URGENT: Need help identifying and opening old Compaq iPaq desktop

ambush

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2002
I bought a second-hand Compaq iPaq desktop PC on consignment the other day. I urgently need to open the case, but HP's web site gives some fatal "backend server" error message whenever I try to download ANY manual for ANY Compaq iPaq desktop.

AND For the life of us, no one can figure out the model number, not even HP's *extremely* dull-witted phone tech support staff.

Here's all of the numbers on the case: On the back, there's a bar code with the code: 6034DZD2B938

On the bottom, there are the following two codes: 157461-001 and CT: L33B80H6JJ0JA4

Anyway, if someone else could find the owner and maintenance manuals for any similar Compaq iPaq desktop (particularly including how to open the case) and post or email it to me, I would be very grateful.

I saw a note online that said that the case can't be opened until you remove some "security bar" which involves a torx wrench, but obviously I don't have this. So info regarding that would be helpful, also.

Thank you so much!

You can email it to me at: ambush1145 -at- yahoo.com

ambush

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2002
Thanks for your quick reply! I'm gonna try it on my own with the little info that was actually displayable on the HP site (just one sentence about needing a torx wrench), but I'd still like to know the model number and there's nothing near the power button, either.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
From what I understand Compaqs (at least the older ones) have security torx screws to make them hard to open. You need a torx bit with a hole in it. You can get the really cheap Chinese screw drivers with 20-30 bits which usually have the tip you will need.

I assume you already looked here for the type of box "157461-001 " - Google Search. It looks like a real boat anchor.

ambush

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2002
Oh, it's an ancient, decrepit boat anchor all right! But that's exactly why I wanted it. You see, I am trying to further my embedded systems programming skills and I just wanted a slow, small-memory, vertically mounted desktop PC inside a case to work with. For that, this piece of crap is fine.

As for the model ID, "157461-001", thanks for identifying that as the model! Stupid, STUPID HP tech support had not the tiniest clue.

But your search URL as provided does not work for me at all, but that's certainly not your fault. The thing is, for the last several months, every single Google search I've done -- no matter how complex and specific the search string -- ends up with an error page telling me that Google thinks my search is coming from a robotic engine of some sort! Then it asks me to enter one of those squiggly codes, but when I do, it just tells me it's STILL coming from a robot!! WHAT A PIECE OF EXCREMENT GOOGLE IS!

I've scoured my system with extreme diligence for any spyware or viri or malware, but it's perfectly clean. I contacted Google about 30 times about this problem -- I even tried telephoning them at their corporate offices -- but no one at Google cares about mere "users"!

Aargh!

Anyway, thanks for your immediate reply! If I knew more about the Torx wrench I need, it would help me find it, but I guess I'll just go to the hardware store and buy a 20-piece set as you suggest.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
maybe you should post the spec's. Does it boot at all? That may help with how old it is?

For instance, I worked in a computer store when they sold P4's and celeron compaqs

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
HP / Compaq 157461-001 COMPAQ IPAQ CEL 500. 128MG, 4.3 GIG WIN 98SND.(R) ♦ The 157461-001 part number can be applied to a range of Compaq machines which came with anything from Celerons to P3 Coppermine processors. http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00705936/c00705936.pdf The number on the back above the power plug is the serial number of the unit. The linked manual illustrates the removal of the security bar etc on page 25 (or 3-2). I assume that this is an academic exercise, the machine is too old to do anything but play with.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I don't know how much help that Google search would be anyway.

Torx - Wikipedia
(Compaq uses almost exclusively T15 screws)

You need to look at the screws and see it they have a pin in them and to check the size. If they have the pin then you will need a tip that looks like this pic. If not a regular Torx will do. either way you must get the security screws out to open the case. It should be self explanatory after that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Torx_driver_secure.png

ambush

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2002
Hi. The specs are in the manual that Stephen posted. I now know it's a iPaq 1.0 Legacy desktop, which is pretty old but close to what I need. I went to Meijer's (24 hour superstore kinda thing) and found a Kawasaki drill bit/screw set that had the wrenched I needed, so I've been able to open the box finally.

Unfortunately, the damn VGA chip on the mobo is done broke (I get nothing but random colored squares on the old 14" VGA LCD monitor), so I was clearly screwed. On the plus side, the owner of the computer store where this old junker was on consignment sale is a friend, so I'll just dump this P.O.C. back on the seller and get my money back ($60, but 60 cents is too much to pay for a completely worthless boat anchor).

I'll do a search on eBay or something and find another that works and has a lower price.

ambush

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2002
Thanks for your reply. Since this was a iPaq 1.0 legacy model, opening the case turned out to be easier than I thought (no security bar), and the tech manual posted earlier showed me the way. Too bad the thing's a worthless P.O.C.

I probably have 1 of a dozen boat ancors that I need to get rid of. If you are interested I will check on them Monday and ship to you. If you have paypal you can pay me for the shipping afterwards.

I am looking to take these systems to the recycling center in a week or two. One of these very old systems is too old for you but its quite interesting. It boots in sort of a dos platform and has menus across the top of the screen you can tab into. This case is locked and I havent put much effort into getting into it. I will have to check on that Monday and create a post about it and see if anyone recognizes it.

Im sure someone will. It definitely looks to be pre 90's. A friend of mine was going to burry it in his back yard with some other trash and thought of me and asked me if I wanted it. I said yes just to check it out.

Anyway, let me know if you are interested in a free system for the shipping cost. Id rather see it get used than scrapped.

ambush

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2002
Thanks, my friend, but I just bought a good cheapie on eBay for $20 that includes XP and Linux, and Linux is just what I need.