I am looking to upgrade my current home PC.
MY Current PC is 8 years OLD ( 2.4Ghz p4) and I presume only re-usable components are graphics card ( geforce 210 ) and 1TB HDD ( not 3 Gbps though ) .
My primary OS will be windows 7 and Ubuntu for some development tasks.
My use case include following .
1. Daily net browsing . ( tend to keep number of browser tabs open )
2. Connect to office VPN and work on remote desktop.
3. Occasional kernel / application compilations
4. torrent downloading seeding ( may run overnight )
5. FullHD youtube video play. ( main reason for upgrade )
6. Full HD video Play. 7. I may not play any kind of game ( max I play is angry birds )
After searching a bit I thought of selecting following components.
1. Motherboard gigabyte 78LMTUSB3
2. CPU FX4100
3. a Cheap 4GB dual channel RAM with low CAS
I am looking for a VFM combination . Kindly let know your thoughts . I am open to chose an intel combination if it is worth and VFM. I am looking for a combination which can run 6-8 years without any major upgrades ( I am not a gadget freak ) .
buy these instead:
Intel Core i3-2130 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor
ASRock H77M Intel H77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard
Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
the intel is an apu, which gives you advantage in performance/price. it performs 10-20% better than the amd but it is the same price (ish).
kingston has best price/performance in lower grade rams, g.skill is mostly for elite systems... gl