Sign in with
Your question

Water pump too loud, how to reduce voltage?

Last response: in Components
March 15, 2012 2:05:36 PM

I bought the Corsair H100 cpu cooler in HongKong and I'm facing a problem which, according to google, is very common. Most people seem to have been forced to return the cooler and get a replacement but unfortumantly that is bot an option for me. apparently you can get rid of the noise by gently reducing the fan speed/voltage to the pump.
However the problem is I don't know how to do that. I went into BIOS (Motherboard Asus p8p67 deluxe) and went through everything I could think of, trying to reduce fan speeds, putting everything into silent mode, with no effect.

Could someone more experience tell me how could I reduce the voltage going into the pump?
March 15, 2012 6:34:36 PM

What are the guys in the Corsair support forums saying?
March 16, 2012 12:31:33 PM

I have read all of them i could see, they say i must connect it to a fan controller or get it returned... i cant get it returned and i do have a fan controller on the case (corsair 600t) but im scared to do that because the fan controller only offers two of the three pins on the right of the plug. and the female side on the h100 plug only take the 1 remaining pin on the left

it looks like this:

Fan Controller:
||
|
H100
Related resources
March 16, 2012 12:41:41 PM

As long as the positive and ground wires are connected you can control the speed,
the third wire is an rpm reporting wire, nice but non-essential to operation
if you can identify the correct wires or post a pic it might help us id them for you then we can plan further,
I think the guys in there were referring to an aftermarket fan controller though, not a case mounted one such as you appear to have
Moto
March 16, 2012 1:44:00 PM

I will post a pic to follow, is there no simple way to reduce RPM/Voltage in the BIOS or something, i tried SpeedFan but i cant understand how to use it...
March 16, 2012 2:28:36 PM

If the pump is plugged into the mobo, then you should be able to set its speed using speedfan yes, although I've always struggled to control things through that,
and dependant on your bios, there maybe a tab in there that lets you control speeds,
two other options would be to wire a resistor/adaptor inline to reduce voltage,
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=rc56.html
or a controllable resistor (same principle as a fancontroller)
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=fanmate2_ca...
I'd prefer the second personally, you can alter it as required
Moto
March 16, 2012 4:21:01 PM

Help! i have been fiddling with the fan speed settings in Speedfan but no matter what i do the CPU RPM Will not change it just hovers from about 2086 - 2160 regaurdless of what i have selected in speedfan - i think i have speedfan set up right to use the PWM setting to "Manual" but nothing changes, i only want to start buying resistors and fan controllers as a last resort, I cant find anything in the bios. Is there any other program i can use for RPM/Voltage control? or any other way? does someone else have the P8P67 series Mobo with cpu fan settings turned down?
March 17, 2012 4:37:10 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
If the pump is plugged into the mobo, then you should be able to set its speed using speedfan yes, although I've always struggled to control things through that,
and dependant on your bios, there maybe a tab in there that lets you control speeds,
two other options would be to wire a resistor/adaptor inline to reduce voltage,
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=rc56.html
or a controllable resistor (same principle as a fancontroller)
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=fanmate2_ca...
I'd prefer the second personally, you can alter it as required
Moto

Because the H100's fan cable does not have a ground and power but only an RPM Reporting cable, it seems that it gets its power from a 4-pin molex which also powers the 2 radiator fans, so now im not sure that speedfan or any other program will work... do i need a resistor on the molex now? and then plug the two rad fans elsewhere?
March 17, 2012 8:26:13 AM

If the fan is powered by a molex then no, speedfan will not be able to control the fan,
I would refer you to the previous answers, a resistor or fan control unit between the the fan/pump you want to control
Moto
March 17, 2012 1:29:04 PM

what is the ground/power wires in a molex? im thinking of adding a resistor to the wire in question. is there an easier way? or is there a fan controller for a molex connector?
March 17, 2012 5:12:54 PM

Ground is black, the middle two wires, yellow is 12v and red is 5v, you want to add the resistor to the 12v, lowering that voltage by the amount the resistor you've chosen dictates,
and yes, there are lots of fan controllers available that plug into a molex from the Psu, and a three pin connector for your device,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I know you are not in the US, but it gives you an idea of the item you require :) 
Moto
March 18, 2012 12:54:52 AM

this may be the most retarded answer ever, i know very little about water pumps, but if it stays significantly cool, why not tape it up with electrical tape as a muffler? *+1 point for not knowing what im talking about*
March 18, 2012 1:44:58 PM

Surprisingly, I also thought of muffling it, but i dont want to do that to my pc because it is brand new, im going to leave it for a few days since it seems to have shut up now, i think i will go for a fan controller, thanks very much for all your help guys! :) 
March 18, 2012 3:37:53 PM

It may just have been an air lock working its way through, glad its calmed down a bit though :) 
Moto
!