Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best case shorter than 20" tall

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
March 15, 2012 11:18:22 PM

Looking for the best performing/highest quality case I can fit in a 20" tall desk cabinet. Depth shouldn't be an issue, neither is width (12ish). Happy to spend in the $200-300 range if I like it.

My current top pick is the Silverstone FT02. It has the quality and size I'm looking for, but I want to be sure there aren't other contenders I should be considering. It seems to be the biggest case that fits in this space due to the 90 degree rotation.

Context: I live in a smallish Apt with my girlfriend. Given our space and aesthetic limitations, I'm allowed any kind of technology I can hide in my desk. :D  ) Before some of you express concerns -- I've taken the back panel off of the desk compartment, so it does have adequate cooling despite the tight fit. (the space behind the opening is actually about 2" taller than my 20" opening limitation -- so I do have room for top ventilation in a case like the FT02 and the open back on the desk lets me fit this exceptionally deep case).

Parts moving over: (from a retiring Antec 300 Illusion) i5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz on a ASUS P8P67 Deluxe w/Antec 620 Kuhler, Cruical M4 128gb SSD, XFX 6950 2gb (dual fan vers), 16GB G.Skill Ripjaw 1600, Seasonic X650 Gold. (Not sure how well the Kuhler will work in this airflow case?)

More about : case shorter tall

a c 87 ) Power supply
March 15, 2012 11:41:37 PM

The HAF-922 is a great case but unfortunately the power ON button is right on the top side.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Whatever case you end up with, make sure you have something like a small table fan blowing air directly at the case in the desk cabinet.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 16, 2012 12:50:48 AM

Ubrales said:
The HAF-922 is a great case but unfortunately the power ON button is right on the top side.

Whatever case you end up with, make sure you have something like a small table fan blowing air directly at the case in the desk cabinet.

Thanks for the idea -- I'll look. I usually leave the door open during heavy gaming sessions, but am definitely considering some external fans.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
March 18, 2012 1:44:24 AM

Nudge -- anyone else have ideas?
m
l
a c 110 ) Power supply
March 18, 2012 1:58:04 AM

Fractal Design...?
m
l
March 18, 2012 2:23:15 AM

I have a HAF 922 in my desk my Q6600 is idling at 25-30 on all cores right now, very nice case. Except it is not painted black inside and no USB 3.0.

I love my HAF but the new cheaper Corsair 300 and 400 cases seem really nice too
here is the 400R only ten dollars more than the HAF 922 the dimensions are 20.5 x 8.1 x 19.8 not sure which is height so it may fit in your desk.

**Edit**
I have never used the corsair cases, I have heard good things and they are just a suggestion to look at.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 18, 2012 3:19:35 AM

amuffin said:
Fractal Design...?

Interesting. I haven't looked at these. What model are you suggesting?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 18, 2012 3:21:57 AM

chris2341 said:
I have a HAF 922 in my desk my Q6600 is idling at 25-30 on all cores right now, very nice case. Except it is not painted black inside and no USB 3.0.

I love my HAF but the new cheaper Corsair 300 and 400 cases seem really nice too
here is the 400R only ten dollars more than the HAF 922 the dimensions are 20.5 x 8.1 x 19.8 not sure which is height so it may fit in your desk.

**Edit**
I have never used the corsair cases, I have heard good things and they are just a suggestion to look at.

Thanks -- I've been looking at the mid-level Corsairs. Even though they have some sweet to conveniences, they just don't seem like enough of a change over my current case. Even though they are better I have trouble justifying the expense when its so similar to what I'm currently running.
m
l

Best solution

March 18, 2012 3:33:37 AM

The thing about corsair is the build quality and unique features.

Silverstone makes excellent cases but personally I dont think I would shell out near $300 dollars for a case without USB 3.0 and if it is in a desk the I/O panel and buttons may be hard to reach

For fractal cases the Define R3 and ARC midi are supposedly nice cases Linus From NCIX has a detailed unboxing of both on youtube just search Linustechtips

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
a c 110 ) Power supply
March 18, 2012 3:49:52 PM

chris2341 said:
I wasnt sure if that was height or width, but good to know.

20.85" x 8.17" x 17.4" height!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 18, 2012 6:38:43 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm still not sold on anything here as an alternative, but the ideas do help a lot.

I do really like how sleek the white fractal R3 looks (which the newegg photo says is 17.4 tall BTW) but I still think I want to get a higher-end/better cooled case. It's staying on the list as a strong contender though.

Maybe I'll have to figure out a way to modify this desk and get a larger tower in ... otherwise the FT02 is probably still it.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 2, 2012 5:15:23 PM

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. I got the FT02 I was originally looking at. I modified the desk it fits in to have bottom ventilation -- and it works great.

All thoughts and suggestions were appreciated!

m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 2, 2012 5:18:50 PM

Best answer selected by deadlockedworld.
m
l
!