Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

On-board memory! professional help needed!

Last response: in Memory
Share
January 21, 2013 1:43:12 PM

on-board memory! professional help needed!
Hey, I had some questions..Please help!
I have two memory slots in my motherboard.
Im using Motherboard D102GGC2 (Intel)

I have a 512 MB RAM ( which is video shared) and hence 64 MB is taken by the VRAM( for graphic utility) ATI Radeon XPress Series 200 installed.
Other memory slot has 1 GB RAM.
Im using EVM 1 GB DDR2 667 Mhz RAM

Now i want to upgrade my 512 MB RAM to 1 GB RAM using the similar RAM installed already. But if i change the 512 MB RAM with 1 GB ram, monitor display is off (as 64 MB graphics is not getting loaded.)
How to remove that 64 MB graphics?
Please answer this:
1)if i uninstall the chipset software(i think it holds the 64 MB ) will it affect by booting? how do i do this?
Please help i dont want the 1 GB RAM to go waste
a b } Memory
January 21, 2013 1:45:30 PM

does it work with just the new 1GB ram? You can't disable it unless you have a graphic card.
it could be that the new 1GB doesn't work with the old 1GB.
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 1:49:06 PM

Please let us know the model number of the board and/or computer so we can give more complete information.

Off the top of my head I wouldn't recommend running two different size memory sticks as this can cause problems with some integrated setups. Also (depending on the BIOS) the amount of RAM being allocated to the graphics subsystem will vary and can be controlled in either the BIOS or in the driver. I used to have a laptop that let me vary VRAM from 16MB to 128MB.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 21, 2013 1:49:42 PM

What mobo and RAM are you using?
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 2:11:12 PM

Im using Motherboard D102GGC2 (Intel)
Im using EVM 1 GB DDR2 667 Mhz RAM
P.S. The RAM which is already installed is the same EVM 1 GB DDR2 667 Mhz
I thought I would dual channel run these RAM's but im unable to remove that 512 MB RAM ..
is there anyway Thanks
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 2:14:35 PM

rgd1101 said:
does it work with just the new 1GB ram? You can't disable it unless you have a graphic card.
it could be that the new 1GB doesn't work with the old 1GB.

Nope it doesn't work with only 1 GB RAM , hence i have to put the 512 MB RAM in second slot for the OS to boot...Now i have to buy a graphic card just to install the new RAM? :( 
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 2:19:19 PM

ddpruitt said:
Please let us know the model number of the board and/or computer so we can give more complete information.

Off the top of my head I wouldn't recommend running two different size memory sticks as this can cause problems with some integrated setups. Also (depending on the BIOS) the amount of RAM being allocated to the graphics subsystem will vary and can be controlled in either the BIOS or in the driver. I used to have a laptop that let me vary VRAM from 16MB to 128MB.

Im using Motherboard D102GGC2 (Intel)
Yup i can vary my VRAM from 32 MB to 128 MB ( using BIOS) , but whats the point because i can't put the VRAM To 0 and hence i can never remove my 512 MB RAM only...
m
0
l
a b } Memory
January 21, 2013 3:34:23 PM

TheDarkShadow said:
Nope it doesn't work with only 1 GB RAM , hence i have to put the 512 MB RAM in second slot for the OS to boot...Now i have to buy a graphic card just to install the new RAM? :( 


so it doesn't work with just the new 1GB, does it work with just the old 1GB? did you try both slot?
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 4:16:45 PM

From what you've given it sounds like this is in a laptop. The only way to completely eliminate the use of RAM for the graphics subsystem is to turn it off (Regardless of what it's doing it always needs RAM to hold the screen contents plus a few other things). You don't have the option to disable the graphics subsystem so the best you can do is reduce the VRAM usage to a minimum, keep in mind that if you are doing any sort of graphics intensive tasks this may result in a performance penalty.

MBs of this era are notoriously finicky when it comes to RAM, that's why your system only boots when the 512 MB stick is installed, your system doesn't recognize the 1 GB stick. That's why your system wasn't booting. In fact I'd be willing to bet that your system still only shows 512 MB installed, even with the 1 GB stick in there. Unfortunately the only way to fix this is to find RAM built specifically for this system, an expensive proposition at best.

Sadly the only options you have are bad ones.
m
0
l
!