Solved

Computer Hangs @ BIOS Setup.

Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • BIOS
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
January 20, 2013 9:09:37 AM

I already posted this problem of mine here in tomshardware, but it was unsolved. I don't think its a good idea to bump a 8 months old thread so I decided to make a new one...

CPU: Intel Pentium G620 @ 2.60GHz Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM: 4.00 GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte Tecohnology Co., Ltd. H61M-DS2
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics
HDD: 488GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 ATA Device (SATA)
PSU: Power Choice 580W

I have a problem accessing my BIOS SETTINGS on my Gigabyte H61M-DS2 (Rev 2.1). Every time I press on any of the Function Keys during the POST it will HANG, showing only a black screen and _ (underscore) on the top left of the screen. In other words I cannot access the BIOS Setup for some Unknown Reasons. I can log on to Windows, I can browse the Net & Play Games. It's just the BIOS setup that needs attention.

Here's a list of what I tried:

1. Clearing the CMOS using Jumper & Taking Off the Battery - I did this almost 8 months ago, what happened is, after I power on the computer It already shows a black screen with underscore on the top left. Keyboard is not functioning. No BIOS Splash Screen, No Beeps. In order to FIX this I brought the System Unit on my supplier. In my surprised the system booted up normally showing the BIOS setup. :??: 

therefore... I don't think my BIOS is outdated since it works fine on the shop, no reasons for updating the BIOS i guess?. also the PSU. They just plug in my system unit.. only the hardware changes.. Main Outlet, Monitor, Keyboard & Mouse. BTW, I'm using PS/2 KB & Mouse.

2. Disconnecting HDD, ODD and 1 slot of RAM. - didn't work.

3. No video cards atm. I'm using the build in VGA from motherboard.

------------------------------

Summary:

How on earth can these be happened. My BIOS setup is working on Computer Repair Shop but not on my Home? :sarcastic: 
Do you think it's with the Monitor? I don't have a spare monitor here. Do you think there is a chance that my Monitor which is AOC 716Sw is not compatible on my motherboard BIOS?

Few More info, when I clear the CMOS here in my home my PC it went dead (or it just ACT DEAD). I have no more option but to bring it on my supplier. Normally when clearing CMOS you don't to press the DEL or F2 etc. to go to the BIOS setup, Instead have you have to pick some options including "Load Optimize Default". But this option didn't show up here at home, yet it shows up on the supplier upon testing.

Computer is working fine, can browse the web, can play games, no abnormalities when on O.S mode. But my PC when at home cannot display anything related to BIOS.

Any Help?

I hope I don't need to clear the CMOS again, I know the same result will happened. :D 

More about : computer hangs bios setup

a c 559 V Motherboard
January 20, 2013 10:36:06 AM

Then try changing the keyboard and mouse. Borrow USB ones and test.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2013 12:40:13 PM

Yes, I'd switch monitor, keyboard, and mouse one by one until you find the culprit.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

March 20, 2013 6:49:30 AM

ahh i already found the culprit.... its the monitor.. i switched with a higher resolution... it seems that my monitor AOC (1280*720) dont want to display my BIOS setup.. i tried using our Sony Bravia TV (forgot the reso.) but its big... and it worked !!!
January 8, 2014 7:46:04 AM

hey guyz i have the same problem bt my board is gigabyte b75m-d3h
when i prees delete or F12 it just hangs there doing nothing.....i also dont have any other issues
m
l
January 8, 2014 8:58:49 AM

prob. solved i unplugged the usb controller and itz no more hanging i mean DAFUQ
m
l
!