How to disable the dGPU (nVidia GRX 560 Ti) on a i7 2600K/H67 combo

Pixellini

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
I am a long term notebook user and have no experience with workstations, much less building them from scratch, yet I am planning on getting an i7 2600K on a H67 motherboard (pre built system) to take advantage of the QuickSync feature for video and a dGPU (GTX Ti 560) for 3D rendering and gaming. What I would like to know is how it actually works to disable the dGPU (GTX Ti 560) and enable iGPU (QuickSync) and vice versa (as they are not working simultaneously on a H67 Mobo) - do I need to physically disconnect/take out the dGPU and reboot each time or is there any GUI setting to do this via software on the fly??
I know using the Z68 MoBo will render this question pointless as it`s simultaneous and done via Virtu which is however currently unavailable in H67 OEM MoBos, nevertheless the Z68 MoBo is more likely to void my warranty if something is malfunctioning in my PC according to my BTO vendor, due to the Overclock feature and its inherent abuse even if I do not overclock which I currently can live without).

Thanks

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Or my english is really bad right now, or there's a problem:

Z68 voiding warranty even if u do not overclock?
This really dont make sense at all.. is there a possibility ur BTO vendor drunk when told u this?

In the bios, you can select which graphics adapter you want to use for booting.
I imagine you can also disable one of them there.

You may want to rethink what you are buying.
A "K" cpu is intended to be overclocked. If you do not have a Z68 or P67 chipset motherboard, you will not be able to overclock, and a 2600 would be more appropriate.

If you want to overclock, and the performance improvements are impressive(3.4 to >4.0), you should consider a Z68 based motherboard which will also let you use quicksync at the same time. Also, the 2500K will OC to the same levels as a 2600K and will be $100 cheaper.

What is being offered to you is not in your best interests. I suggest you look elsewhere. It is easy to build one yourself to your specs, and be cheaper too. Even if you don't want to, you should be able to have someone else build a pc to your specs and charge you perhaps $100 for the work. Most pre-built systems will have a modest warranty period, but the underlying parts may have an even longer manufacturer's warranty.

Pixellini

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Thanks for the answers - I live in Japan so warranty conditions maybe interpreted differently here, in fact my vendor has a point that when in doubt and my CPU and/or Mobo crashes (due to the fact that I can OC it) then my warranty is invariably void, after all I may be in the minority to buy the 2600K for its QuickSync and not for OverClocking it. So in the worst case a new MoBo plus CPU will cost me 42.000 Yen (equivalent to 540 USD), when my vendor (or any other vendor here in Japan for that matter) decides not to honor the warranty, due to "assumed" abuse of the OC - on a H67 MoBo I do not have this issue as it cannot be overclocked. Why Intel is even nurturing this with selling the K CPUs on Z68 MoBos maybe due to their strategy that OClocked CPUs will likely survive their 1 year warranty, but after that with certainly much shorter life expectancy than Non OClocked CPUs, so people buy more frequently and Intel makes more money. I for my part rather have a 5 year (vendor) warranty on a safe system, with no issues and excuses of possible abuse and my target i7 2600K (H67); 8 GB RAM with GTX 560 Ti PC should be light years faster than my current Core 2 Duo T8100 with onboard graphics plus 2 GB Ram notebook, so no need for me to overclock, yet the QuickSync is a feature I`d like to have.