Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Memory for ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Last response: in Memory
January 21, 2013 2:11:09 AM

Hello,
As the title states I am looking into what memory to get for my ASRock Z77 board that I will be using in an upcoming build.
I have 2 questions about memory. Would I be better off to go with 2x8gb or 4x4gb? I also was wondering if I would have to get low profile memory sticks because I will be using the Cooler Master 212 Evo?
January 21, 2013 2:21:51 AM

How much are you willing to spend on a kit?
January 21, 2013 1:41:12 PM

Most I want to spend is right around $100.
Related resources
a b } Memory
January 21, 2013 2:13:17 PM

Rockdpm indicated two excellent choices - I am very partial to the GSkill RAM...I use it in all my builds.

One thing to keep in mind - it is always best to buy a "kit" containing all the RAM you are installing - as they will all be from the same production run.

I see all too often where RAM is added after the fact - either mismatched RAM (different Manufacturer and/or Model) or the RAM is from a different production run. The first mismatch will create issues 99% of the time, the second 50% of the time.

Since RAM is inexpensive as compared to other components - always buy the kit. If you are upgrading, best case scenario for the old RAM is to repurpose it in a machine as a complete kit....don't just add extra sticks.

January 21, 2013 2:30:12 PM

ronintexas said:
Rockdpm indicated two excellent choices - I am very partial to the GSkill RAM...I use it in all my builds.

One thing to keep in mind - it is always best to buy a "kit" containing all the RAM you are installing - as they will all be from the same production run.

I see all too often where RAM is added after the fact - either mismatched RAM (different Manufacturer and/or Model) or the RAM is from a different production run. The first mismatch will create issues 99% of the time, the second 50% of the time.

Since RAM is inexpensive as compared to other components - always buy the kit. If you are upgrading, best case scenario for the old RAM is to repurpose it in a machine as a complete kit....don't just add extra sticks.

So your saying just go ahead and buy a full 16GB kit whether it be 4x4GB's or 2x8GB?
a b } Memory
January 21, 2013 2:45:55 PM

ill go for 2x8, save the extra slots
a b } Memory
January 21, 2013 3:00:48 PM

Either kit is good - you have 4 slots. You shouldn't get 2X8GB now, and then add 2X8GB later....so either kit will do just fine - get the one that is less expensive.

In the two that were suggested, one was a 2X4GB kit X2, the other a 2X8GB kit...I would suggest the 2X8GB just to be 100% certain that you get a matched memory set....Just my opinion.
January 21, 2013 3:07:15 PM

Yea i agree with Ronin on this
a b } Memory
January 21, 2013 8:25:28 PM

The GSkill Ares are 1.30 inches tall. The Corsair Vengence is slightly over 2 inches tall.
January 21, 2013 8:32:40 PM

ronintexas said:
The GSkill Ares are 1.30 inches tall. The Corsair Vengence is slightly over 2 inches tall.

What would you recommend out of those two? I am leaning toward the GSkills
January 21, 2013 8:40:17 PM

ARes gets my vote. But Corsair makes good ram kits

Best solution

a b } Memory
January 22, 2013 12:13:12 PM

I would get the GSkill Ares - not because there is a big difference in quality/performance - but because of the size.
January 22, 2013 1:52:23 PM

Best answer selected by brogz42.
!