Sign in with
Your question

FPS spike, stutter even with new graphics card?

Last response: in Systems
December 11, 2011 2:17:25 AM

Okay well I recently built a new system since I couldn't play the games I wanted to with my old one.

The specs are:

AMD Phenom II x4 970 BE @3.5ghz
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
520c 520w Antec Neo Eco PSU (theres 40A on the 12v)
ASRock 970 extreme3 motherboard
Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM

and when I play APB Reloaded, my game gets all choppy. I checked the fps for it, and whenever I lagg, my FPS spikes down and therefore it laggs. I mean wth? Why does that happen? It stutters and it's really annoying and shouldn't be happening with a system like that.

Some people say CPU causes FPS spikes, but my CPU usage never goes over like 30-40%.
As for RAM, my RAM usage is like 50% and thats normal for that game.

I thought it was the graphics card, so I went out and bought an even BETTER graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 560 ti ) and that still didn't fix the problem. Heck, now I even get lines going up and down the screen with the 560ti. Yes I installed the latest drivers for BOTH the cards.

I THINK it MIGHT be the power supply, but people said that that power supply is more than enough and people said they even ran their 560ti on a 450w PSU.

I have mouse lagg on APB Reloaded and Dragon Nest. Also, this game GunZ, even with the new 560 ti, the FPS still didn't change and is spiking as well. The 560ti is supposed to be a better card than the 6850, so why didn't the fps change?

The FPS didn't change either with the other games.

Please help guys...this is really annoying me and making me sad..I wasted a lot of money on this.

What do I doooooooooooooo :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :( 
December 11, 2011 5:34:13 AM

Here's a fairly thorough guide for eliminating known stuttering issues with APB Reloaded in particular.

If that doesn't work you can run memtest. At this point personally I'd just rma both the ram and the mobo and see how it goes. You've eliminated the gpu as the problem and I really can't fathom the Antec 520 being a weak spot on a system that's probably drawing less than 300w total.
m
l
December 13, 2011 7:56:19 PM

Yeah I'm just gonna RMA the processor for a replacement, refund the motherboard and get a different asus one, (m5a97) the one for 95$, and refund my RAM and get one on the motherboard compatibility list.

If that doesn't work.....idk what to do.

m
l
!