Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[Project Idea] Laptop Cooler Idea Help

Last response: in Components
Share
March 16, 2012 12:55:27 AM

My laptop cooler from Targus broke a while ago and I tried to fix it. It worked for a little while, but then broke again. Anyways, back on topic:

I thought it would be cool to create my own AC powered laptop cooler. I was hoping to get two acrylic sheets and hook up some 80mm LED fans that I had laying around. In addition to the coolers, I might add a little something like bright LEDs for a bit of lighting on the sides. Now the issue is I want to make this an "awesome laptop cooler." I might just make this like a laptop cooling platform with space for notes (like a mini whiteboard type of thing) and/or a USB hub (if I can figure out how to integrate it).


I just need some advice on how to go about doing this or some cool ideas that might add to the "awesomeness."

Electrical knowledge: Decent (But will research if needed)
Tools: Will be able to buy (hopefully)

Thanks for your help.
a b ) Power supply
a c 248 D Laptop
March 16, 2012 12:57:26 AM

Hi :) 

80 mm fans wont work...not enough CFM....

All the best Brett :) 
March 16, 2012 12:59:19 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

80 mm fans wont work...not enough CFM....

All the best Brett :) 


How much CFM would be a good range? I had 50+ CFM fans in mind.

(Quick question within a question: One fan should be exhaust and one intake assuming only two fans used, correct?)
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a c 248 D Laptop
March 16, 2012 1:07:14 AM

Cybernetic said:
How much CFM would be a good range? I had 50+ CFM fans in mind.

(Quick question within a question: One fan should be exhaust and one intake assuming only two fans used, correct?)


Hi :) 

Umm this isnt going to work lol...

But YES ...one inlet and one exhaust or 2...

Regarding CFM...research PROPER lappy coolers....and their CFM.....

All the best Brett :) 
March 16, 2012 1:12:27 AM

I appreciate the help, but please be a little more constructive. If it won't work, tell me why. PLEASE.

It was just one of those ideas that I thought would be cool to try and do. If it doesn't work, eh. If it does, woo-hoo!

EDIT: Something Like This :) 
a b ) Power supply
a c 248 D Laptop
March 16, 2012 1:27:09 AM

Cybernetic said:
I appreciate the help, but please be a little more constructive. If it won't work, tell me why. PLEASE.

It was just one of those ideas that I thought would be cool to try and do. If it doesn't work, eh. If it does, woo-hoo!

EDIT: Something Like This :) 


Hi :) 

If I tell you why , then you wont learn anything...

DO the research and you will learn why....

30 Minutes on Google.....

All the best Brett :) 
March 16, 2012 1:34:02 AM

A point in the right direction? Perhaps even a simple phrase: "CFM" or "Power Requirements" ?
!