I upgraded stuff and my computer won't start!

KrisZp

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Hey guys (and possibly girls?), I have a big problem. I just bought a new motherboard and cpu plus some new RAM and just installed everything. I think I've connected every stupid cord right but the computer doesn't start windows 7. The BIOS recognizes everything put windows keeps crashing. I'm trying to reinstall it right now.

Specs: motherboard asus P8 Z77-v LE plus
intel quad core i5
16gb of ram
everything else is irrelevant

I hope you can help me! thanks!

cklaubur

Distinguished
Did you reinstall Windows after replacing the motherboard and processor? Windows can usually handle small changes (different processors in the same series, memory additions), but big platform changes confuse it.

Casey

*EDIT* vrumor beat me...

download to a usb stick the newest bios. flash the bios to the newest rev. then reboot and set the bios to factory default. then reboot again and hit f8 safe mode. go into system device manager and remove everything. also remove all the video card drivers and your anti virus. then in msconfig turn every thing off in start up. you want to make the old install of windows 7 as clean as you can.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Windows installs chipset drivers that when re-installed with another board, causes conflicts with a new chipset board install. If you went from one M/B to another with the same chipset you could actually keep your OS with little issues. However once you swap that its best to reinstall.

thenewnumber2

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Sounds like you are using your previous HDD with the old Win7 installation? If so, this is the problem. Wipe the drive and do a clean install and you should be OK.

EDIT: I should have refreshed the page before replying: yeah, do what everyone else said!

KrisZp

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Haha! thanks guys. It worked, though even if I did a clean install it kept pretty much all my old files but they are innaccessible, which is weird but none problematic. I'll leave you there, I've got a bunch of drivers to reinstall.