Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Accidentally Kinked wire on HD Audio cable - safe?

Last response: in Components
March 15, 2012 1:47:54 PM

Just a quick question, I bought this case recently for my new system:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm setting up everything last night and I screw up royally (or so I think). When I'm trying to place a Expansion slot cover back onto the case I accidently pinched the black cable on the HD Audio connector. I do not have a picture on me, but its the wire that is closed loop on the connector. The wire is pinched past the cover to the wire itself, and it looks like its kinked, not cut all the way through.

My question, if anyone knows, is would it be safe to try and turn on the computer and nothing would be fried because of this? Could I just electric tape the kink and be done? Is the HD audio cable ABSOLUTELY necessary to running the computer?

Help would be appreciated on this, thanks!!

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
March 15, 2012 2:25:09 PM

It's safe to run your system, nothing will be fried. You could try using electrical tape to re-insulate it. Or you could disconnect it from the motherboard.

It's the cable that transmits audio to the case's front panel for headphones and microphone. If you cut the insulation, it will "short" the sound to the front panel, but it will not hurt your motherboard; you won't be able to use headphones or a mic on the front panel.
March 15, 2012 2:30:02 PM

Best answer selected by Karroog.
Score
Related resources
March 15, 2012 2:30:25 PM

treefrog07 said:
It's safe to run your system, nothing will be fried. You could try using electrical tape to re-insulate it. Or you could disconnect it from the motherboard.

It's the cable that transmits audio to the case's front panel for headphones and microphone. If you cut the insulation, it will "short" the sound to the front panel, but it will not hurt your motherboard; you won't be able to use headphones or a mic on the front panel.

That'll do. Thanks!
Score
a b ) Power supply
March 15, 2012 3:22:07 PM

You're welcome.
Score
!