Sign in with
Your question

mix and match ram question

Last response: in Motherboards
January 21, 2013 6:55:35 PM

I have 4 ram slots. I want to know if i can run 2-2 gigs at 800mhz with 2-1gig also at 800mhz . If so where in the 4 slots do the 2 gigs have to be and where do the 1 gigs have to be?

More about : mix match ram question

a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2013 8:26:57 PM

If you are going to mix and match RAM (which still isn't recommended though it's more of an old standard) you should pair the memory by size in each channel or at least that's how I did it when working on someones system. Pair the 2GB sticks in slots 1 & 3, and 1GB sticks in slots 2 & 4. Slot 1 being closest to the CPU.

Hopefully that helps!
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2013 8:34:03 PM

yes it will work fine. It doesn't matter what slot you use as it will show up as 6 gigs
Related resources
January 21, 2013 9:24:18 PM

ZeroWhite said:
If you are going to mix and match RAM (which still isn't recommended though it's more of an old standard) you should pair the memory by size in each channel or at least that's how I did it when working on someones system. Pair the 2GB sticks in slots 1 & 3, and 1GB sticks in slots 2 & 4. Slot 1 being closest to the CPU.

Hopefully that helps!

that's seems to have done the trick - it is showing up as 6 gigs. I intend to grab another 2 sticks shortly to bring it up to 8. Will I see a benefit from 4 to 6?
a b V Motherboard
January 22, 2013 3:30:02 AM

Glad to see you haven't had any issues! and it really depends on what your using it for. If your into moderate gaming (more modern games) having an additional 2GB can be very useful because that's 2GB less virtual ram windows has to utilize if you start to max out your 6GB, now for light gaming and every days tasks I would say 6GB it's perfectly fine because you really won't end up using that amount of ram.
!