smeelo

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
This Christmas I am going to be upgrading my current computer and I have some questions about the Sata interfaces.

When I upgrade my computer will be:
AMD Phenom II x4 965
8Gb's ddr3 1333mhz RAM
xfx radeon HD 4890 1gb
ASRock 970 EXTREME3 MotherBoard
Corsair Force Series 3 90Gb Sata III 6Gb/s

The current Hard Drive I have is a Sata II 250gb 7200rpm and my question is:
Can I run the SSD and the HDD at the same time and have the SSD Running at full speed? (I'm worried that it may slow down to Sata II with the HDD running too) I just want to have my more graphically advanced games like Battlefield 3 on the SSD and have movies, pictures, music etc on the HDD.

If I can run the SSD and HDD at the same time without loosing speed, should I install windows 7 to the SSD or the HDD?

I was thinking putting windows 7 on the SSD along with Skyrim and Battlefield 3, I just want another opinion on which drive to use as the one for my OS.

Solution
Put the OS on the SSD for boot times but everything else should be on the HDD or you'll run out of space.
SSD will be slightly faster for game load times but not noticeably in play. And 2 seconds saved in a 2 hour session? Not worth it.

longpig

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Put the OS on the SSD for boot times but everything else should be on the HDD or you'll run out of space.
SSD will be slightly faster for game load times but not noticeably in play. And 2 seconds saved in a 2 hour session? Not worth it.

Solution

smeelo

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I know how to deal with that ;)

Check this out if you have a SSD its pretty neat: http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/