Sign in with
Your question

Help with system

Last response: in Systems
December 10, 2011 7:07:53 PM

I just wanted to ask the community weather they had suggestions or changes to make to my final buy. I am not using it for gaming (maybe Skyrim on medium low settings). So far I got an ATX box, 2 fans for the box, power supply 500W rocketfish, cd/dvd writer drive, 250 gb internal harddrive and 1 tb external harddrive. The next few peices are stuff I need to buy, if any one can recommend anything or let me know if it a good set up please leave your responce. Also if you can find a better peice to recommend (on A Canadian site for about the same price low budget).

Cpu:
Intel 2500k Sandy bridge i5

MotherBoard:
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
I would need HDMI out put but dont need extra sound slots

Ram 8 gb:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL -50

Video Card:
Going to use an old one (unless someone has a cheap recommendation)

Sound Card:
Have a old one going to use in new system.

More about : system

December 10, 2011 7:30:34 PM

wha is your budget?
December 10, 2011 7:30:38 PM

Why the new thread?
Post additional questions on the original thread.

As in:
Here's my revised build, what do you think?

Anyway, I'm here now so let's continue. CPU/Mobo/Ram are fine but there are some questions.
What's your budget?
What's the old GPU?
Who the hell are rocketfish?
Related resources
December 10, 2011 7:32:53 PM

Also, what ARE you going to use it for? Is Skyrim going to be the only game, or will there be others?

Also, I agree with longpig: talk about a no-name PSU. Get a quality unit!
December 10, 2011 7:33:15 PM

wha is your budget?
December 10, 2011 7:34:20 PM

motherboard $100-150, cpu $230, ram $50. Besides that if you have a good idea for a low price item let me know
December 10, 2011 7:37:00 PM

rocket fish is kind of expensive carrier in canada, they supply a lot of accesories. Skyrim a bit not really any other games. Just a simply cheap gpu 2 years old don't know the name but it very low level
December 10, 2011 7:45:36 PM

You're going to need a new GPU for Skyrim. My new build is for this by the way.
Need to know overall budget to help you properly.
An HD6770 will get high settings but you may be better dropping the CPU to an i3 2100 and spending more on better GPU - GTX560ti for example.

Trust me - give us your overall maximum budget and the guys on here will work really hard for you.
December 10, 2011 7:48:30 PM

longpig said:
You're going to need a new GPU for Skyrim. My new build is for this by the way.
Need to know overall budget to help you properly.
An HD6770 will get high settings but you may be better dropping the CPU to an i3 2100 and spending more on better GPU - GTX560ti for example.

Trust me - give us your overall maximum budget and the guys on here will work really hard for you.

I'd again agree with this. If the PC will be for general use (internet, word processing, etc.), with Skyrim on the side, the 2500k is overkill.
December 10, 2011 7:57:13 PM

I am for sure going to be getting a video card but right now I dont got that much money. This is why I am getting the bigger cpu because it will allow me to upgrade later on. Also I will be doing editing on video and designing due to school in a few months. I for sure want the intel i5 2500k for that (in summer I will be using it for more gaming as well). My main concern is a good cheap motherboard which I am willing to spend 100-150. Also a good quality but cheap ram (around 50 for 8gb). If I was to get a video card right now it would only be to play skyrim on medium low quality. I am not willing to spend over 75 on a video card because in 4-6 months I will be buying a expensive one.
December 10, 2011 8:32:43 PM

Alright but my main concern was the motherboard what would you recommend?
December 11, 2011 5:34:40 PM

The mobo is decent - no problem.
But does your old graphics card have HDMI?
If you choose discrete over onboard graphics the card needs to have HDMI. If it doesn't, you'll need new card.
!