Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help with first custom build

Last response: in Components
Share
March 15, 2012 9:58:20 PM

Hi, I'm building my first computer and I need some advice on some stuff. First I have a budget of around $400, but I can go a little over just not pushing $450, is that enough to make a decent entry-mid level gaming computer with Windows 7 home premium 64bit?(That would cut my budget down to about $300-$350) I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. The games that I'm playing right now are like Fallout New Vegas, Crysis Warhead, Crysis, possibly Crysis 2, Farcry 2, Oblivion, Skyrim soon, and hopefully MW3. Also I want something that I can use for a couple of years before I need something completely new. I was also leaning towards AMD because they seem to stick to one socket type for quite a while, where Intel seems to changes sockets all the time. So I would appreciate if you would steer me in the right direction, whether it be Intel or AMD. I was considering the FX-4100 but I don't know what to think. Like I said earlier I just want the best bang for my buck, but need to get everything for the tower, including the case.

Next for motherboards is there any brands that I should stay away from, and at the same time some that are really good? Also should I lean towards ATX or micro ATX. I'm not to worried about the disc drive, but I don't know what I should get for a hard drive, especially what size. This computers main purpose is going to be for gaming also. Then how much ram should I be thinking about putting in?

Next, I don't need the best card in there right, I haven't ever had a graphics card so anything is a big improvement really. But I would like some suggestions. Then what would you think about either SLI or Crossfire, are they necessary for what I'm doing, or worth it at all or would it be better just to spend a little more later to get one better card instead of 2 decent ones? Then finally the case, should I look for a more expensive case with really good air flow? But I was thinking about just buying a cheapo case off Craigslist or something and cutting the side out and putting one giant 200-300mm fan on then have a couple of 120mm fans on the back to blow the hot air out?

Please keep in kind that I am going to upgrade things like ram and graphics cards whenever I get more money, so I don't need to have all the best stuff now. Thanks for anything that you can tell, I really appreciate it.



More about : custom build

March 15, 2012 10:06:41 PM

1. New Build forum is the right place to ask about this stuff.

2. $450 is not enough to make it last a couple of years.

3. AMD has discontinued all their current sockets- Trinity will be using socket FM2. Intel on the otherhand has 1155- Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge. Intel currently has the upper edge in the market at every price point given.

4. Full ATX mobos are the way to go- better cooling / more features.

5. Re-use the disk drive and HDD on your current rig

6. $450 is not enough for any Crossfire / SLI rig

7. Cases are more personal preference than performance

8. Don't build a new system right now. New products are coming along with many price drops.

9. List your system specs.
March 15, 2012 11:20:19 PM

tygasp said:
Hi, I'm building my first computer and I need some advice on some stuff. First I have a budget of around $400, but I can go a little over just not pushing $450, is that enough to make a decent entry-mid level gaming computer with Windows 7 home premium 64bit?(That would cut my budget down to about $300-$350) I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. The games that I'm playing right now are like Fallout New Vegas, Crysis Warhead, Crysis, possibly Crysis 2, Farcry 2, Oblivion, Skyrim soon, and hopefully MW3. Also I want something that I can use for a couple of years before I need something completely new. I was also leaning towards AMD because they seem to stick to one socket type for quite a while, where Intel seems to changes sockets all the time. So I would appreciate if you would steer me in the right direction, whether it be Intel or AMD. I was considering the FX-4100 but I don't know what to think. Like I said earlier I just want the best bang for my buck, but need to get everything for the tower, including the case.

Next for motherboards is there any brands that I should stay away from, and at the same time some that are really good? Also should I lean towards ATX or micro ATX. I'm not to worried about the disc drive, but I don't know what I should get for a hard drive, especially what size. This computers main purpose is going to be for gaming also. Then how much ram should I be thinking about putting in?

Next, I don't need the best card in there right, I haven't ever had a graphics card so anything is a big improvement really. But I would like some suggestions. Then what would you think about either SLI or Crossfire, are they necessary for what I'm doing, or worth it at all or would it be better just to spend a little more later to get one better card instead of 2 decent ones? Then finally the case, should I look for a more expensive case with really good air flow? But I was thinking about just buying a cheapo case off Craigslist or something and cutting the side out and putting one giant 200-300mm fan on then have a couple of 120mm fans on the back to blow the hot air out?

Please keep in kind that I am going to upgrade things like ram and graphics cards whenever I get more money, so I don't need to have all the best stuff now. Thanks for anything that you can tell, I really appreciate it.


Save up some more money. $350 will get you a good gaming video card that will last you a couple years. No processor, mobo or ram with that.
Related resources
March 16, 2012 12:00:47 AM

e56imfg said:
1. New Build forum is the right place to ask about this stuff.

2. $450 is not enough to make it last a couple of years.

3. AMD has discontinued all their current sockets- Trinity will be using socket FM2. Intel on the otherhand has 1155- Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge. Intel currently has the upper edge in the market at every price point given.

4. Full ATX mobos are the way to go- better cooling / more features.

5. Re-use the disk drive and HDD on your current rig

6. $450 is not enough for any Crossfire / SLI rig

7. Cases are more personal preference than performance

8. Don't build a new system right now. New products are coming along with many price drops.

9. List your system specs.



Right now I don't have anything, I've been using the family computer and I'm sick of 20 fps at lowest settings. Here are the specs that I know:
Athlon II X2 220 2.8ghz
4gb of ram
and onboard graphics card

So it really isn't that I need anything that great, just anything that is better than that, and I can't do anything with this computer because my parents don't want it opened. Thanks.
March 16, 2012 3:25:41 AM

tygasp said:
Right now I don't have anything, I've been using the family computer and I'm sick of 20 fps at lowest settings. Here are the specs that I know:
Athlon II X2 220 2.8ghz
4gb of ram
and onboard graphics card

So it really isn't that I need anything that great, just anything that is better than that, and I can't do anything with this computer because my parents don't want it opened. Thanks.

NZXT 210
G860
ASRock H61
4GB
Rosewill 500w
7750
320GB

Total : ~ 450 to 470 with rebates and promo cards

This is the best I could get you. It will play some older games maxed out @ 60FPS while it will play BF3 at the lowest settings @ 40 to 60 FPS.
!