Your question

Coil whine

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Graphics Cards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 10, 2011 11:02:04 PM

I've been experiencing a lot of coil noise after I've installed my new graphics card. Naturally, one would assume it's the graphics card making the noise, but it seems to come from the PSU also. So my point is, it's hard to identify the source.
I built my system in stages and I finally got a dedicated card yesterday. I did not notice the coil whine before, so I'm not sure if it's several components affected or just the card, but I can say that I pulled my PSU out of the case and kept it outside while turning on my computer. I put my ear down to the PSU and there seemed to be a small amount of noise coming from it, but when I stick my head into the case, there seems to be noise coming from there as well. Since the coil noise is quite audible. It's as I said difficult to determine.

To further add to the description. The sound is not there during boot or on idle. It happens when there's any type of GPU acceleration as in games or browsing. For example, in Skyrim the noise is there when I'm playing, but it actually stops when I go into the menus. And when browsing it only happens when a page loads which I suppose means when the GPU is doing work on rendering the page.

Again the new card would be the obvious choice for a culprit, but it does seem like the PSU also has issues, but I don't know. Maybe it could be a third option.

My specs are:
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Intel i7 2600K
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz 2 x 4 GB
Gainward GeForce GTX 560 Ti (their standard edition with stock clocks)
Corsair AX850
OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB
Western Digital 320 GB (An old Caviar HDD from 2005 or so)
Corsair Obsidian 650D

I just included everything even if half of it is irrelevant.
I hope anyone has any ideas. I figure the standard procedure would be to try each component in another system, but I kinda don't have that luxury.

I wrote an angry RMA to Corsair, because I read of potential issues with the AX850 and coil whine, but I think I may have pointed the finger too soon since I pulled it out of the PC although as mentioned it does emit a noise unless my ears deceive me. The noise sounds like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbuS5xKgLUU more or less.

More about : coil whine

a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2011 12:49:35 AM

how interesting :) 
As the problem started when you added the GPU I would suggest finding a friend willing to trade cards. See if their system starts making noise with your card, and see if the noise disappears in your system with a different powerful card in it. Most likely the noise is due to strain on the power supply, but you will have to try it to find out.
December 11, 2011 8:16:01 AM

Yeah, a friend of mine has a 6870, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to borrow it. That's the only thing I can do except buying a second card since I have been considering SLI. It would however be silly to spend more money in order to fix a problem since I don't need the extra card as I run all my current games on ultra settings.
!