How's mlb for the psp ?

I might pick this up tomorrow since i have a gift card I want to use.
Is it worth picking up. Id like to play online to so also would like to know
if theres people playing this online. Or should I wait for mvp ?
I think I read somewhere that mvp wont be able to be played online
though.
8 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    I give it a 7 out of 10.

    "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >I give it a 7 out of 10.

    As a psp sports game, it is the best (most realistic) out of the bunch. I
    give it an 8.5 out of 10. The only thing it is missing is franchise mode.
    Everything else is dead on and I have come to prefer it over my Xbox MVP
    2005.

    "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

    > "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > >I give it a 7 out of 10.
    > >

    > As a psp sports game, it is the best (most realistic) out of the bunch. I
    > give it an 8.5 out of 10. The only thing it is missing is franchise mode.
    > Everything else is dead on and I have come to prefer it over my Xbox MVP
    > 2005.

    I'd give it an 8 out of 10. My only complaints are: no home run derby
    mode, irritating "metal" music during the menu screens, no "instant replays"
    of tough catches or close tags, and CPU defense which is a little too tough.
    But otherwise it is surprising how well the game plays on the PSP--I
    expected that it would be hard to see the ball on a tiny screen. The
    framerate is good, the animation is good, and the play-by-play is right on
    (unlike the "color commentary" which is generally useless). Perhaps I just
    need to get used to it, but the CPU makes some plays which I'm not fast
    enough to make. The CPU also runs the bases nearly flawlessly...as opposed
    to my sometimes clumsy attempts to send the runners.

    > lonesw0rdsman" <ga@lone.com> wrote in message
    > >>I might pick this up tomorrow since i have a gift card I want to use.
    > >> Is it worth picking up. Id like to play online to so also would like to
    > >> know if theres people playing this online. Or should I wait for mvp ?
    > >> I think I read somewhere that mvp wont be able to be played online
    > >> though.

    "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

    > "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > >I give it a 7 out of 10.
    > >

    > As a psp sports game, it is the best (most realistic) out of the bunch. I
    > give it an 8.5 out of 10. The only thing it is missing is franchise mode.
    > Everything else is dead on and I have come to prefer it over my Xbox MVP
    > 2005.

    Sounds like its worth checking out. How's the framerate during gameplay?

    Skye

    "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I give it a 7 out of 10.
    >> >

    >> As a psp sports game, it is the best (most realistic) out of the bunch.
    >> give it an 8.5 out of 10. The only thing it is missing is franchise
    >> mode.
    >> Everything else is dead on and I have come to prefer it over my Xbox MVP
    >> 2005.
    >
    > Sounds like its worth checking out. How's the framerate during gameplay?
    >
    > Skye

    It depends on what camera angle you are playing with but at default it is
    solid with no slowdown so far. I play with the default camera and at times
    I find it to be a bit too fast. The CPU makes plays that I sure as hell
    don't have the reaction time to make due to the pace of the game. The
    errors, wild pitches and dropped 3rd strikes seem to be perfectly
    implemented. I would definitely recommend this game for true baseball fans.
    I haven't tried online but I have gone to the lobby to look around.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

    > "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >>I give it a 7 out of 10.
    >>

    > As a psp sports game, it is the best (most realistic) out of the bunch. I
    > give it an 8.5 out of 10. The only thing it is missing is franchise mode.
    > Everything else is dead on and I have come to prefer it over my Xbox MVP
    > 2005.

    Cool. I guess ill go ahead and pick this up.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

    > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I give it a 7 out of 10.
    >> >

    >> As a psp sports game, it is the best (most realistic) out of the bunch.
    >> give it an 8.5 out of 10. The only thing it is missing is franchise
    >> mode.
    >> Everything else is dead on and I have come to prefer it over my Xbox MVP
    >> 2005.
    >
    > I'd give it an 8 out of 10. My only complaints are: no home run derby
    > mode, irritating "metal" music during the menu screens, no "instant
    > replays"
    > of tough catches or close tags, and CPU defense which is a little too
    > tough.
    > But otherwise it is surprising how well the game plays on the PSP--I
    > expected that it would be hard to see the ball on a tiny screen. The
    > framerate is good, the animation is good, and the play-by-play is right on
    > (unlike the "color commentary" which is generally useless). Perhaps I just
    > need to get used to it, but the CPU makes some plays which I'm not fast
    > enough to make. The CPU also runs the bases nearly flawlessly...as
    > opposed
    > to my sometimes clumsy attempts to send the runners.

    Yeah, I thought it would be a bit slower on a handheld but this game is
    lightning fast in terms of fielding. The thing I love most about the
    fielding is that diving does not always equate to a catch when the ball hits
    the glove. Sometimes the ball glances off of the glove and it is correctly
    scored a hit rather than an error. The baserunning interface is intuitive,
    I just haven't mastered it. I love how you can send your guy for a double
    or triple right off the bat on a ball to the gap or send your guy to score
    from second immediately on a hit. To offset the computer's ridiculous
    defense, I would recommend toning down the throwing power and accuracy so
    that they don't just gun you after making those great stops.

    I don't have any homeruns though with the Nationals and that is kind of
    discouraging. I don't want to bump up the power numbers.

    >> lonesw0rdsman" <ga@lone.com> wrote in message

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    There is a pretty good review of MLB PSP over at Gamespy, FWIW. It does
    address some of the control learning curve.

    http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-portable/989-sports-mlb-20xx/606874p1.html

Console Gaming PlayStation Video Games