How reinstate "15 second" message on display properties?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

On my XP Pro system I have lost the message which comes up after making a
change to the display settings (monitor refresh rate, font size, etc) which
says that I have 15 seconds to accept the new settings or it will revert
back to the old settings.

Instead I get a popup window saying "Compatibitilty Warning" offering me
the choice of restarting the PC with the new settings or applying the new
settings immediately.

How do I get back the "15 second" message?

null

Maerko wrote:
> On my XP Pro system I have lost the message which comes up after making a
> change to the display settings (monitor refresh rate, font size, etc) which
> says that I have 15 seconds to accept the new settings or it will revert
> back to the old settings.
>
> Instead I get a popup window saying "Compatibitilty Warning" offering me
> the choice of restarting the PC with the new settings or applying the new
> settings immediately.
>
> How do I get back the "15 second" message?

Right-click an empty part of the desktop.
Select Properties.
Click the Settings tab.
Click the Advanced button.
Click the General tab.
Near the bottom of the window, select Ask Me before applying the new
display settings.
Click Apply, then click OK twice.

posted here.

null <null@planetzero.com> wrote:

> Right-click an empty part of the desktop.
> Select Properties.
> Click the Settings tab.
> Click the Advanced button.
> Click the General tab.
> Near the bottom of the window, select Ask Me before applying
> the new display settings.
> Click Apply, then click OK twice.

Strangely, I already have that box checked ("Ask Me before applying the new
display settings"). And yet I still get ni dialog which gives me 15
seconds.

I must have fiddled with something in the registry.

Does anyone know what else I can try?