tk54

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
When i start my computer, i receive the error message "NTLDR is missing. Press ctrl + alt + del to restart."

When i Press ctrl + alt + del to restart." it goes back again to display the error message. i have tried to boot from hard drive and to boot by windows xp but experience the same problem.

someone help me out there

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

have you got a windows installation cd?

if you have turn pc on and open drive straight away and put disk in.

then turn it off and keep tapping "Del" or the delete key on keyboard (after you press the power button)

this should open the bios on most pc's

you need to find the boot order in one of the settins using the arrow keys on keyboard

use the enter key to select and the esc to to up a level

(look at the screen carefully it will say what key to press to save and exit)

you want to rearange the boot order so that the dvd drive is above hdd

now after you have saved and exited it. it should boot of the cd, select repair install

this should fix your problem

if you dont understand my very badly written isntructions ask someone in the know to do it or take it to someone/ a shop

here is a quick guide on youtube on how to access bios http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQway7bb3LY

you dont need to do it as aggressively as he does it though in the video. its just an example

tk54 the reason you are getting an error is that there is a problem with your HDD.

The method that shanky described above will force it to boot from the DVD/CD-rom

You have to act quickly when you turn the machine on and press del until you get into 'bios' or if that does work try restarting and pressing F2.

joemama069

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
tk54.. as soon as you press that power button, start pressing keys.. try delete key, f1, f2 and f12 key. eventually you will find the one that will take you into the bios, then you will need to find boot options and change the priority of the cd rom to the first boot device.. once you do that, when you insert the windows xp installation disc, you will be prompted to "press any key to boot from cd" do that and then let it load all of its garbage. once that is done you will have options to press enter to continue or press "r" to enter repair

often the easiest to miss. ntldr missing can be caused by a loose lead on the hdd or a bios entry has been changed. the 1 for the boot device or drive order.

so check the drive settings and make sure the right 1 is set to primary boot device and that drive is first in the list.

benny123

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012