Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help on my upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 15, 2012 9:43:59 PM

Good evening for everyone.

Actually i have an asus p6tse i7920 6gb 1600mhz patriot memory and one ssd drive. I wish to do an upgrade on my comp what is the best option considering i will use it for FSX, XPLANE 10, and 3d rendering (modo, maya 3ds, nuke)etc.

1) i7 990x - no need to change the mobo but i cant find compatible memory to put at least 24gb for video/rendering

2) i7 2600k or 3960x but i have to go for a new mobo and memory modules and cooler

I have the evga 570gtx video card putting a second one in SLI is really worth ? the performance step considering the cost is good?

Thank you

More about : upgrade

a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 15, 2012 9:47:09 PM

You already have a monstrous rig. You'll be better saving for Haswell in 2013.

SLI is a pain in the arse. Almost all games have problems with SLI and it's a pain to get it working.

Are you not satisfied with the speed of your rig?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 15, 2012 10:05:01 PM

e56imfg said:
You already have a monstrous rig. You'll be better saving for Haswell in 2013.

SLI is a pain in the arse. Almost all games have problems with SLI and it's a pain to get it working.

Are you not satisfied with the speed of your rig?

Sli works much better in games than it used to.

For an upgrade, you could use some more RAM for rendering videos and stuff. A new CPU and board would help for video rendering, but you could just OC for now and upgrade when Ivy Bridge comes out. How come you can't find compatible memory? Most memory will work fine even if the website for the board doesn't list it as compatible, they just haven't tested it.

I would OC your CPU now, and when Ivy Bridge comes out buy a CPU then.

For the video card, SLi would be nice, but I would wait for the new GTX 6xx series.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 15, 2012 10:05:54 PM

.
m
0
l
March 16, 2012 9:55:00 AM

e56imfg said:
You already have a monstrous rig. You'll be better saving for Haswell in 2013.

SLI is a pain in the arse. Almost all games have problems with SLI and it's a pain to get it working.

Are you not satisfied with the speed of your rig?



Well my rig is good i agree with you, but im thinking on an upgrade because i cant find memory modules, based on the QVL list on Asus site. 6gb on my current 3d projects and video editing is a bit low. So if i have to buy a new mobo to put more RAM i will need a CPU, cooler, etc...

The 990x could increase the performance to balance the disk caching issues that i have with my RAM
m
0
l
March 16, 2012 10:04:27 AM

HostileDonut said:
Sli works much better in games than it used to.

For an upgrade, you could use some more RAM for rendering videos and stuff. A new CPU and board would help for video rendering, but you could just OC for now and upgrade when Ivy Bridge comes out. How come you can't find compatible memory? Most memory will work fine even if the website for the board doesn't list it as compatible, they just haven't tested it.

I would OC your CPU now, and when Ivy Bridge comes out buy a CPU then.

For the video card, SLi would be nice, but I would wait for the new GTX 6xx series.



Im overclocking it to 4ghz i think its a nice speed and i getting 65/70C temperatures on full load. Im on brasil i dont have much options in the market to find a memory that is on the QVL list on asus site. How could i know if a memory will work on my comp? Maybe sending the model to the asus support?

Thank you
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 16, 2012 1:09:25 PM

guilherme said:
Im overclocking it to 4ghz i think its a nice speed and i getting 65/70C temperatures on full load. Im on brasil i dont have much options in the market to find a memory that is on the QVL list on asus site. How could i know if a memory will work on my comp? Maybe sending the model to the asus support?

Thank you

Basically, forget about the QVL list. :lol:  I don't really even check them because the RAM should just work. There is that off chance that it won't work and people say it's not compatible, but really 99% of the time it is just bad RAM. If I were you I would get a kit of 1600Mhz, 9-9-9-24, and 1.5v. Those kinds of kits come pretty cheap and are pretty fast.

Since your CPU is 4Ghz, you are good for now. I would wait for Ivy Bridge to be released and then make an upgrade.

Also, the Nvidia 6xx series will be out soon, so you might want to sell your GTX 570 when it comes out and buy a really nice single GPU 6xx series one.
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 5:48:49 PM

HostileDonut said:
Basically, forget about the QVL list. :lol:  I don't really even check them because the RAM should just work. There is that off chance that it won't work and people say it's not compatible, but really 99% of the time it is just bad RAM. If I were you I would get a kit of 1600Mhz, 9-9-9-24, and 1.5v. Those kinds of kits come pretty cheap and are pretty fast.

Since your CPU is 4Ghz, you are good for now. I would wait for Ivy Bridge to be released and then make an upgrade.

Also, the Nvidia 6xx series will be out soon, so you might want to sell your GTX 570 when it comes out and buy a really nice single GPU 6xx series one.



OK... What do you think that is the best choice:

- Patriot 12GB (3X4GB) DDR3 PC12800 1600MHZ PV7312G1600LLK - 8-9-8-24 1.65v

or

- G.SKill Ripjaws X 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL - CAS Latency 9-9-9-24-2N

I will install 24gb total RAM. The final price of the G.Skill is US$ 60,00 more than the patriot, what i notice is the best timings of the patriot.

Thanks
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 19, 2012 6:37:23 PM

guilherme said:
OK... What do you think that is the best choice:

- Patriot 12GB (3X4GB) DDR3 PC12800 1600MHZ PV7312G1600LLK - 8-9-8-24 1.65v

or

- G.SKill Ripjaws X 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL - CAS Latency 9-9-9-24-2N

I will install 24gb total RAM. The final price of the G.Skill is US$ 60,00 more than the patriot, what i notice is the best timings of the patriot.

Thanks

How many Gbs is the G. SKill? Don't get the Patriot, that is a Triple Channel kit, which SB does not support.

I would get a 4 x 4 gb kit if you want 16gb. For 24gb I would get on an SB-E system I would get 4 x 4 and then 4 x 2 gb kits.
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 7:03:40 PM

HostileDonut said:
How many Gbs is the G. SKill? Don't get the Patriot, that is a Triple Channel kit, which SB does not support.

I would get a 4 x 4 gb kit if you want 16gb. For 24gb I would get on an SB-E system I would get 4 x 4 and then 4 x 2 gb kits.



Are you sure that my machine don't support Triple Channel? Actually i have i7 920 on a Asus P6tSE motherboard, that has 6 memory slots. Now i'm using 3 DIMM's with 2GB each one in triple channel. Anyway, the G.Skill is a 4GB single module, installing 6 of these to get 24gb.

tnx
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 19, 2012 7:07:02 PM

guilherme said:
Are you sure that my machine don't support Triple Channel? Actually i have i7 920 on a Asus P6tSE motherboard, that has 6 memory slots. Now i'm using 3 DIMM's with 2GB each one in triple channel. Anyway, the G.Skill is a 4GB single module, installing 6 of these to get 24gb.

tnx

Oh, sorry! I forgot you have an i7 right now! Yes, your machine now does support triple! You might be able to run triple channel in a quad channel board too though. That might work.
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 7:19:49 PM

The i7920 is not a Sandy Bridge, it's an older Bloomfield core on the 1366 socket mobo, which supports triple channel. If you want a speed increase, but don't want to overhaul the majority of your build, I would max out the RAM on that current system.

If you wanted to do a CPU replacement, the 990X is as expensive as the newer six-core Sandy Bridge 3930K and the 2011 socket motherboard that it requires. So, if you were going to spend that kind of money at the moment, and needed a six-core, the 3930K would be the way to go. The 2011 mobo has quad-channel RAM, but I don't know if that has big advantages or not. If you wanted an entirely new rig, I believe that even the quad-core i7 2600K goes toe-to-toe with the 980X, and even runs with the 990X in a lot of standards (but the 1155 mobo for the i7-2600K supports dual-channel RAM).
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 19, 2012 7:25:58 PM

Honestly, more memory channels doesn't do much performance wise. Dual channel is enough.
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 7:32:02 PM

Yes, I have heard that as well....

So where do the extra channels shine, in anything? For what kind of apps or processes would quad-channel be necessary?

As for OP, you already have the tri-channel board, and buying additional RAM is definitely the cheapest upgrade you could do at the moment. Otherwise, Ivy Bridge is just around the corner.....
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 19, 2012 7:35:34 PM

ebalong said:
Yes, I have heard that as well....

So where do the extra channels shine, in anything? For what kind of apps or processes would quad-channel be necessary?

As for OP, you already have the tri-channel board, and buying additional RAM is definitely the cheapest upgrade you could do at the moment. Otherwise, Ivy Bridge is just around the corner.....

The extra channels provide more bandwidth, but dual channel provides more than enough bandwidth for pretty much everything. Triple and Quad channel memory really don't have nay noticeable difference and still would be negligible in benchmarks.
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 8:09:32 PM

HostileDonut said:
The extra channels provide more bandwidth, but dual channel provides more than enough bandwidth for pretty much everything. Triple and Quad channel memory really don't have nay noticeable difference and still would be negligible in benchmarks.



so what would you suggest with that two options that i have ? G.Skill or Patriot?

tnx
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 19, 2012 8:17:56 PM

guilherme said:
so what would you suggest with that two options that i have ? G.Skill or Patriot?

tnx

I still don't know what the G. SKill is. You didn't say what x 4gb. How much RAM is it?
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 8:28:07 PM

HostileDonut said:
I still don't know what the G. SKill is. You didn't say what x 4gb. How much RAM is it?



"G.SKill Ripjaws X" this is the model i think, and 4GB is the capacity of one module, so i have to put 6 of these.

my english in not so good, sorry :p 


tnx
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 19, 2012 8:36:09 PM

I would go for something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Then you can upgrade later if needed. Pretty cheap for 4 x 4gb 1600Mhz for the great quality it gives you.

Also, your English is great! I can understand everything you say, just I didn't know how many modules the G. Skill had.
m
0
l
!