Need to talk to a tech who is familier with encyrptions

pat

Expert

Have a ongoing problem with not sending mail with MSN. after two (2)
hard drive reformating, the last one did a fix but only lasted about 12
days and now is back, my repair person got on phone and talked to person
at Nai who did not know how to remove the folder in my mail, my tech
said it was embeded in the drive and is encyripted. I am not sure just
what this all means, but if someone could talk to him personally or by
e-mail maybe this problem could be fixed. I can send mail with hotmail
and now using outlook but would like to get back with MSN mail and get
it working right. This has been going on since May. I have three (3)
seperate folders on my MSN inbox, 1) Folders on MSN, inbox, sent, trash,
junk, 2) MSN, inbox, junk, 3) Folders on your computer,, Stored ,
Drafts, Outbox, sent, trash. Number 2 is the one that should not be
there. But can't remove it. I hope someone understands all this and is
willing to help with this problem. Thank You. Pat I have XP 9 Dial-up

"pat" <pmurphtbird1123@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Have a ongoing problem with not sending mail with MSN. after two (2)
> hard drive reformating, the last one did a fix but only lasted about 12
> days and now is back, my repair person got on phone and talked to person
> at Nai who did not know how to remove the folder in my mail, my tech
> said it was embeded in the drive and is encyripted. I am not sure just
> what this all means, but if someone could talk to him personally or by
> e-mail maybe this problem could be fixed. I can send mail with hotmail
> and now using outlook but would like to get back with MSN mail and get
> it working right. This has been going on since May. I have three (3)
> seperate folders on my MSN inbox, 1) Folders on MSN, inbox, sent, trash,
> junk, 2) MSN, inbox, junk, 3) Folders on your computer,, Stored ,
> Drafts, Outbox, sent, trash. Number 2 is the one that should not be
> there. But can't remove it. I hope someone understands all this and is
> willing to help with this problem. Thank You. Pat I have XP 9 Dial-up

If you didn't encrypt the folder and no one else who uses your computer
encrypted the folder, it can't be encrypted. It's not something magical that
happens to files, it's something you'd have to do.

I'd suggest you find another tech.

By the way, when you post something like this, it might be helpful if you
explain what things like NAI mean. In the context, it could be your ISP,
your computer manufacturer, or anyone else the tech decided to call. And XP
9 dial-up doesn't parse either. Not that it matters.

Also, it's not clear if you're talking about webmail, which means those
folders reside on MSN's end and have nothing to do with your computer...or
if you're talking about folders on your machine. It sounds like you've got
both, somehow. If they're web-based folders, you need to talk to MSN. If
they're on your computer, it might be easiest to just save whatever you
need, delete every remnant of MSN and reinstall it.

In the future, if you have problems sending mail on a computer that is set
up and was working before, it's not always wise to assume that the problem
is with your computer. It could very well be that the problem is with the
ISP and you end up breaking things that weren't broken before.

pat

Expert

Ok, first of all, I goofed, should have been NIA, msn state -side, tech
help line, sorry. I have talked at least 10 reps. for a solution, all of
them have given a maybe this will do the trick. Not. My repair person
was on the fone for over an hour with them on Saturday. I have
uninstalled, reinstalled MSN three times and reformated the hard drive
twice, the last time did the trick and the # 2 folder in my msn mail
inbox was not there and was able to send my email again, as I stated
lasted about 10 days and all of a sudden that # 2 folder on the left
side of the inbox msn mail was back and now unable to send my email once
again. My repair man says its with msn, but finding a person who knows
how to remove that folder without having to reformat the hard drive
again. I thought there would be some one here in this group or perhaps
another that would have a solution. Or name of a person, or a phone
number to call. Of course, as stated, I can send email with hotmail and
outlook, and I guess it comes down to the principle, if its there and
should not be why can't it be erased........

> Ok, first of all, I goofed, should have been NIA, msn state -side, tech
> help line, sorry. I have talked at least 10 reps. for a solution, all of
> them have given a maybe this will do the trick. Not. My repair person
> was on the fone for over an hour with them on Saturday. I have
> uninstalled, reinstalled MSN three times and reformated the hard drive
> twice, the last time did the trick and the # 2 folder in my msn mail
> inbox was not there and was able to send my email again, as I stated
> lasted about 10 days and all of a sudden that # 2 folder on the left
> side of the inbox msn mail was back and now unable to send my email once
> again. My repair man says its with msn, but finding a person who knows
> how to remove that folder without having to reformat the hard drive
> again. I thought there would be some one here in this group or perhaps
> another that would have a solution. Or name of a person, or a phone
> number to call. Of course, as stated, I can send email with hotmail and
> outlook, and I guess it comes down to the principle, if its there and
> should not be why can't it be erased........

The first thing that need to be figured out is whether that folder is on
your computer or is something on MSNs server. If it's on their server, they
have to take care of it, and reformatting the computer isn't going to do
anything. I suppose it might vanish for a while until you access it, but
formatting your computer isn't going to delete something on their server.

If it's on your computer, a complete removal of the MSN software should get
rid of it. I'm not talking about doing an uninstall, I'm talking about
manually hunting down every file, folder and registry key involved. And
that's not something that can be advised over the phone or via a newsgroup.
Someone who knows what they're doing has to be sitting at the computer
looking for those files.

pat

Expert

Thank you, NOW, how do I, we, or someone determine just where the
problem lies. With my pc or with the MSN server???????? Pat

> Thank you, NOW, how do I, we, or someone determine just where the
> problem lies. With my pc or with the MSN server???????? Pat

A good tech sitting in front of the computer ought to be able to figure it
out. I doubt someone could figure it out on a newsgroup and it would be
darned tedious over the phone. The only sane way to do it is sitting in
front of the computer.