Ivy-Bridge Processors Seem to run hotter than SB

matt2155

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
I have been waiting for the Ivy-Bridge processors to come out, and have been looking around on what temps they get.

Couple of people got their hands on one early, and they are getting 100 degrees.
If this is the case im going to stick with getting a Core i5 2500k

Thoughts on this ?

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

Until I see a review or have one in my greedy little paws it is still speculation and you can not make an imformed decision on that. ;)

matt2155

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

Yeah thats true.

Will 2500k's be discontinued straight away after the release ?

i've been thinking about this, SB is a 95W part with a 216mm2 die = 0.44W/mm2 of heat dissipation. IVB is 77W with 160mms die = 0.48W/mm2 of heat dissipation.

I'm not sure how that transfers into deg C but there needs to be a higher heat flux between the chip and the package and the package and the heatsink (although this secondary stage is mitigated by the heat spreading across the die. I would therefore suggest that the contact between the die and the package is having to carry a bigger heat flow, and it may not be as capable of this, hence a greater temp rise, until that temp delta increases the efficiency of the heat flow.

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

Good find there but they actually provide a LINK to xtremesystems.org in which you have to be a member to read. So not exactly open to the ramdon public for comment.

I'm sticking to my earlier statement that we need a open review of the retail product to make any imformed decision. :sol:

matt2155

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Really disappointed about Ivy-Bridge from the things I have heard so far.
I am going to wait until it comes out first, but most likely I will go with 2500k

I will save money, because the Z77 chipset motherboards would not be as cheap as the Z68 motherboards aswell.

I would prefer a much cooler cpu than a 10% performance boost

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
I am using a P67 M/BD and one of my BIOS updates allow the IB to run on my M/BD. I know my M/BD doesn't support Gen 3 but if that is the only thing that might not hold me back from trying it out just for OCing potientail. My hobbie. :sol:

You have to remember that the report was on an engineering sample that was highly overclocked.
I saw no details on the cooler involved.

It the planned build time is anywhere near launch date, it will pay to wait and see.

I do not expect the 2500K to be discontinued for a while. It needs to be there for the replacement market.
Accordingly, do not expect any big price drops at retail. Intel does not seem to do that. Price drops on the used market are likely to reach the price/performance curve of ivy bridge.

matt2155

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

yeah truee

I can't afford though buying a Ivy-Bridge, and testing it out, and if it is running hot, then I cannot take back and I wasted $235
And I have no job, and I am on a budget, so thats even worse lol

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
The speculation about the discontinuance of the 2500K seems to me to be very misguided in this thread. The 2500K is Intel's biggest seller in the gamer/enthusiast market, and one of their biggest sellers over all. It would be killing the Goose that lays the golden eggs. BTW the profit margin on the 2500K have either stayed the same or improved since its introduction.

I would speculate that Intel is more likely to kill off the i7 2600K or 2700K before the 2500K. I doubt that the 2500K will be killed off before '15 or '16, and Intel will reduce profit margin at the end of the life cycle.

matt2155

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

Intel are too money hungry, infact this is what I think they are going to do.
I personally think that IB will be hotter than SB, but I think they will bring out IB-E later on, to get the money out of us. Just like when they had SB and then after a while they released SB-E.

I hate intel

looks like the anand people are thinking about die size too.

but their thoughts on the heat sink being better are probably not true, the only thing that the HSF has to do is maintain as a big a delta T between the package and the sink as possible. This has to be bigger than normal because of the greater W/mm2, but the heatsink itself is not near capacity. Its just can it cannot work as efficiently.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

we (the consumer) will never be in front. Like a dog chasing its tail, albeit from a spectator’s view the dog seems to be having so much fun ^_^

Just spend what/when you can and enjoy the upgrades and the opportunities of handling components :)

Most ES samples are great for overclocking as they can handle the higher voltages.

That said, they always have issues with them which is why any reviews right now cannot be taken at 100%.

When Intel/AMD sends out a press kit to the review sites, thats when we take it at 100% because those are the same stepping we will see and as well all the drivers and such are proper. I don't imagine IB will run much hotter than SB, but it could as it has less die space to spread the heat out.

ngoy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009

Does it matter? They are not going to sell a processor that cooks itself out of the box. Unless your room is where you house your arctic penguin, I don't see what the issue is. And then the pointless rant about this being hotter, and Intel trying to get money out of you, and now you hate intel? WTF? So Intel is supposed to make a chip that overclocks for you, cheaper, because you don't have a job and want to buy a new pc? Are you even overclocking this computer you haven't bought yet? Please don't troll midway through your discussion.

You should have started off with, Hey, I'm planning on getting a new PC soon, and I'm wondering about the overclocking potential of a 2500K against IVB. To which we would have replied, we don't know yet, there are only sparse reports from people who have ES samples, so no one truly knows. But someone supposedly got one up to 7Ghz on liquid cooling.

There really is no need for Intel to continue to produce Sandy Bridge CPUs once Ivy Bridge CPUs have been released. Running a production line takes money continuing to manufacture Sandy Bridge CPU can cannibalize sales of Ivy Bridge CPUs. The right thing to do is to cease all production of Sandy Bridge CPUs, then retool the fabs for future CPU production.

Not everyone needs a 6 core CPU. If you feel that whatever programs you use will benefit from 6 cores, then that's different.

Based on benchmarks that I remember seeing, the only game the really benefited from 6 cores (i7-3960X vs. i7-2600k) was Civilization 5. So games gain little benefit from more than 4 cores. The Sandy Bridge-E series are for the enthusiasts; it's not mainstream. Therefore, if you are an enthusiast and you have the money to spare, then you buy it. If you consider yourself an enthusiast, but you are not willing to spend the money, then perhaps you are not a "true enthusiast" who's willing to pay the price the get the fastest CPU around.

Do you hate Lamborghini, because you cannot afford to buy their cars?

I suppose I have been reading too many rants, about too many different things lately (not just IT related), therefore my suggestion is to switch over to AMD so that you can buy an 8 core CPU at a fraction of what Intel charges for their enthusiast level CPUs. Intel won't miss you and AMD will probably not notice you.

digdog

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012