Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard touching the PSU? Bad?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 21, 2013 12:07:13 AM

I just built my computer last week and it's been working fine besides the problem in Title. So yeah, The way the standoffs are put, The motherboard touches the metal on the power supply. I'm wondering if there would be some way that it could get fried or hurt by that. I'm not a electrician or anything but could somebody tell me if there is a way that something could get damaged? Thank you.
a b V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2013 1:42:09 AM

The very edge of the motherboard or the top or bottom?

I don't recommend it but you will probably be OK if no metal part touches the PSU.
m
l
January 21, 2013 7:09:14 PM

smeezekitty said:
The very edge of the motherboard or the top or bottom?

I don't recommend it but you will probably be OK if no metal part touches the PSU.

The metal touches it. And there's nothing I can do because the stand-offs tell me the only place I can put it.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2013 10:17:18 PM

skythecow said:
The metal touches it. And there's nothing I can do because the stand-offs tell me the only place I can put it.

If any metal part of the motherboard touches the powersupply, you have significant risk of damage.

I would look for a powersupply with a different formfactor that might fit.
m
l
January 21, 2013 10:22:56 PM

smeezekitty said:
If any metal part of the motherboard touches the powersupply, you have significant risk of damage.

I would look for a powersupply with a different formfactor that might fit.

Don't you think there can be some sort of non conductive material I can fit in between?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2013 10:31:41 PM

skythecow said:
Don't you think there can be some sort of non conductive material I can fit in between?

I guess you could try but it is a kludge fix at best and you do risk damaging the board.
m
l
!