6950 2GB Power Problem?

dorkydude666

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I bought a Sapphire 6950 2GB card a little over a month ago and my computer has been suffering crashes on a daily basis. I'm not even sure if the card is what is causing the problems, but I don't know how to confirm it. Here are my specs:

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) 7-7-7-21 1.5V
hec X-Power Pro 650 650W Continuous @ 40°C ATX 12V v2.2 / EPS 12V

My computer is running on stock settings and has been very stable for the past year. I disregarded the first few crashes after installing this card because they weren't immediate, the card wasn't overheating, and I couldn't reproduce the crash on purpose. However, I am now noticing a CLICK sound after an hour or two of usage, whether I'm surfing the net or playing games, it seems random. I want to say it's the fans of the GPU slowing down or turning off completely, but I haven't checked yet. On occasion the component will power back up to normal and seems to avoid crashing afterward.

The card doesn't seem to experience much stress even while playing games at very high settings. I would like to stress test the card, but I could use recommendations on what program I should run to give me an accurate result of its performance.

Another possible problem could be my PSU. It's not a quality PSU, but there aren't any compatibility issues that I can find through Google and Newegg reviews. I assume nobody has this PSU, but could this be a problem at all?

I'm running the latest drivers I could download automatically through Catalyst, but I haven't seen any hotfixs that might fix this problem. It seems a lot of fixes are for particular beta games, not a specific fix for the card. I could be wrong.

I like to think I know a bit about system configurations. I'm a novice in the overclocking category, which is why I'm keeping things on default settings (also because I don't want to stress this PSU until someone can confirm how much it could handle). Could someone give me a troubleshooting list for problems I should check for?

Solution
I suggest you find out what the clicking noise is about. Your probably right in that one of your fans is boned. Very easy to just open the case up and see whats up.

As far as I know fans are really the only moving part on a computer so it pretty much has to be that. Or one of those super old floppy disk drives that makes lots o ticks and clicks.

The easiest thing to do as I said before is just check your hardware temps and change out parts to find the culprit. It sounds like you have done a bit of swapping out already so yes maybe it is your mobo or cpu....or your last thermal paste application didnt go so smoothly.

keep in mind that even though you replaced your psu, it still may have done damage to one of your parts...

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Find out how much power your psu is supposed to emit and check it with a program such as hwmonitor. If it is undervolting your hardware it can kill stuff rather quickly. I once had a not so glorious "Rosewill" power supply on my old dual core. Worked excellent for about a year and then began undervolting gpu and mobo. Destroyed my old vid card, but luckily was RMA'd by the almighty Evga.

of course if your a bit lazy like me, just try sticking an old graphics card or a friends card in your system and see if the problem persists. Just dont tell em there is possibility your computer will kill their card. trololol. GL

you said your into overclocking? Sure you reset all your settings to stock? Tons of hardware stressing tools out there such as OCCT. Thou I wouldnt suggest stressing 2 much if u suspect a bad psu

dorkydude666

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I've never used hwmonitor before and I'm pretty confused what I'm looking at here. My CPU is using 1.38V and my video card is using 0.90V which both sound alright I think. I'll try using my 4850 1GB for awhile and see if the problem persists. I'm starting to feel like my video card isn't configured right or is possibly damaged.

I didn't change too much stuff when I was overclocking. I ran my FSB at 233 to try to use 1866MHz memory at full speed while keeping my CPU at 3.4GHz, but it already wasn't running stable and I changed it back. I had a little more luck when I set it down to 220 and put NB and HT at 2100, but I didn't feel comfortable keeping those settings because I'm so inexperienced. Everything is running on its default Auto setting right now and my computer hasn't crashed in quite a few days.

Now let's see how my computer runs on the 4850 video card.

dorkydude666

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I used my older video card today and my computer froze just like before. I'm glad my video card isn't messed up, but now I'm looking at getting either a new PSU or something a bit more expensive. I'll go ahead and look at getting a good quality PSU, but how much power do I really need to run this system? Even if I overclock it a bit I figured 650W would be enough. Of course, it's likely the quality of the PSU that would be the problem I imagine. Do you think I should get something bigger or stick around this range?

dorkydude666

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Looking around online brought up a few reviews of HEC PSUs with very low scores and will definitely be replacing it ASAP. I really hope my PSU is the problem here.

I'm really surprised by how much information is presented at a basic level for newbie computer engineers. Tom's forum alone had so many great links to learn more about PSUs that I feel so much more confident in making a decision to fit my budget and computer.

The Antec NEO ECO you posted would be a great bargain PSU from a good company. I may choose to go with a Seasonic model if I can find one for a moderate price. I have gone through so many bad PSUs to save a few bucks, it's about time I splurge and look for a top quality PSU that I won't be replacing in 6 months.

dorkydude666

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
My power supply came in last week and it's working great in my system. However, the sound coming from my computer still remains. My computer has not frozen since the replacement, but I feel it may just be a coincidence. I have certainly had fewer crashes in the past week, but I can't explain why that would be.

So I've narrowed the problem down a bit. It's not the power supply, video card, OR my memory which leaves my CPU and motherboard right? This feels hopeless. :(

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I suggest you find out what the clicking noise is about. Your probably right in that one of your fans is boned. Very easy to just open the case up and see whats up.

As far as I know fans are really the only moving part on a computer so it pretty much has to be that. Or one of those super old floppy disk drives that makes lots o ticks and clicks.

The easiest thing to do as I said before is just check your hardware temps and change out parts to find the culprit. It sounds like you have done a bit of swapping out already so yes maybe it is your mobo or cpu....or your last thermal paste application didnt go so smoothly.

keep in mind that even though you replaced your psu, it still may have done damage to one of your parts.

describe to us more accurately what happens at the crashing? BSOD?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS