visual styles

i know that there are third party programs that allow you to use visual
styles other than the three that come with xp. i was wondering if there was a
way to do that manually without having to install a third party program
10 answers Last reply
More about visual styles

    Yes, you would need to use a hex editor to make a change to the file
    uxtheme.dll, but it's a bit complicated. There are actually free utilties
    that will patch this file for you. There is no need to purchase the Style XP
    program. Check the forums at the two sites below and you should be able to
    come up with at least one. Remember Microsoft does not support this so it's
    at your own risk. :)

    http://www.neowin.net
    http://www.msfn.org

    "Thane of Lochaber" <NONE> wrote in message
    > Remember Microsoft does not support this so it's at your own risk. :)

    Well it's MS's own fault for denying people the ability to use non-MS
    skins in the first place. It was either very shortsighted or very selfish
    of them to do it that way.

    --
    Alec S.
    alec <@> synetech <.> cjb <.> net

    Well, I believe the reason was because they didn't want people installing
    poorly written themes and having problems, plus they wanted to keep the
    interface consistent to make troubleshooting easier for them.

    "Alec S." <a@a.com> wrote in message
    > "Thane of Lochaber" <NONE> wrote in message
    >> Remember Microsoft does not support this so it's at your own risk. :)
    >

    > Well it's MS's own fault for denying people the ability to use non-MS
    > skins in the first place. It was either very shortsighted or very selfish
    > of them to do it that way.
    >

    > --
    > Alec S.
    > alec <@> synetech <.> cjb <.> net

    I can understand having the interface consistent to simplify guiding
    newbies—"click the little button in the upper-right corner with the X on
    it..."—but as for poorly written themes, that's a bad excuse. They let
    people install poorly written software which is much more dangerous.
    Imagine the outrage if they started limiting the kind of software you could
    use.

    I also don't understand why StyleXP, WindowBlinds, etc. use the MS
    visual styles to do their thing. Why didn't they just come up with their
    own implementations. Obviously the MS method was good enough to support
    anything people want to do when it comes to visual styles. Microsoft chose
    to add visual styles to Windows, preventing people from using anything but
    MS themes is a poor move and was quickly defeated. Their implementation
    while belated as it was—people were expecting an official version for quite
    some time and had to resort to 3rd party utilities in the meantime—would
    have been lauded and appreciated had MS opened it to everyone. But since
    they didn't, people just saw it as a neat little thing for a few days until
    you get tired of the same 3 styles. That's why Stardock and TGTSoft made an
    easy killing once ThemeUI.dll was cracked. Microsoft really needs good PR
    and allowing 3rd party themes really could have given them a much needed
    boost.

    --
    Alec S.
    alec <@> synetech <.> cjb <.> net

    > Well, I believe the reason was because they didn't want people installing
    > poorly written themes and having problems, plus they wanted to keep the
    > interface consistent to make troubleshooting easier for them.
    >
    > "Alec S." <a@a.com> wrote in message
    > > "Thane of Lochaber" <NONE> wrote in message
    > >> Remember Microsoft does not support this so it's at your own risk. :)
    > >

    > > Well it's MS's own fault for denying people the ability to use non-MS
    > > skins in the first place. It was either very shortsighted or very
    selfish
    > > of them to do it that way.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Alec S.
    > > alec <@> synetech <.> cjb <.> net

    Stardock does have it's own implementation; WindowBlinds does not hack any
    files or even use uxtheme.dll as it has it's own engine, and has since long
    before XP even existed. The themes for it are not compatible with msstyles
    and it works not only in XP but with other versions as well, and is a
    Microsoft certified product so they do fully approve of it. :-)

    > I can understand having the interface consistent to simplify guiding
    > newbies-"click the little button in the upper-right corner with the X on
    > it..."-but as for poorly written themes, that's a bad excuse. They let
    > people install poorly written software which is much more dangerous.
    > Imagine the outrage if they started limiting the kind of software you
    > could
    > use.
    >

    > I also don't understand why StyleXP, WindowBlinds, etc. use the MS
    > visual styles to do their thing. Why didn't they just come up with their
    > own implementations. Obviously the MS method was good enough to support
    > anything people want to do when it comes to visual styles. Microsoft
    > chose
    > to add visual styles to Windows, preventing people from using anything but
    > MS themes is a poor move and was quickly defeated. Their implementation
    > while belated as it was-people were expecting an official version for
    > quite
    > some time and had to resort to 3rd party utilities in the meantime-would
    > have been lauded and appreciated had MS opened it to everyone. But since
    > they didn't, people just saw it as a neat little thing for a few days
    > until
    > you get tired of the same 3 styles. That's why Stardock and TGTSoft made
    > an
    > easy killing once ThemeUI.dll was cracked. Microsoft really needs good PR
    > and allowing 3rd party themes really could have given them a much needed
    > boost.
    >

    > --
    > Alec S.
    > alec <@> synetech <.> cjb <.> net
    >

    > "Thane of Lochaber" <NONE> wrote in message
    >> Well, I believe the reason was because they didn't want people installing
    >> poorly written themes and having problems, plus they wanted to keep the
    >> interface consistent to make troubleshooting easier for them.
    >>
    >> "Alec S." <a@a.com> wrote in message
    >> > "Thane of Lochaber" <NONE> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> > Well it's MS's own fault for denying people the ability to use
    >> > non-MS
    >> > skins in the first place. It was either very shortsighted or very
    > selfish
    >> > of them to do it that way.
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > Alec S.
    >> > alec <@> synetech <.> cjb <.> net

    There is also the point that Microsoft possibly does not want to be seen to
    be stepping on even more toes. Stardock and WindowsBlinds might have
    struggled to remain viable, had Microsoft made another product free, which
    was had previously been sold. They probably would have done had it had the
    possibility to increase their monopoly, à la Internet Explorer vs. Netscape
    Navigator.

    Stardock worked with MS to create the 3 available XP style color schemes. Stardock also has more products than WindowBlinds. Check out www.wincustomize.com and www.stardock.com.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:33:40 -0500, » mrtee « <hingelicker$@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Stardock worked with MS to create the 3 available XP style color schemes. Stardock also has more products than WindowBlinds. Check out www.wincustomize.com and www.stardock.com.

    I didn't know that. Far out! now I can blame Stardock for that ugly
    green Start button.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Keep the thread intact
    Post reply to original newsgroup

    Get WindowBlinds and change it!

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Donald McDaniel" <orthocrossNOSPAM@cablespeedDOTcom.invalid> wrote in message news:qveqi090fvhmptpcaggin5hg9inpfs987c@4ax.com...

    | I didn't know that. Far out! now I can blame Stardock for that ugly
    | green Start button.
    |
    | Donald L McDaniel
    | Keep the thread intact
    | Post reply to original newsgroup
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 06:07:57 GMT, » mrtee « <hingelicker$@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Get WindowBlinds and change it!
    I already have the latest version.