Internet connection drops frequently shaw

maximilious

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
Hello,

I have a problem that I think its time to get fixed. I live in BC Canada, we are using SHAW TV + internet. We have the 25m/s download one.

I have 2 routers both Dlink. The latest one I am using is the Extreme Gaming DGL-4500 router.

My problem:

Everyone 4-5 hours (thought sometimes its complete randomness) our internet sucks. What do I mean? I am browsing the web, then BOOM "it appears you are not connected to the internet" or sometimes it loads but VERY slow! We have 3 computers connected wired and sometimes my sister uses her laptop. The strange thing about this is that we can still use VOIP, and play games.

The way I fix this "slow web browsing or not even loading" problem is by unplugging modem + router, blowing air into the router and modem connection then turn it on.

Then same problem occurs later on.

I would REALLY appreciate if someone could tell me whats going on.

Also, I have tested both routers and with both occur the same "dropping" on browser.

tkrl26

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
The gaming routers you have produce a huge amount of heat, make sure its in a well ventilated area. I use to use one as well, sweet routers, but you need to make sure they don't over heat.

I would make sure the router is in a well ventilated area, and check the firmware on the router and update it if it is out of date.

Give those two a shot update the thread.

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
you're getting an intermittent connection, or interrupted connection, you should try to by pass the routers for a few hours and see if the issue continues. if it does, contact your ISP and have them run a diagnostic on your modem or make a service call to have them check it out personally.