Sign in with
Your question

3 Monitor Eyefinity, setup $1000-$2000

Last response: in Systems
December 10, 2011 1:56:53 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: when I find what i need

Budget Range: 1000-2000 Before or After Rebates, good deals appreciated

System Usage from Most to Least Important: : work, web development/design and, gaming, currently play Rage and Star Wars: The Old Republic

Parts Not Required: OS Windows Ultimate 64Bit, CD Rom Drive, speakers, mouse, keyboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com or others, depending the deals and quality of parts

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (Intel for the processor had a bad AMD experience)

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: yes

Monitor Resolution: I have 2 monitors running at 1680x1050 will need a third

Additional Comments: : looking for smooth running, at a reasonable price

December 10, 2011 3:17:40 PM

Are you planning on running in portrait or landscape?
December 10, 2011 3:37:52 PM

esoteric-NH said:
Approximate Purchase Date: when I find what i need

Budget Range: 1000-2000 Before or After Rebates, good deals appreciated

System Usage from Most to Least Important: : work, web development/design and, gaming, currently play Rage and Star Wars: The Old Republic

Parts Not Required: OS Windows Ultimate 64Bit, CD Rom Drive, speakers, mouse, keyboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com or others, depending the deals and quality of parts

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (Intel for the processor had a bad AMD experience)

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: yes

Monitor Resolution: I have 2 monitors running at 1680x1050 will need a third

Additional Comments: : looking for smooth running, at a reasonable price

Intel 2500k if gaming is your main thing or 2600k if you're using it for heavily threaded applications. Micro center has the best deal on the planet for these..$180 for 2500k and $280 for 2600k. In addition when you get a mobo with it..you get $50 off on the mobo too..and the mobos are priced closer to newegg.

Video card- Frankly wait till 7000 series of AMD in Q1 2012..it will be much more future proof and bang for buck. If you had to get it now then go with Radeon 6970 Crossfire. The cheapest dual fan design ones you can find. Don't go with nvidia because their cards lack Vram which you need when running 3 monitors. not saying they are bad..but for the same price point Radeons are better with 2gb Vram on each card.

Tower- Your choice...but I say stick to CM 692. Fits everything and costs less. Never understood why folks pay $200 for a case...it does nothing unless you're a watercooling guy.

Mobo- Asus p67 pro, evo, or Z68 same stuff. Asrock extreme 4...same p67 or z68.

Ram 8gb - 1600mhz. don't spend more than $35 on this. Its adds nothing extra. If you can go with timings of 8-8-8-24. Any less is a waste of money.

optical drive- bluray burner. Don't spend more than $80.

PSU- Get 1000w or atleast 950W because even though 850W is enough psus lose their capacity overtime so its good to be safe and the price difference isn't that much. Don't spend more than $140 on this and just make sure the 12v rails have 80amps minimum. Thats a sign of a good powersupply at 1000W. DONOT pay anything extra for a stamp of that 80+ non-sense. Its total fraud.

Corsair, PC power cooling, XFX, Coolermaster, cougar,etc are all good. Stay away from Xclio and Rosewill.

rest is up to you...its not that expensive.
Related resources
December 10, 2011 5:16:37 PM

a4mula said:
Are you planning on running in portrait or landscape?

Landscape
December 10, 2011 5:18:25 PM

dharmenparikh said:
Intel 2500k if gaming is your main thing or 2600k if you're using it for heavily threaded applications. Micro center has the best deal on the planet for these..$180 for 2500k and $280 for 2600k. In addition when you get a mobo with it..you get $50 off on the mobo too..and the mobos are priced closer to newegg.

Video card- Frankly wait till 7000 series of AMD in Q1 2012..it will be much more future proof and bang for buck. If you had to get it now then go with Radeon 6970 Crossfire. The cheapest dual fan design ones you can find. Don't go with nvidia because their cards lack Vram which you need when running 3 monitors. not saying they are bad..but for the same price point Radeons are better with 2gb Vram on each card.

Tower- Your choice...but I say stick to CM 692. Fits everything and costs less. Never understood why folks pay $200 for a case...it does nothing unless you're a watercooling guy.

Mobo- Asus p67 pro, evo, or Z68 same stuff. Asrock extreme 4...same p67 or z68.

Ram 8gb - 1600mhz. don't spend more than $35 on this. Its adds nothing extra. If you can go with timings of 8-8-8-24. Any less is a waste of money.

optical drive- bluray burner. Don't spend more than $80.

PSU- Get 1000w or atleast 950W because even though 850W is enough psus lose their capacity overtime so its good to be safe and the price difference isn't that much. Don't spend more than $140 on this and just make sure the 12v rails have 80amps minimum. Thats a sign of a good powersupply at 1000W. DONOT pay anything extra for a stamp of that 80+ non-sense. Its total fraud.

Corsair, PC power cooling, XFX, Coolermaster, cougar,etc are all good. Stay away from Xclio and Rosewill.

rest is up to you...its not that expensive.

Thanks for the tips, especially the video card, I'm not in a hurry just looking for a solid build.

!