Sign in with
Your question

Can 450W PSU handle HD 6850??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 14, 2011 5:58:49 AM

I ordered Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 from Amazon which has not yet been delivered. The issue is currently i only have a 450W PSU (Cooler Master) and the recommended is 500W. So will the card work and will i have any problems??

And, i have read reviews about the Sapphire HD 6850 on Newegg and Amazon. There were a number of reviews claiming PC crashing with this card installed. Any one of you had such issue?

More about : 450w psu handle 6850

October 14, 2011 6:05:25 AM

i think you should get better PSU just to be safe (go for the reliable brand such as corsair, antec etc). i'm not really sure about this but many said cooler master PSU are not really good except their high end ones
October 14, 2011 6:16:26 AM

renz496 said:
i think you should get better PSU just to be safe (go for the reliable brand such as corsair, antec etc). i'm not really sure about this but many said cooler master PSU are not really good except their high end ones

I'm too thinking of getting a better PSU but that will only be possible in 1-2 months. Will it affect the card if i use my current PSU for just a month??
Related resources
October 14, 2011 6:52:20 AM

depends on your luck buddy. if you're lucky maybe you can get your brand new PSU before the card or your entire system got screwed up when your PSU get blown for being overloaded
October 14, 2011 7:10:21 AM

Do not cheap out on PSU, it's the most important thing inside your PC, really, get a bigger/better PSU with 500W minimum for a single graphic card or 750W for dual cards configuration, Corsair, Antec, PCP&C, SilverStone are a decent brand for quality PSU...
October 14, 2011 8:00:42 AM

you should get at least 600w psu.
October 14, 2011 8:46:34 AM

Yes a decent PSU is important but a 6850 is not exactly power hungry now is it ?
Can you link us to the PSU you have now ? or tell us what the +12V rail/s ratings are ?
I would agree you may need a better PSU but lets see what the one you have is like first.

I think some of the replies may be being belt and braces (over cautious) with recommendations. Bottom line is the card needs a single PCIE cable and as long as its a reputable brand PSU with the required power cable then it will be fine. Something like a 500W Corsair builder series PSU would be ample.

Mactronix :) 
October 14, 2011 9:18:17 AM

+1^. Personally I never had any issues with my 600W PSU that can provide only 27A on +12V rails.I know its very marginal for my system but it still works pretty good and can survive all kind of stress test put together.
But if you don't have any budget constrains or even if you do ,get yourself a good quality 550W psu which can provide around 44A on 12V eg xfx core edition 550

Edit:System: i5 2500 @ 4.2Ghz, ASUS P8P67, 2x4GB corsair vengeance @1668Mhz ,Sapphire Radeon HD 4890@900Mhz core,2 HDDs, 5 case fans
October 14, 2011 10:07:15 AM

600W and only 27A? My 500W can do 34A. :p 
October 14, 2011 1:31:05 PM

most decent 450w-550w i know should have at least 30A on 12v rail. for generic PSU they often have less than 20A
October 14, 2011 2:26:32 PM

A 450w psu will work fine. I have been using a 350w psu for my Radeon 6850 for like 10 months now. A 450w will be fine. You don't have to waste money getting a psu that you won't even need.
October 14, 2011 2:37:26 PM

A "real" 450W PSU can handle a HD6850. At most, the card can only be pulling 150W (PCIE slot plus single auxiliary power cable), leaving 300W for everything else. Unless you're running a stack of hard drives and a mad overclock, you should be good; trouble is you have a Coolermaster PSU, which may not be actually capable of 450W (most of their PSUs are overrated).
Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands for PSUs. I'm not sure I've ever seen a competent technical review that didn't find them to be at least a little bit UNDERrated.

Edit: If you have a GX450, you're ok: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-GX...
October 14, 2011 3:29:20 PM

mactronix said:
Yes a decent PSU is important but a 6850 is not exactly power hungry now is it ?
Can you link us to the PSU you have now ? or tell us what the +12V rail/s ratings are ?
I would agree you may need a better PSU but lets see what the one you have is like first.

I think some of the replies may be being belt and braces (over cautious) with recommendations. Bottom line is the card needs a single PCIE cable and as long as its a reputable brand PSU with the required power cable then it will be fine. Something like a 500W Corsair builder series PSU would be ample.

There's no link to PSU i currently have. It's kinda old and i checked the PSU and as mentioned on it the +12V ratings are just 16A so i guess i need to get a better one right?
October 14, 2011 4:05:41 PM

Beleved or not, even the 16 ampere rate is may not be correct.
You best course of accton is buy a new PSU. In the mean time connect the video card to one of the molex rail by itself. Do not chain HD, DVD or anything else in that molex rail.

Don´t worry even the cheapest power supply have overcurrent protection, It will cut the Pwer_oK signal and shutdown.

If you have a spare, consider using a second PSU only for the Card.There is plenty of tutorials in youtube, it´s easy to do.

I have been running a 8800 GTX from a "El Cheapo" 250W PSU and has been working fine for 3 years.
October 14, 2011 4:10:28 PM

Don´t worry even the cheapest power supply have overcurrent protection, It will cut the Pwer_oK signal and shutdown.

Not true, sometimes when a psu dies it takes along your gpu or even cpu !
October 14, 2011 4:18:34 PM

shreejan86 said:
There's no link to PSU i currently have. It's kinda old and i checked the PSU and as mentioned on it the +12V ratings are just 16A so i guess i need to get a better one right?

A PSU degenerates over time so if its old and has a low amperage rating like yours does then i would say that you should defiantly get a new PSU before running the card.
These days things are a lot better but as robjordy says an older PSU could possibly cause harm to other parts of your system if you over stressed it.

October 14, 2011 4:28:18 PM

scienceisfun91 said:
A 450w psu will work fine. I have been using a 350w psu for my Radeon 6850 for like 10 months now. A 450w will be fine. You don't have to waste money getting a psu that you won't even need.

WAT PSU brand u hav?
October 14, 2011 4:29:58 PM

Wow, the full range of answers to confuse the OP...

shreejan86-

it's time to learn some simple electrical information so you can accurately determine what will and won't work in PSUs for your current or future PC build. Work thru the link below and then you'll be able to help the next person who posts a similar question here in about an hour... :) 

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/314712-10-please-re...
October 14, 2011 11:02:06 PM

akshay0009 said:
WAT PSU brand u hav?

I have a LiteOn 350w psu
October 14, 2011 11:20:42 PM

Some Coolermaster PSUs claim certain protections, but HardwareSecrets discovered they were missing. The GX450 is a new model; an old one should definitely be replaced. I would recommend Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, Enermax/LEPA, or even a new FSP for your replacement.
On a good day, I would not expect a LiteOn PSU to be able to put out any more than 75% of what is on its label, and that not cleanly.
The chart at http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264 shows a HD6850 needing 108W for a typical 3D load, 125W absolutely maxed. If the rest of that system needs 150W or so, you may be running that LiteOn near its edge depending on your CPU and the types of games you play. Careful, or I predict a violent death.
October 15, 2011 5:38:31 AM

beenthere said:
Wow, the full range of answers to confuse the OP...

shreejan86-

it's time to learn some simple electrical information so you can accurately determine what will and won't work in PSUs for your current or future PC build. Work thru the link below and then you'll be able to help the next person who posts a similar question here in about an hour... :) 

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/314712-10-please-re...

I read your post and i found it very helpful. According to the sticker on my PSU it has +12V1 and +12V2 which are both 16A each. So will the combined output be 32A??

And i checked about power drawn by HD 6850 here and it states around 139W on full load and 29W on idle. So i applied your calculation method:

139 / 12 = 11.583amps + 15amps for other drives, fans etc. So, Total = 11.583 + 15 = 26.583 amps and +5 amps for safety margin so it all turns out to be 31.583 amps.

Now, if I'm correct my PSU has 32A total on +12V rails and required 31.583 with the safety margin. So is my current PSU good to go??
October 15, 2011 6:02:25 AM

if you have 16A both on 12v1 and 12v2 it doesn't mean you will have 32A. you can't add them directly. you have to know how much wattage you actually have on 12v rail. you can find this detail on the PSU's spec sticker but some manufacturer may not include this detail on their spec. for example if you have 360w on 12v rail then you should have 30A on your 12v rail. (360/12 = 30A). its the same way how you calculate the amps needed for your gpu
October 15, 2011 6:35:11 AM

renz496 said:
if you have 16A both on 12v1 and 12v2 it doesn't mean you will have 32A. you can't add them directly. you have to know how much wattage you actually have on 12v rail. you can find this detail on the PSU's spec sticker but some manufacturer may not include this detail on their spec. for example if you have 360w on 12v rail then you should have 30A on your 12v rail. (360/12 = 30A). its the same way how you calculate the amps needed for your gpu

I again checked my PSU sticker, and 384W is written on it for +12V rails which turns out to be 32A.
October 15, 2011 6:40:24 AM

That means you are good to go.
October 15, 2011 11:36:16 AM

Only other thing to do is find a real review of your PSU. Just because the sticker says it can do that doesn't mean it can. Search for any real review of a Diablotek unit to see a lying sticker.
October 15, 2011 3:56:22 PM

If your PSU were a Seasonic or Antec, I'd say you were safe; but it's a Coolermaster, and an old one at that. I wouldn't expect more that 26A out of those combined +12V rails, and even that may not be clean. Yes, the label is a lie, and no, the parasites don't do much about this sort of consumer fraud.
October 15, 2011 4:15:46 PM

OK, I'll get a new one!! That will be better!! :) 
October 22, 2011 9:23:54 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:

Not true, sometimes when a psu dies it takes along your gpu or even cpu !

Have you seen that or just repeat something you heard?

For that to happen need:
a) The AC Fuses not to cut the current.
b) PLL locks in oscilators to fail "somehow". Their timings windows are narrow.
c) The MoBo electronics do not react fast enuff to the lack of Power_OK Signal
d) The voltage sensors of the CPU fail. If a CPU do not like their supply they just beep (LONG beep, PAUSE, LONG beep. repeat)

Have not happend to me in over 15 years arround hundreds computers. Either just a urban mith or faulty components but that happend for all brands and rated capacities and at any time.

And the least probable time to do is at power up. If they do is plain bad luck.
October 22, 2011 9:40:33 PM

mamailo said:
Have not happend to me in over 15 years arround computers. Either just a urban mith or faulty components but that happend for all brands and rated capacities.

plain bad luck

So it didnt happen to you so its a Myth :pfff:  Anything else not happen to you ? I bet there is lots so they must all be myths as well then.
Please learn of what you speak before making stupid statements.

October 22, 2011 9:54:07 PM

I will do when you showme your degree at electronics and know what are you talking about.

Else go and grab a soldering Iron and get some REAL WORLD experience before repeating someting said it happend to someone friend.

That´s the real stupidity
October 22, 2011 9:59:41 PM

Mamailo, you are wrong. It is as simple as that. If you want to learn enough electronics to understand why, check out the tutorials at HardwareSecrets, then read some of their reviews of cheap PSUs. Then go read some of the reviews of cheap PSUs at jonnyguru; they aren't the only site which has lost test equipment when a cheap PSU detonated.
October 22, 2011 10:05:49 PM

As I said i can speak for myself and for nobody else.

Even the cheapest PSU need to be comercialized and the UL basic test includes overcurrent parameters. If they do not pass then can not be sold.

If a PSU fails is because is faulty and that happen to ANY brand or rated capacities at any time.

The original poster implies His/ Her PSU is OK there is NO reason to extrapolate a failure.
October 22, 2011 10:27:35 PM

Are you that naive? The PSU could have a liar label, the UL number could refer to another unit or be outright bogus; there are any number of dishonest things the company may have done, however because the "right" parasites have been paid (typically indirectly), the government does not see fit to do its job to protect the rights of consumers.
October 22, 2011 11:40:10 PM

Search Jonnyguru. I'm pretty sure that was the site that had a PSU with a UL # on it that wasn't in the UL database. This means they just printed one on there, it was never certified.
October 22, 2011 11:41:15 PM

Can't remember what psu it was but i looked for a review of this typical low priced peace of crap psu ( not the one from this thread ) and it was really funny ;
It was from a guy who bought it and while being in the bathroom heard loud crackling sounds like fireworks going off. He quickly went to his bedroom and saw all smoke and sparks gomming out of his pc which was on at the time he went in the bathroom. Pulled out the power cord and had a totally burned through peace of modern art.
This guy was so happy he was home at the time, otherwise it could have taken the house with it he stated . . .
Review on Newegg, could be urban myth though.
I do agree this was a faulty one but there were quite a few bad reviews about that one so there really is a difference between quality and cheap junk, also with the protection stuff.

Also ; i rather have my advice from guys in the field than someone who thinks he knows it all because he has a degree . . .
October 22, 2011 11:44:39 PM

mactronix said:
So it didnt happen to you so its a Myth :pfff:  Anything else not happen to you ? I bet there is lots so they must all be myths as well then.
Please learn of what you speak before making stupid statements.

I NEW the moonlanding was FAKE !!!
October 22, 2011 11:46:43 PM

EDIT : "Knew" not "new", sigh . . . stupid English :??: 
October 23, 2011 12:43:39 AM

UL sticks faked from Cooler Master?.
NO WAY. I mean is not Thermaltake but is not a basament based operation.

"Are you that naive?"

What I am is experimented.

I live in a third world country an see all kinds of SG6105DZ or derivatives based desings in average every 4 days. Those come from oriental countries under all kind of brands.Cooler master have a better desing.

In the bad old days (Grossly old PSUs of 145,200, 300 and some 350 watts) the PWM, linear regulators and voltage supervisors came in discrete chips.

Modern Chips are monolithic. Even if a sneaky manofacturer wanna save cost, the chips will not work. The PLL won´t engage if the voltage supervisor is not working.

So I stand on my word. A modern, healty PSU will refuse to start or shutdown.

Even when I have to check a ridiculous overloaded or close to fail system from a customer; one or more of this things will happen (in no particulary order):

a) The MoBo Beeps (CPU undervoltage)
b) Some leds try to turn on, drives may try spin (power_good handshake failure)
c) Fan of the PSU kinda try to move but it won´t start (PLL did not lock)
d) BIOS report "Could not change the CPU clock" or message like that (MoBo undervoltage)

e) At incresed load, a HALT state is induced in the CPU. Know by many as BSODs (undervoltage/under current). In some MoBos design also trigger a watchdog circuit will send the shutdown order to windows.

f) AC fuse will blow

I agree is stupid to test a suspicious PSU on a live system, there are tools for that like my termaltake PSU checker.

But in THIS Thread the PSU is considered "OK" and I can say to "shreejan86" from the bottom of my heart :

If your PSU can´t feed the video card the system will not boot or will give you HALT states when increased load.

There are thosands millions of systems in the world wich I have saw a few hundreds of them. All have reacted the same way.

Thats all I have saw.

But If ONE cathastropic fail in a million is repeated a million times is considered true by becoming a Myth. Even If the other 999,999 cases is false.

SO:

"i rather have my advice from guys in the field than someone who thinks he knows it all because all because he has a degree . . ."
Or read inet or watch youtube for giving advice.

I can not agree more. Said from someone who has been in the field for the last 15 years.
October 23, 2011 12:15:13 PM

mamailo said:
I will do when you showme your degree at electronics and know what are you talking about.

Else go and grab a soldering Iron and get some REAL WORLD experience before repeating someting said it happend to someone friend.

That´s the real stupidity

You are obviously quoting from websites and have no real experience of value yourself or else you would not have posted what you did.
You do realise that in all probability everyone who is trying to correct you knows what you posted before you went and edited them all to make it sound like you know what you are talking about [:mousemonkey:5]

In all honesty I really couldn't care less for myself, what I dislike is when someone who by their own admission has not had any experience of these issues feels it sensible to give out advice on the subject.

Hopefully the OP will weigh the balance of opinion here and come to the sensible conclusion to ignore whatever you post.

October 23, 2011 12:47:17 PM

LoL.

"What I am is experimented", oh my God, he has been abducted by aliens ( probably family members of me ) and has undergone weird experiments !

Sorry Mailmo, very bad joke i know, i make English mistakes all the time meself, couldn't resist tho. :D 
October 23, 2011 1:31:45 PM

What is supposed to happen and what does happen are often not the same thing. Mamailo, have you seen what the output waveform looks like on a cheap PSU that is being stressed, or on one with a bad filter capacitor? The voltage may (still) be "ok," but the noise and ripple will be way out of spec, enough to be dangerous.
!