How can I run chkdsk on boot up?? Please help!!!

G

I'm trying to make it so that chkdsk runs each time XP is started. I created a bat file that says:
@ chkdsk C:/F
and put it in everyones startup.
It works fine with the Admin user, but says 'access not allowed' with any standard users.
I've tried puting a copy of the chkdsk file in the shared folder, but I don't know how to make it automatic. Especially since when it's run, it needs to have the " C:/F ". And simply typing in "C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Shared Documents\chkdsk.exe C:/F"
into the bat file doesn't work.

Is there a way to make XP always run the program before anyone logs on? Maybe tweaking something in Group Polices?
PLEASE HELP!!!!

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
There really isn't a reason for chkdsk to run each time. If your write cache doesn't get flushed or you otherwise have a dirty volume, NT/2000/XP will automatically run a chkdsk for you. If it doesn't run chkdsk it's because there is no reason to.

Please tell me you aren't using FATx instead of NTFS.

G

I'm running XP. For some reason my computer freezes AT LEAST once a day. I've done everything to find the problem, but it can't be found. I'm update all my drivers, disconected devices one at a time to see if it was one in particular... you name it, I've done it.
I want chkdsk to auto boot at each startup, so that when the system crashes, I don't have to log on, then reboot.
Also, when the other user use the computer and it crashes on them, they don't have access to chkdsk.
I was trying to see if I could user schtasks in DOS to do it, but I couldn't figure out how.

G

Could the cause of my crashes be my hard drive?
This is my system:
Athlon 950 CPU
AOpen AK33 motherboard
Seagate 9 GB hard drive
Maxtor 38 GB hard drive
Netgear NIC card
4x4x32 CD R\W
40x CD-rom
ATI Rage graphic card.

I use to have 98 on my Seagate drive and 98 on my Maxtor. The Seagate stated out crashing alot and after a couple of months, was only crashing every so often. The Maxtor with 98 crashed alot; period. I used the Seagate with the Maxtor as a back-up drive. I then updated the Maxtor to WinME and started using it all the time. The Seagate then became the back-up drive. ME on the Maxtor crashed alot. I was thrilled when XP came out, 'cause I was hoping it would stop the crashes. The Seagate drive does seem to be more stable, but I've run a full scandisk on both many times, even checking to see if there were any bad sectors. But both seem to be fine.
Could the Maxtor drive cause all of my crashes?
Either way, I do need to have chkdsk run at start-up each time.

TRENDING THREADS