Black border (overscan) HDMI Windows 7 Mac ATI

carlosnashos

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Hey folks

Just thought I'd share with you a fix that worked for me for what seems to be a common problem and took me a while to figure out.

I have a 2006 MacBook Pro with the ATI Radeon X1600 graphics running Windows 7 ultimate in Boot Camp.

The problem I was having was that when I connected an external monitor via HDMI cable (with a DVI to HDMI adapter), the display would shrink and be surrounded by a thick black border, it would also become quite blurry. I discovered this to be the result of 'Overscan'. I didn't get this problem while connected by DVI cable.

I disabled overscan on the monitor which did change the thickness of the border but did not get rid of it.
While searching, the common answer I kept coming across was to disable overscan using Catalyst Control Center, but as many Mac owners may know, installing CCC on a Mac boot camp Windows can be troublesome if even possible!

I found that if I booted up while connected by DVI cable then swapped to HDMI while in Windows, the border would stay gone...until I rebooted or woke up from sleep (but that's a whole 'nother thread!).

I then thought if I can’t install CCC to change the setting for me, I could maybe just change a setting in the registry myself.
After much searching I came across a few threads talking about which registry settings to change, most related to finding an 'underscan' or 'overscan' key in the reg and usually to do with Media Centre. I found a few keys relating to this and tried setting them first at 0 and then 1 (rebooting in-between), which made no difference.

Eventually I came across a key with the name 'DALR6 DFP 1920x1080x0x59', I knew my resolution was set to 1920x1080 and 59Hertz so I figured this was my current setting, the value was a REG_BINARY with a whole lot of 0's as the value, I remembered one thread I came across mentioned a long number with all 0's but with one 8 in it (although the name of theirs was something like 'overscan').

So anyway, I noticed mine had one lonely 8 in-between all these 0's, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

The location was HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{F919BA70-85CB-4C9B-AA7C-2FC7404F4FC2}\0000

In 'Video' was another 8 folders with similar long letter/number names and I went through them all before spotting my resolution.
I backed up the registry key before modifying it and then changed the 8 to a 0. Closed everything down and rebooted.
When it restarted my display was a full crisp 1920x1080 HD and has been ever since!

I've spent a long time trying to fix this and almost gave up after failing to install CCC (even after a fresh install), so I hope this can help someone else with a similar problem.

Cheers
Carl

jonboy26

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Wow Carl, that's awesome work! I just finished an bootcamp install of Windows 7 on my new mac mini and was disappointed to find the black border around my monitor when running it buy HDMI, yet it's totally normal when connected by DVI.

I'll give your fix a shot as there really doesnt seem to be any other options. I cant believe this issue is still affecting bootcamp installs on 2011 Macs.

Thanks Carl!

jonboy26

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

I haven't tried tweaking the registry just yet as I found a thread stating that you can fix the issue by installing AMD's catalyst 11.8 software. See the Mac rumours link below for more info;

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1219702