Toshiba satellite c655 gets no power

clemgraph

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Hello,
I have a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5068 laptop that started not charging the battery. Now, all of a sudden, the laptop will not get any power at all.
When I plug it in I get no lights at all. I had my power adapter checked with a multimeter and it checks out fine. I then replaced the DC jack figuring that was the culprit. Nope. Removed the main battery and tried to run with just the AC adapter plugged in, again nothing. Tried the "reset" trick with holding down the power button as well, to no avail. At this point I am fearing it is the motherboard, but had a few questions before spending the cash without being totally sure:
1) Is this a bypass laptop that should be able power up (or at least show power lights) without the battery attached?
2) If it is not a bypass laptop, could it be that the main battery is so dead that it will not allow the unit to power up?
3) Could a dead CMOS battery on the motherboard cause this?
Any other ideas? I appreciate the help!

cl-scott

Honorable
I worked as a repair tech for a few years, and never once came across a unit that couldn't boot from AC power alone. So, I suppose this might have been the case once upon a time, but I'm not sure I ever came across anything like that recently.

I'd say a dead CMOS battery is unlikely, but at the same time, it's like $2 or so to get a new one and test. Might be worth a shot. However, I'd say it's almost certainly the motherboard based on what you said, and odds are it won't be cost effective to repair the unit if it's OOW.

Tuffy1961

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

I have the same problem -- how did you make out with the used motherboard & is it easy to replace?

clemgraph

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

Purchased a used motherboard on ebay for about $80, popped it in and ALL IS GOOD again! Much cheaper than a new laptop for sure.

I had to swap the wifi card, CPU (don't forget to clean it with rubbing alcohol and re-apply new thermal paste) and heatsink from the old board to the newly purchased one but it was no problem.

There are a lot of screws and small parts/connections to contend with, but just take your time and you should have no problems. If you have any further questions, I'll be happy to assist you!

clemgraph

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

Purchased a used motherboard on ebay for about $80, popped it in and ALL IS GOOD again! Much cheaper than a new laptop for sure.

I had to swap the wifi card, CPU (don't forget to clean it with rubbing alcohol and re-apply new thermal paste) and heatsink from the old board to the newly purchased one but it was no problem.

There are a lot of screws and small parts/connections to contend with, but just take your time and you should have no problems. If you have any further questions, I'll be happy to assist you!

subs

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
My friend gave me his toshiba satellite a505 to see if I could repair it. Apparently his daughter tripped over the cord and messed up the power jack. He said it slowly died (battery eventually stopped charging then just running off AC and no battery then wouldn't turn on one day). I tested his power jack with a multimeter and it was reading about 4.5 so I replaced it. Now it's reading 19.3 at the motherboard. I still couldn't get anything to happen so I ordered a used but functioning motherboard from ebay with the processor and wifi card still attached. I installed the motherboard but I still have NO LIGHTS, no sign of life. I tried the power cycle, etc. battery in, battery out. held down power switch, etc. I cannot understand how it won't turn on. Anyway, I ordered a power switch so I am hoping that is what it is but I'm not too optimistic. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks

subs

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
Update: I installed the replacement power switch and it is still completely dead. It is really discouraging and I don't understand how it fails to turn on unless it needs a battery with a charge in it. I'm beginning to believe that. I replaced everything from the power jack to the power switch. What could I be missing. Any suggestions no matter how absurd will be tried lol

Precglide

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014
You may want to replace the screen cable that is attached to the motherboard. I am having the same problem but I was able to isolate it by wiggling the cables. My lights came back on when I got to the screen cable. I think I verified that this can happen by unplugging the screen cable & got no lights, then plugging it back in and lights are back. It's a $10 cable, worth a shot.