(2) GTX 470s i SLI mode and PSU size

mjohnson24

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I got a thermaltake TR2 RX 850watt power supply running (2) sata hd's, amd 1090t, 16gb ram, (1) sata bluray player, (1) PNY GTX470. I added another pny gtx 470 last night and after a few minutes my computer just shutdown on its own. Could it be because the powersupply isnt big enough to run all that and if so what size do i need?

mjohnson24

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Yea thats what geeksquad said that it should be enought to run everything i had with (2) gtx470s in sli mode but the computer just up and shutdown on its own. I had all displays ( 2 monitors on one card and my tv on the other) and everything was showing my desktop so i know the cards work but the power supply is brand new though. I jsut bought it last night as well.

mjohnson24

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Yea and thats what im guessing as well. It sucks though cause i guess im just gonna have t go out and splurge for a 1200w power supply. I liked that one cause it was only like $141. You or anyone else that reads this post have any suggestions?

ET900

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
its always a bit sketchy pushing a psu close to its limits. use those psu calculators to get an average and then aim for about 150w above. some may say this is overkill, and maybe right. but its hard to tell when their is a bit of contoversy over the efficiency rating on psu's. some people say that all psu's give the power they state, they are just wasting excess power when they are under a fairly heavy load, and some say that they cant actually provide the power they state. so for example a 80+ efficency rated 1000w psu can only supply up to around 800w efficiently, once you start drawing more than that some of the power gets wasted and cant be used. im not sure how well ive worded that and to be honest im not to sure on it all myself so i just like to make sure i am a nice chunk within my psu's stated wattage.

one thing ive learned over the years is that the psu is the most important part of the system because if it isnt putting out enough power it can cause so many problems. also when they blow they can destroy the hardware in your computer - trust me its happened to me and that was a sad day :(

in short - dont skimp on psu's!!

BlackHawk91

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-RX-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/902/7

Not your exact same model but the whole TR2-RX series must be faulty somehow:

According to our methodology, Thermaltake TR2 RX 750 W cannot deliver its labeled wattage. It burned after one minute delivering 750 W at a room temperature a little bit above 45º C. Thinking that we may have got a defective unit, we asked Thermaltake another sample, which burned exactly the same way. In both units the component that burned was one of the +12 V rectifiers.(...) Conclusions: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750 W is, according to our methodology, a flawed product that must be avoided at all costs. It can’t deliver its labeled wattage at high temperatures, but this is not the worst of it: ripple and noise level are way above the maximum allowed when you pull 80% or more from the unit’s labeled capacity(i.e., 600 W and above), overloading your components (especially electrolytic capacitors from the motherboard and video cards), which can cause your PC to present an erratic behavior (crashes and random resets) and, under extreme conditions, damage components.

mjohnson24

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

Yea and that's probably the same issue with my psu. It sucks but oh we'll. Hopefully there's nothing wrong with any of the hardware now that this has happened.

To rolli59, I like this psu's and was looking at them but I was thinking of expansion for later though. What would be something at a higher wattage you would recommend?

mjohnson24

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

I think i might look into that corsair pro. i know it may be overkill but i just want to make sure it has plenty of power.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
I have a 2x 470's and a Coolermaster GX750watt PSU along side:
4 HDD's (80Gb, 250GB, 500GB and a 1.5TB)
Blu-Ray DVD Player
Couple of USB's plugged in (Mouse, K/board, Printer, external HDD, Joystick/Xbox Gamepad)
(Main Specs in my sig)

Has been running now over a year, no stutters, nothing... Very confident and happy with it. People said it'll fall over at the first hurdle, blow it ruin your system within weeks, over a year later........
Would even go as far as to say its on average on about 15-20 hours a day aswell..

I wouldn't go for anything less, but to be honest, I wouldn't spend double the amount on a PSU for the same power, i.e. this Coolermaster cost me £100, a corsair with the same power was £220.. and had less connectors..

Im not saying get an unknown make for £20, but something quite decent is sufficient (in my experience and view)

mjohnson24

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Well guess im no longer in need of a new power supply right now cause that Thermaltake i had fried one of my gtx470's. My original DOESN'T work now cause the PSU fried it but the new gtx470 i got does still work. Not sure why it would fry one of the cards but it did. And now i cant get another gtx470 cause they dont make em anymore.

mjohnson24

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
yea thats what im saying. Someone gonna do something cause theres no reason for it to fry like it did. The power supply is SLI ready supposedly and its got the correct amount of 6pin cables and the motherboard is SLI ready and the video cards are capable of actually doing 3 way SLI.

mjohnson24

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Well as per Thermaltake they said send the videocard and powersupply to them and they will test it and determin if its the powersupply that caused it. If it is they will work with me on replacing or refunding the money or the card for the videocard. If its not then i pay them on the return fee to have it shipped back to me. If it is the powersupply thats defective then they will send me a new powersupply which will be the same model power supply.