Simple RAID question....

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Before I get pelted with "Stupid!" "You should know that" and stuff I just want to tell you that I build PCs for normal people, not the President :smile:

Ok so after I have 2 hds in RAID, and it's now virtual C drive, can I partition it so I have say 10GIGS on C drive and about 50 on D drive (partitions, using two 30gig drives.)

Thanks.

----------------------
I don't hate Intel............ Do I?

G

I did that a while back with a maxtor 20.4 gig ata66 7200 rpm and a maxtor 20.4 gig ata100 5400rpm drive set to raid0. I partitioned the 40 gigs total to 10 and 30, and it worked fine. My system was just as unstable as it was before I partitioned, which I can blame on my aureal sound card. Damn $ound Bla$ter to hell! Bought out a decent sound card company, and now they can't make new drivers.:(

<font color=red>=P

Lucol

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It works, you can partition it anyway you like, treat it as if it were just 1 60Gb drive. One of our customers has 10 36Gb drives in RAID 5, with like 20 partitions. Why they did this, I'll never understand, but you get the message.

G

I agree, once the RAID is confiured, you treat it like one drive and partition it as normal. The RAID should be able to handle it. How is your RAID configured, RAID 0, 1, etc...? If you are using RAID 0, striping only, be careful storing any important data on them without a backup. RAID 0 will split information between two drives, you have no control as to what drive information gets written to, and if it fails, or of you decide to delete the RAID 0 you will lose all information on both drives as it needs the other drive to complete the information it has. In other words, the OS, etc... will be split between the drives.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yes I know all about RAID except partitioning. Guess no one ever bothers to mention that in documentaries and reviews :smile:

Thanks for the quick answers, everyone. :smile:

----------------------
I don't hate Intel............ Do I?

TRENDING THREADS