Your question

How dirty is too dirsty for my desktop?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Performance
  • Desktops
Last response: in CPUs
March 16, 2012 12:26:12 AM

Well its my first desktop rig and Im happy to say that I find my purchase to be of great value and performance. Thing is I'm not sure just how I'm going to maintain it. Pardon me for being too conscious its just that I've spent a lot of money on my PC and I just want to maintain it so I get the best performance possible.

My case has a side fan so its blowing dust into my computer and when I opened the sidepanel to check I noticed that the GPU is starting to get covered in the stuff. I was just wondering if thats dangerous or not, like do I have to clean it, if so how often and how do I go about it?

OH & BTW

is there a program that can monitor and record my CPU's performance much in the same way that GPUz monitors my GPU?

Finally, is there anything else you guys here can tell me about maintaining a computer like defragging and stuff?

More about : dirty dirsty desktop

a b à CPUs
March 16, 2012 12:37:28 AM

Dust can be dangerous in big amounts, so it would take a long time for it to kill your system. Now, the thing you should be worried about are the FANs and the heat sinks that should be dust free to let them do their job (dissipate heat and blow fresh air). So, open it up and with a brush you can dust it off in close/tight areas and with a vacuum cleaner remove the overall dust IMO.

And, well, to monitor your CPU processing and stuff... There are several apps actually. I used CPU Meter for a while: http://addgadget.com/all_cpu_meter/

It's quite simple and informative of all the important stuff.

I'm now using Process Explorer to monitor processes and CPU usage in real time on my second screen. I would still advice you to get Process Explorer as the task manager replacement. Very very useful: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb89665...

And for day to day software care... Well, just have an Antivirus Software running and I would advice to download CCleaner. It's really useful and simple to use: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

That's from the top of my head right now.

Cheers!
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2012 12:51:34 AM

One time my old PC kept freezing while i was doing things. I took it to the shop and they said the only reason why it kept freezing was there was too much dust inside. They blew some air into it using compressed air and it worked just fine.
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategor...

you might want to make your side case fan an exhaust since it probably doesnt have a filter. keeps more dust out.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2012 2:10:59 AM

Win 7 should defrag your PC at a certain time that you set it to. I believe that time is 3 A.M. by default.

As for a CPU program, yes there is. It is called CPU-Z and is an amazing light utility to have. Also, Hardware monitor is great and tells temperatures, voltages, fan speeds, etc. I like having those both, especially when overclocking.

With the dust, basically if you have to ask this question, you should be cleaning it. I clean my machine around every 1-3 months. If I have the case open, I give it a quick spray down with compressed air to get the dust out. It works wonders! It helps keep components cool so that the run a long time and give it a good life. Keeping too much dust can insulate heat, causing life to degrade.

Hope this answers your question! :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2012 4:14:31 AM

If you can see dust on your cooling components, then it's time for cleaning.

Dust is an insulator and they also drag you fan blade.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2012 2:48:19 PM

freshbuilder said:
Well its my first desktop rig and Im happy to say that I find my purchase to be of great value and performance. Thing is I'm not sure just how I'm going to maintain it. Pardon me for being too conscious its just that I've spent a lot of money on my PC and I just want to maintain it so I get the best performance possible.

My case has a side fan so its blowing dust into my computer and when I opened the sidepanel to check I noticed that the GPU is starting to get covered in the stuff. I was just wondering if thats dangerous or not, like do I have to clean it, if so how often and how do I go about it?

OH & BTW

is there a program that can monitor and record my CPU's performance much in the same way that GPUz monitors my GPU?

Finally, is there anything else you guys here can tell me about maintaining a computer like defragging and stuff?

You can make your computer absolutely dust free. Quite simple. First off, you will sacrifice a small amount of cooling potential, but if you make your intake air current more than your exhaust current, you will create positive air pressure inside your PC. Most PC cases with just an exhaust fan have very negative air pressure inside which gets dust everywhere. If you slow down your exhaust fan(s) and let the intake fans make a higher air pressure within the case, dust will be kept out much better.

Secondly, buy a small/cheap HEPA air filter and place it near your computer case (preferably in a room not to big). The HEPA filter will keep the air running much cleaner inside the room or the area. The only thing you'll be cleaning is the prefilter of the HEPA...not your practically dust free computer.

I can say, Ive had my desktop running 24/7 since November '09 and I cleaned twice...and in both cases there was almost no dust, I was just replacing a component and decided to use some compressed air to get anything out.

-------------------------------------

There is also a few things about defragging for HDD's.
File Defragmentation: Defragmentation of actual files.
File Optimization: Putting already defragmented files used for one program closer to each other.
Physical Disk Consolidation: Puts all the files on the outer edge of the disk platter.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2012 3:01:40 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
You can make your computer absolutely dust free. Quite simple. First off, you will sacrifice a small amount of cooling potential, but if you make your intake air current more than your exhaust current, you will create positive air pressure inside your PC. Most PC cases with just an exhaust fan have very negative air pressure inside which gets dust everywhere. If you slow down your exhaust fan(s) and let the intake fans make a higher air pressure within the case, dust will be kept out much better.

Secondly, buy a small/cheap HEPA air filter and place it near your computer case (preferably in a room not to big). The HEPA filter will keep the air running much cleaner inside the room or the area. The only thing you'll be cleaning is the prefilter of the HEPA...not your practically dust free computer.

I can say, Ive had my desktop running 24/7 since November '09 and I cleaned twice...and in both cases there was almost no dust, I was just replacing a component and decided to use some compressed air to get anything out.

-------------------------------------

There is also a few things about defragging for HDD's.
File Defragmentation: Defragmentation of actual files.
File Optimization: Putting already defragmented files used for one program closer to each other.
Physical Disk Consolidation: Puts all the files on the outer edge of the disk platter.

+1

personally i got an antec300. this has air filters on the front in front off two fans.

and on the back are two exhaust fans. this stops most dust getting in there

too be honest dragging a pc out every 3-6months and using compressed air on it (outside preferably) to remove the dust. i wouldn't recommend a vacuum cleaner because you can damage parts with it

as long as the room your pc in is kept clean e.g. no dust then your pc should stay relatively dust free as well because there is less dust to be sucked in

my stepdad's pc was dragged out every 1-2 years to be cleaned inside

mine is cleaned a lot more often. but since i got dust filters on new pc its so clean in there that its not worth the time actually cleaning it as the fans are relatively clean

cpu z for monitering cpu.

i would recommend smart defrag 2 from iobit

you set it and forget. it can be set to defrag at a specific time or when the cpu's idle goes over a certain threshold

and its a lot faster than the one built into windows
m
l
a c 123 à CPUs
March 16, 2012 4:01:30 PM

get your self some filters... they cost £2-4 are washable and can go either on the front of between the case and fan or even attach to the back of the fan... as long as you have positive air pressure in the case you wont have much of a dust problem...
http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=12... any of these would work and will mean you only have to remove light dust from the tops of everything rather than huge dust bunnys in the corners. every 2 weeks.... filters allow you to drop your cleaning down to 3-4 months...
m
l
March 16, 2012 11:16:19 PM

wow response has been overwhelming thanks guys!
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2012 1:07:43 AM

freshbuilder said:
wow response has been overwhelming thanks guys!

No problem! :) 
m
l
!