Audio via HDMI Connection

Absincog

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
I am considering building a compact gaming PC based on a micro-ATX board for use with an LCD flat panel TV and home theatre surround system. One requirement is to be able to connect the HDMI output from the graphics card (haven't decided which to buy yet, likely an HD7950 or GTX 670) to the A/V receiver to transmit both audio and video.

I have reviewed the user manual for several boards I'm considering (G1.Sniper M3, MAXIMUS V Gene, Asrock Z77 Extreme4) and cannot tell whether they support this functionality or whether i'd be forced to use an SPDIF optical or coax connection to the receiver to transmit the sound.

I'd appreciate an answer from someone who has accomplished this. Thanks.

If you're connecting the hdmi cable to the video card, why are you expecting the motherboard manuals to tell you whether it's supported? What matters is the hardware and drivers for the video card. I think it's required for any video card with hdmi output to support sound output through the hdmi, though there could be variations in what audio formats are supported.

Absincog

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Thank you for the response. So from your answer, it sounds like it is a function of the chipset architecture, PCI Express and HDMI standards, and the specifics are dependent on the video card.