Your question

Minimum system requirements

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
March 15, 2012 2:21:15 PM

Hi all,

I'm trying to see if my machine will run the newly announced Diablo III game. I come from a Mac world, but will be playing this on a pc, and don't understand how to compare processor speeds and was hoping someone could give me a clear answer... I searched a bit and think my computer will work, but I want to know for sure.

The minimum requirements for the game are:

processor: Intel Pentium D 2.8 GHz or AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 4400+

video: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT or ATI Radeon X1950 Pro or better

recommended info:
processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz

video: NVIDIA GeForce 260 or ATI Radeon HD 4870 or better

My computer has:
processor: Intel CORE i5 U470 @ 1.33 GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.3 GHz

video: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450

More about : minimum system requirements

a b à CPUs
March 15, 2012 2:42:05 PM

befuddledzebra said:
Hi all,

I'm trying to see if my machine will run the newly announced Diablo III game. I come from a Mac world, but will be playing this on a pc, and don't understand how to compare processor speeds and was hoping someone could give me a clear answer... I searched a bit and think my computer will work, but I want to know for sure.

The minimum requirements for the game are:

processor: Intel Pentium D 2.8 GHz or AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 4400+

video: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT or ATI Radeon X1950 Pro or better

recommended info:
processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz

video: NVIDIA GeForce 260 or ATI Radeon HD 4870 or better

My computer has:
processor: Intel CORE i5 U470 @ 1.33 GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.3 GHz

video: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450

playing on a laptop? CPU is pretty slow. That's the only thing you would probably need to fix. Everything else looks ok.
m
l
Related resources
March 15, 2012 2:44:33 PM

Yeah, the laptop isn't ideal obviously, but my desktop just died and it may be a while before I'll be able to purchase a new one. I was just curious if my laptop meets minimum requirements. I don't need it to be the highest option, but I would want it to run and not freeze all over the place on me...
m
l
a c 639 à CPUs
March 15, 2012 2:58:29 PM

Your laptop is a bit underpowered.

The i5 U470 @ 1.33 GHz is a bit slower than the Intel Pentium D 2.8 GHz despite being a much newer architecture.

The ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450 is likely to be not as powerful as a Radeon HD X1950.
m
l
March 15, 2012 2:59:26 PM

Ohhh... so you are a laptop user?

Anyway, if you are playing on a laptop, I would recommend you to purchase a cooling pad just to redirect hot - air away from your system. Playing games will make your laptop overheat pretty fast.

Regarding egilbe's post, I would also recommend you to upgrade your or buy a new laptop which provides higher clock - speed, and maybe, a better GPU (Mobility ATi / Nvidia).
m
l
March 15, 2012 3:28:50 PM

Thanks all, it looks like I may need to wait until I get a new desktop. Or get a new desktop sooner... :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2012 3:42:57 PM

Yea, and Get a PC this time, Spending that extra for a MAC, you get so much more when you get a PC
m
l
a c 193 à CPUs
March 15, 2012 3:46:11 PM

jaguarskx said:
Your laptop is a bit underpowered.

The i5 U470 @ 1.33 GHz is a bit slower than the Intel Pentium D 2.8 GHz despite being a much newer architecture.

The ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450 is likely to be not as powerful as a Radeon HD X1950.

+1 for jaguarskx

While the move from the Intel® NetBurst® microarchitecture (on the Intel Pentium® D) to the Intel Core™ microarchitecture (Intel Core 2 Duo) yeilded a big improvement in performance. Then the change from the Intel Core microarchitecture to the 1st generation Intel Core processors and then to the 2nd generation of Intel Core processor you might see as much as a 30% to 35% improvement in performance. In the end you might have as much as a 50% performance boost as the same speed but that most likely would still leave you short of the goal you are looking for to run Diablo III.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2012 6:06:57 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
run the DIII trial on this site,
http://www.yougamers.com/gameometer/10213/
should give you a decent idea of your lappies power
Moto

Hi :) 

It may not even install...with that cpu....which would give the OP his answer...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
March 15, 2012 6:10:52 PM

The site I linked would tell him if that were the case, and if he couldn't play it, he wouldn't waste money buying it to find he couldn't install until he builds his new desk :p 
Moto
m
l
March 15, 2012 6:18:48 PM

I couldn't find any reference to Diablo on that site. Do you have a link to that game?
m
l