P8Z77 V LX2 incompatibility with AMD HD 7770?

Bixyz

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
First of all, hi everyone! I'm new here, although I having already read a lot of the topics trying to fix some of my pc issues.. And I really dont know if i'm posting in the right topic..but i really need some help!

So I recently bought this products to built my own new-first pc:

Intel Core i5 3470
Asus P8Z77-V LX2 (I wonder if it was a wise choice..)
PSU Advance 650W
HD WD Caviar Green 2TB WD20EARX 3.5" ( but i'm changing for an Black WD1002FAEX 1TB)
Kingston 8GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL10
AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB

It will be mostly used for photoshop, video editing, after effects...and ofc gaming, but just for leisure..

So when it was all built, with Windows 64 bits and with all the drivers downloaded, some issues started to pop up when i was playing with Sims 3, WOW, Aion or StarCraft (its was a gaming run test).. my pc just got the black screen and the message: "Asus Anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit".
So i thought it would be some PSU problems, like an damaged electrical wire, so i changed with my sister pc, and this same PSU works nicely there.. still i have the same problem with mine..
So i thought it would be the graphic card incompatibility with the motherboard...so i searched in forums, and somewhere i read that maybe It could work fine if i changed the graphic slot.. so i did it: from PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 slot to an PCIe 2.0 x16 slot... the games issues decreased but still crash time to time.. but it make no sense when the motherboard says it is an PCI 3.0 and so does the graphic...but neither one works well..

So I thinking in changing the motherboard, but in the same P8Z77 series, or should i go for another?
Its there a chance of the Green Caviar be the problem?
Might be any problem with the processor?

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012
Could you clarify how you tested? I assume you mean that you took your power supply out of your rig and tested it in your sister's? If so, how did you test the PSU while it was in your sister's rig? Did you try to put your sister's rig under load, or did you simply verify that the PSU works in her rig at idle?

(If the power supply is flaky, it's more likely to show its flaws at load.)

It is, of course, possible that your graphics' card or motherboard has an issue, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the power supply as the problem. Could you give us some more details on the power supply? A google search for "advance psu" brings up a crapton of irrelevant results (because the word, "advance(d)," is common in tech-oriented articles). I'm guessing your PSU is a crap-generic brand, which doesn't bode well.

Bixyz

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Yes I did changed my PSU from my rig to her's, and she is gaming and doing all the normal stuff there, with no issues at all. Meanwhile, and at the moment my pc is with her's PSU, that is also 650W. It is an Advance PC MPT-6500 - 650 W.

I only have this power off and some times this restart when I'm playing games.. thats why I suspect the graphic card..

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

Ok, so you and your sister both have identical PSUs? And both PSUs have problems in your rig?

I hate to belabor the point, but it's worth covering all of our bases here: are you absolutely sure that your sister's habits put as much load on the PSU as yours do? What are her computer's specs? What games does she play? Again, if a PSU is bad, it will only tend to show it under heavy load.

EDIT - To clarify, if both PSUs are the same model, then it's entirely possible that you've discovered a problem with the PSU's design -- a problem that might not be obvious in your sister's rig, due to usage differences. I can't stress enough how unreliable generic PSUs can be at load. Given that your motherboard is a reputable make and model, and given that the motherboard reported a problem with the PSU, I'd say that the PSU is still the most obvious explanation.

Regardless, I hope you find a solution to your problem.

Bixyz

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Well I undestand you, and it makes sence! But she also plays WOW and Aion or Sims 3 sometimes...her pc's specs are:

An Pentium Dual Core 5200
Same model and voltage of mine PSU
ATI Radeon HD 4800
ABIT I45D as motherboard
Samsung HD 501LJ
4 GB of unknown model of Ram

But what do you tell me about that PCIe 3.0 and 2.0 slot problem? That the Graphics only works better, but still not normal, in the PCIe 2.0? The motherboard supports the PCIe 3.0 and so does the graphic... Its all because of the power supply system problem?
Is this model of the P8Z77 series good? Or should I changed?

Bixyz

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
OK, I changed the PSU for and GX Lite 600W of Cooler Master, and still, I have the same issues!
So maybe is better to change the mobo? or the graphic? And for to witch one?
Plz I need some help cuz I only have till tomorrow to change the products =(