1.3 crop 12MP canon this fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

This will be waiting in the wings to compete with Nikon D200 when it (if it) gets
released.

Poor nikon this is what happens when they become complacent and rely on Sony for
sensors.

Atleast Nikon can compete in the amateur camera market atleast

Roy wrote in part:

> A bad tradesman always blames his tools, and someone who does nothing except
> praise his tools, probably does nothing.

Yep. I suspect this near-fetishitic attachment to gear also helped fuel
the debate over digital photography itself.

> While I am on this theme, I also don't care if any part of your anatomy is
> bigger than mine.

Although I'm sorry to hear about your puny uvula, denial won't help.

Heh.

Corry

http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

"The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become
the instruments of tyranny at home" - James Madison

"dave" <dave@yahooc.com> wrote in message
> This will be waiting in the wings to compete with Nikon D200 when it (if
> it) gets
> released.
>
> Poor nikon this is what happens when they become complacent and rely on
> Sony for
> sensors.
>
> Atleast Nikon can compete in the amateur camera market atleast

Or is this just so the 1DMkII can catch up to the D2X?

Darrell

"dave" <dave@yahooc.com> wrote in message
> This will be waiting in the wings to compete with Nikon D200 when it (if
> it) gets
> released.
>
> Poor nikon this is what happens when they become complacent and rely on
> Sony for
> sensors.
>
> Atleast Nikon can compete in the amateur camera market atleast

The Pro market is small, whereas the amateur market is huge. Expect to see
several sub $1000 dSLRs released this year. The anti-Nikon trolls IMHO don't
take photos all they do is post to newsgroups and forums, fondling their
Rebels wishing they were 1Ds mk.II's The market is for D50s, XTs E-Volts,
*ist DS and D5s. I sell ten Rebels for every 20D, and 100 Rebels for every
1D mk.II's. That shows me what the market demands are.

"Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote in message

> "dave" <dave@yahooc.com> wrote in message
>> This will be waiting in the wings to compete with Nikon D200 when it (if
>> it) gets
>> released.
>>
>> Poor nikon this is what happens when they become complacent and rely on
>> Sony for
>> sensors.
>>
>> Atleast Nikon can compete in the amateur camera market atleast
>>
> The Pro market is small, whereas the amateur market is huge. Expect to see
> several sub $1000 dSLRs released this year. The anti-Nikon trolls IMHO
> don't take photos all they do is post to newsgroups and forums, fondling
> their Rebels wishing they were 1Ds mk.II's The market is for D50s, XTs
> E-Volts, *ist DS and D5s. I sell ten Rebels for every 20D, and 100 Rebels
> for every 1D mk.II's. That shows me what the market demands are.

1D and 1Ds bodies are the camera equivalent of Vipers and Corvettes, what
the car business calls "halo cars." They get customers into the showrooms,
where the dealer hopes the image of the fast and furious will carry over to
other vehicles so those customers will drive off with minivans and sedans.
The camera guys want the aura of the high speed, high res cameras to carry
over to the lower line bodies, thus the "see what we can do if we want"
engineering.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

jean

"Darrell" <spam@this.eh> a écrit dans le message de

> "dave" <dave@yahooc.com> wrote in message
> > This will be waiting in the wings to compete with Nikon D200 when it (if
> > it) gets
> > released.
> >
> > Poor nikon this is what happens when they become complacent and rely on
> > Sony for
> > sensors.
> >
> > Atleast Nikon can compete in the amateur camera market atleast
> >
> The Pro market is small, whereas the amateur market is huge. Expect to see
> several sub $1000 dSLRs released this year. The anti-Nikon trolls IMHO
don't
> take photos all they do is post to newsgroups and forums, fondling their
> Rebels wishing they were 1Ds mk.II's The market is for D50s, XTs E-Volts,
> *ist DS and D5s. I sell ten Rebels for every 20D, and 100 Rebels for every
> 1D mk.II's. That shows me what the market demands are.

Or how capabale the "lowly" Drebel, D70... are! You don't "need" a 400HP
Viper to drive 70mph down the freeway.

Jean

In article <P3Mde.5605$3U.461246@news20.bellglobal.com>,
jean <try-to@find.it> wrote:

>Or how capabale the "lowly" Drebel, D70... are! You don't "need" a 400HP
>Viper to drive 70mph down the freeway.

Judging by the "quality" of the automatic gearboxes in the rental cars I've
driven on my trips to the US, I wouldn't be so sure...

> "Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote in message
>>
>> "dave" <dave@yahooc.com> wrote in message
>>> This will be waiting in the wings to compete with Nikon D200 when it (if
>>> it) gets
>>> released.
>>>
>>> Poor nikon this is what happens when they become complacent and rely on
>>> Sony for
>>> sensors.
>>>
>>> Atleast Nikon can compete in the amateur camera market atleast
>>>
>> The Pro market is small, whereas the amateur market is huge. Expect to
>> see several sub $1000 dSLRs released this year. The anti-Nikon trolls
>> IMHO don't take photos all they do is post to newsgroups and forums,
>> fondling their Rebels wishing they were 1Ds mk.II's The market is for
>> D50s, XTs E-Volts, *ist DS and D5s. I sell ten Rebels for every 20D, and
>> 100 Rebels for every 1D mk.II's. That shows me what the market demands
>> are.
>>

> 1D and 1Ds bodies are the camera equivalent of Vipers and Corvettes, what
> the car business calls "halo cars." They get customers into the
> showrooms, where the dealer hopes the image of the fast and furious will
> carry over to other vehicles so those customers will drive off with
> minivans and sedans. The camera guys want the aura of the high speed, high
> res cameras to carry over to the lower line bodies, thus the "see what we
> can do if we want" engineering.

It certainly spills over as bragging rights brand-name buzz-creators, yes.
-But to the pros who need that speed and resolution, there's nothing
"holo-ish" about them.

> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message

>> 1D and 1Ds bodies are the camera equivalent of Vipers and Corvettes, what
>> the car business calls "halo cars." They get customers into the
>> showrooms, where the dealer hopes the image of the fast and furious will
>> carry over to other vehicles so those customers will drive off with
>> minivans and sedans. The camera guys want the aura of the high speed,
>> high res cameras to carry over to the lower line bodies, thus the "see
>> what we can do if we want" engineering.
>
> It certainly spills over as bragging rights brand-name buzz-creators, yes.
> -But to the pros who need that speed and resolution, there's nothing
> "holo-ish" about them.

No, but those aren't really the guys the ads in the magazines are aimed at,
even though the ad may be for a Canon 1Ds mkII or Nikon D2x, they're really
selling to the guy who's going to buy a Rebel XT or D50/D70.
There's nothing haloish about a Viper or 'Vette to the guy/gal who buys one,
either... ;-)

--

>> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
>

>>> 1D and 1Ds bodies are the camera equivalent of Vipers and Corvettes,
>>> what the car business calls "halo cars." They get customers into the
>>> showrooms, where the dealer hopes the image of the fast and furious will
>>> carry over to other vehicles so those customers will drive off with
>>> minivans and sedans. The camera guys want the aura of the high speed,
>>> high res cameras to carry over to the lower line bodies, thus the "see
>>> what we can do if we want" engineering.
>>
>> It certainly spills over as bragging rights brand-name buzz-creators,
>> yes.
>> -But to the pros who need that speed and resolution, there's nothing
>> "holo-ish" about them.
>>

> No, but those aren't really the guys the ads in the magazines are aimed
> at, even though the ad may be for a Canon 1Ds mkII or Nikon D2x, they're
> really selling to the guy who's going to buy a Rebel XT or D50/D70.
> There's nothing haloish about a Viper or 'Vette to the guy/gal who buys
> one, either... ;-)

Perhaps you're right...
-Although even pros are subject to severe cases of magazine drool...
:)

Roy wrote:

> A bad tradesman always blames his tools, and someone who does nothing except
> praise his tools, probably does nothing.

Many years ago I worked as a newspaper reporter of sorts, and began
taking my own photographs rather than bother with locating an available
photographer every time I needed a picture. I did just fine using
"amateur" equipment, even winning a photofeature award while relying
exclusively on a Yashica SLR. Later I was able to justify upgrades to
Pentax and eventually Nikon gear; my photos improved because I gained
experience in taking photographs, not because my cameras sported more
prestigious namesplates.

These days the film cameras are gone and my current main camera is a
Canon Powershot A20 -- not only an entry-level point-and-shoot digital,
but one with only a 2-megapixel sensor. By exercising a little care I'm
able to get pretty good results from what many would consider a very
limiting piece of equipment. Granted, there are things I can't do with
it, and other things I could do more easily with a different camera, and
I will be getting a new "main shooter" in the near future -- but it will
probably be an advanced-level compact rather than a DSLR because I'd
rather keep things simple and give up a few opportunities than load
myself down with lots of gear to cover every possible opportunity. What
brand will I buy? I haven't decided yet, but I'm looking at all of the
"usual suspects". The brand doesn't matter to me nearly as much as the
camera's ability to do what I want it to do; in all honesty, just about
any advanced-level compact made today can probably do more than I'll
ever demand of it unless I specifically look for difficult shots.

> I happen to use Nikon and Epson, and I do not care if you happen to think
> that Canon is better. Just give my eardrums, or eyes, a break from your
> infantile bragging.

Nikon and Canon both make good cameras; the also make some that, while
perhaps well-constructed, are designed and engineered to be nothing more
than "good enough" at a specific price-point. I think of them as the
photographic equivalent of Ford and General Motors -- as you go up in
price, you get more for your money, and whether you need all that
capability is nobody's business but your own.

To me the ideal digital camera would have, among other things, a
35mm-formfactor image sensor in a body no larger than a Canon Digital
Rebel XT/EOS 350D -- or better still, that big sensor in a
compact-camera package. Since the ideal camera doesn't exist (and
presumably never will), I have an excuse to own more than one camera ...
and as a gadget freak I find that prospect even more attractive than
actually having a single "ideal" camera.

--
Walter Luffman Medina, TN USA
Amateur curmudgeon, equal opportunity annoyer

> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
>> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message

>>> It certainly spills over as bragging rights brand-name buzz-creators,
>>> yes.
>>> -But to the pros who need that speed and resolution, there's nothing
>>> "holo-ish" about them.
>>>

>> No, but those aren't really the guys the ads in the magazines are aimed
>> at, even though the ad may be for a Canon 1Ds mkII or Nikon D2x, they're
>> really selling to the guy who's going to buy a Rebel XT or D50/D70.
>> There's nothing haloish about a Viper or 'Vette to the guy/gal who buys
>> one, either... ;-)
>
> Perhaps you're right...
> -Although even pros are subject to severe cases of magazine drool...
> :)

I remember drooling over the Canon A2, back in, what, '96 or so when the
camera came out. $900, five focus points (up 'til then, all I'd heard about
was a single focus point on the EOS 1 and 6xx series) 5fps (my A-1 did that,
but only with a motor drive) but the single big deterrent was replacing all
of my FD mount lenses...