Your question

ASUS GTX560 Ti over doing it?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Asus
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 14, 2011 3:00:43 AM

Looking at upgrading my video card. I have the first gen release of the ASUS ATI 5770 video card and it keeps freezing and crashing my computer when I play games. It seems to freeze and mess up at 60C

Rather than constantly trying to find the right update to prevent it from freezing on me playing certain games I want to upgrade.

I normally only play games like WoW and Dragon Age. I have a 27" monitor at 1920 x 1200 resolution. I have an i7 920 that I can't overclock because it seemed to cause my video card to crash more often.

The replacement card I'm looking for is the ASUS GTX560 Ti. Found the overclocked version on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/ENGTX560-DCII-TOP-2DI-1GD5/dp/B00...

I'm wondering if it maybe too much and if going for a lower rater card like the GTX550 Ti would be better? Found a 550 Ti with 2 GB ram on newegg for a little less. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

What are some opinions? WOuld it be best to just go with the 560 specially with the fact it now comes with the new Batman game?

More about : asus gtx560

a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2011 3:52:25 AM

for WoW i have seen cards with more RAM perform better than those with slightly better clock speeds but less RAM. (one of the only games ive seen to perform like that)

its going to depend on ur budget. if u can find / afford a 560ti with 2gb ram would be better.

if not id take the 550ti with 2gb over the 560ti with 1gb (for WoW anyway)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2011 4:23:29 AM

If you video card crashes when you overclock your CPU, then it sounds like you have a power supply problem and you're running out of juice.

What's the make and model of your PSU? How many Amps are on the +12V rail?

It doesn't sound like a new power hungry graphics card would fix the crashing to me.

As far as the graphics cards...at your resolution, 1GB of VRAM is the minimum you'd want and some titles will see benefits with more VRAM. But I'd go with a higher end model before wasting money on more memory. For example, a GTX 460 1GB will still outperform a GTX 550Ti with 2GB of memory. Also, I don't give much credit to factory overclocked cards. I do just as well overclocking it myself. Dual fan helps though.

For WOW and Dragon Age, you don't need to upgrade from the 5770. Also, at that $150 for the GTX 550Ti, you may as well get a much stronger 6870. I think you'd be happy with the GTX 560Ti if you can afford it (I've seen them for $175).

But like I said at first--what's your PSU? It sounds like it's likely the crux of your problem.
m
l
Related resources
October 14, 2011 4:34:48 AM

850 watt psu with 70 amps on the rail. I bought it planning to eventually crossfire but after buying the card I started reading a lot of people having the same issue I was. Red black lines, card freezing the computer, etc. Asus redesigned the card eventually but I never wanted crossfire an already bad card. Now its almost more expensive to get a new 5770 than just upgrading to something better.

***edit
Forgot that my system specs are in my signature.
m
l
October 14, 2011 4:40:15 AM

+1 for being a PSU issue, sounds like that is the real issue here as your Vid Card sucks more power. Definately something to think about as getting a newer card, that potentially uses more power will not get you anywhere.

Do you get BSOD's when crash happens?

As far as video card goes, I would get the 560ti out of the two... might be worth saving a little extra for a 2gb version.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read your last post. If you are sure it isn't PSU then the 560ti is the better card. However I would be putting my money into a 6870 or spend a little more for a 6950.
m
l
a c 120 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 14, 2011 5:01:07 AM

the over clock......... could be not enough voltage to the ram and or processor.

freezing/crashing....... could be a heat thing..??

the video card........ I game at 1920x1200. 2gigs of memory is the way to go. Right now I have a 5850 1gig card on DX9 and have stumbles in some games. I have an older MSI Lightning, slower, but has double the memory. Runs everything flawlessly. Used to run these cards under Vista, same results.

gotta say to get the fastest card you can get with more than 1gig of ram. The new BF3 eats about 1700mb.

on my main gamer........ 6950 2gig card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2011 5:05:02 AM

At 1080p res WoW on ultra settigs sucks in around 650-700 mb of video ram at most. So you dont need a 2gb card, a 1gb will be plenty.
m
l
October 14, 2011 5:11:35 AM

I am actually suprised WoW needs more than 1gb of VRAM, even at that res.

If you're set on Nvidia I would save the little bit of extra cash and get a 560ti 2gb over the 550, Just my 2 cents though.
m
l
a c 120 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 14, 2011 5:14:22 AM

I hate apples............ what happens when he goes to run games other than what's listed ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2011 5:22:24 AM

swifty_morgan said:
I hate apples............ what happens when he goes to run games other than what's listed ?

To my knowledge there is no game that requires 1gb ram at 1080p. WoW is actually one of the more demanding games due to outdated engine (not super efficient at texture compression). You only 2gb of ram if Use 30+ monitors or dual/triple monitor set ups.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2011 5:24:54 AM

Hmmm...same Corsair TX850 I have...

But I don't see how OC'ing the CPU could cause the video card to mess up. Try OC'ing again--just something light like 3.4GHz. It should do that with everything on stock voltages (RAM at 1.65V). Make sure you keep the RAM settings slow so they agree with what's printed on the stick. If your system doesn't freeze except when loading the graphics card, then it's the graphics card and you can upgrade to a better one.
m
l
a c 120 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 14, 2011 5:28:53 AM

vilenjan said:
To my knowledge there is no game that requires 1gb ram at 1080p. WoW is actually one of the more demanding games due to outdated engine (not super efficient at texture compression). You only 2gb of ram if Use 30+ monitors or dual/triple monitor set ups.

it's 1920x1200 if I read his post correctly. Here's a game that uses more than 1gig of ram at his res.......

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
m
l
October 14, 2011 5:29:26 AM

Pretty sure there are alot of reports of BF3 using over 1gb of VRAM, I would personally get a 2gb but at the same time I wouldn't buy a 550.

Out of the two the 560ti is the go, worst case scenario you just go SLi down the track :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2011 5:31:52 AM

G6ET1987 said:
Pretty sure there are alot of reports of BF3 using over 1gb of VRAM, I would personally get a 2gb but at the same time I wouldn't buy a 550.

Out of the two the 560ti is the go, worst case scenario you just go SLi down the track :) 

BF3 on caspian uses roughly 1.3..... I wouldnt worry so much about getting 2gb of ram as it was a BETA. srsly folks, DICE has more sense than to put out somethign that uses that much memory for flat, still images for the backdrop. the beta was an unoptimized pile of crap
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2011 5:46:25 AM

If you're REALLY worried about the VRAM, just get a 6950 2GB.
m
l
October 14, 2011 5:48:01 AM

+1 for the 6950! Great card for the money
m
l
a c 120 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 14, 2011 5:51:13 AM

I really don't want to get in a pissing match but I suppose we already ruined this guys post. The proof is in the benchmark I posted ( as much as I hate posting stuff like that ) Take that game and go on line with 32 or 64 people and all hell breaks out, what do you suppose is going to happen ? And then somebody says just sli the card. 2 cards with 1gig of video ram still leaves only 1gig of video ram not 2'. Games have changed and the demands are getting greater and greater. if some people refuse to open their eyes and see that, so be it.
m
l
a c 120 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 14, 2011 5:54:16 AM

To the OP, sorry to ruin your thread. I can see the position you're in if nobody else can. If you shop at newegg and you can afford $50 a month, they have a newegg "preferred account" where you can charge ( $250 minimum ) and have 6 months to pay it off...... if that helps. If not your options are limited and you'll have to dig through this whole mess to try and find a solution. Good Luck.
m
l
a c 120 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 14, 2011 6:05:24 AM

dalauder said:
I thought we were talking about VRAM usage? Does RAM usage directly translate?

when I say ram I mean vram.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2011 6:28:06 AM

If money is really an issue, just wait until November and you'll save yourself $50 if you catch a sale. I wouldn't be surpised to see HD 6950 2GB's going for under $200.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2011 6:12:29 PM

swifty_morgan said:
I really don't want to get in a pissing match but I suppose we already ruined this guys post. The proof is in the benchmark I posted ( as much as I hate posting stuff like that ) Take that game and go on line with 32 or 64 people and all hell breaks out, what do you suppose is going to happen ? And then somebody says just sli the card. 2 cards with 1gig of video ram still leaves only 1gig of video ram not 2'. Games have changed and the demands are getting greater and greater. if some people refuse to open their eyes and see that, so be it.

Agreed on the vram; alot of people think that xfiring or sli doubles the Vram... it does not.
m
l
October 14, 2011 6:45:21 PM

When making this post I tried to avoid the debate of NVIDIA vs ATI but of well. The 5770 is just a bad card. I got it the day after they released the models or soon after that. There had been a lot of others having the same issue I am.

Honestly, I like the performance from my 5770. It just crashes the system constantly if I'm not careful in the driver. Right now I'm on default windows drivers till I rediscover a working driver that won't crash once catalyst opens up.

I am trying to stay below 200 but ill push a little for this 219 price for the 560ti.
But i am confused. Is the performance from the extra RAM on the 550 better than just the OC on the 560? A few posts seem that the 560 would be better, well maybe not for WoW but that's ok.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2011 6:57:34 PM

extra ram on a 550? the architecture of the chip isnt as powerful, it isnt all about vram. 1g is just fine as far as vram goes. the only way you would need more than 1g dedicated is if you were going resolutions higher than 1920x1080 or a multiple monitor setup. the 560Ti will be a nice upgrade if you can swing it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2011 11:54:58 PM

If you are just doing WoW, then a 2GB GT 550Ti should max it out at 1920x1200. If you are playing any game from the last two years, then a GT 550Ti will seem anemic at that resolution, regardless of the VRAM. Unfortunately, because of your particularly high resolution, a GTX 560Ti does not come with quite enough VRAM to allow you to max everything out--despite the GPU itself being capable of handling the load.

If you're willing to spend $219, as you say. You will get by far the best gaming experience with a Radeon 6950 2GB. Keep an eye on sale sites like slickdeals.net and sign up for NCIX's email list. They've been as low as $199 AR: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3346094

As Black Friday approaches, I think that price will get more common and easier to catch, since the above price went OOS very quickly.

There are other cheaper options for you, but at your resolution they won't provide a stellar gaming experience, so I haven't recommended them.
m
l
!