Power supply for GTX580

UEFEndeavour

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Okay, let me start off by saying that I know very little about computer hardware. I'm mostly a gamer and I'm planning on upgrading to a GTX 580 card in the coming months and I want to ensure my PC can handle it. I have an Alienware Aurora PC and it came with Crossfired ATI HD 5670s which is okay, but it isn't nearly as good as I'd like to have, so I'm looking to upgrade... that and I'm just partial to Nvidia, not that ATI is bad or anything, I've just had more Nvidia cards in the past than ATI so I know them a little better.

Anyway, I have Alienware's standard 875 watt PSU with an Intel Core i7 920 QC (2.66GHz, 8MB Cache), 500GB - SATA-II 3Gb/s 7200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD, and 6GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3.

What I'm really wanting to know is with the above setup, will I be able to uninstall the 5670s and pop in the GTX 580 without upgrading anything else? Thanks very much for any answers!

A GTX580 needs 600w with 42a on the 12v rails plus one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI-E power lead.
You should be good there.

To change from ati to Nvidia, you should remove the old card, and uninstall the ati drivers and software.

You might want to also run a driver clean up program to insure that everything is gone.
The guru3d one I have used in the past is no longer supported, so you should look for a different one.
It may actually not be necessary anyway.

Install your GTX580, and it will start in basic mode( low resolution 620 x320?) with no drivers.
Go to the Nvidia web site to download the appropriate driver and install it.
It might be better to download and save the install file before you remove the old card.
It is sometimes difficult to navigate the web in basic mode.

UEFEndeavour

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Thanks alot for the responses and input, guys. Good to know I shouldn't have to buy anything other than the card. Thanks for the driver cleaner suggestion as well, I hadn't thought about doing that.

Cheers!