Bought two of the same 560ti, but they are very different....

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
So I ordered two of this GPU from newegg a few days ago to run SLI in: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121425

So I get them today and put one in at a time to make sure they are both good separately before I try to SLI them. Now, when i plug them in and run Unigine Heaven, they both work at their factory overclocked speeds, however.. When i tried them both seperately with MSI afterburner to see how well each individually overclocked, I noticed that one card runs at 1.00 Voltage at the 900 mhz overclock. The other card, however, runs at 1.05 volts at the same overclock. I figure it could be a glitch, so I turn down the voltage to 1.00, but then the card is unstable and won't complete a full benchmark of Unigine. The weird thing is that when i press the reset button, the card defaults to 1.05 volts and not 1.00 like the other. What is up with this?

Now.. I understand that some chips overclock better than others, but did I just get unlucky here? Anyone know what the max safe voltage is for the Asus 560ti?

Thanks so much for your imput guys!

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
well there is no first or secondary card right now. I haven't set up SLI yet, because I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Card A runs 900 mhz @ 1.00 volts.
Card B runs 900 mhz @ 1.05 volts.

That is their factory settings too, its what they default to when I press Reset in MSI Afterburner. The thing that sucks is that Card B is unstable running 900mhz @ 1.00 volts. I know 1.05 isn't necessarily dangerous, but I would hate to have to run at that speed all the time compared to the other card.

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Im pretty sure that mousemonky was asking if they where both in the computer..
with the 1.05 volts card under the 1.00 volts card
Thus making the 1.05v card the secound card.

If the 1.05v card is under the 1.00 card there might be heat issues.. sucking in heat from the top card.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Oh.. well at this point, I was able to get Card B running stable at 1.037 volts at 900 mhz, so that should reduce some heat. I understand, though, that the card with the higher voltage should be on top because of heat issues.. surprisingly it is running about the same temp as the other one but still.

I have an Asrock P67 Gen 3 board in a Corsair 600t case. I have plenty of room so heat shouldn't be an issue.

^ what is card binning?

--edit--

Nevermind, quick look up shows what card binning is. Well.. I just don't see how one card can default to 1.05 and the other to 1.00 unless they had different bios settings.. which is weird in itself.

notsmart

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

might not be the right term but; the general idea is this:

From my understanding, cards cannot be made to be exactly the same because its not possible to mass produce electronic parts and expect them to have the same potentials. Hence birth of warranties. Electronic parts are bound to have small deviations, and in your case a minor .05 voltage difference. In card binning, cards with a big deviations are "binned" to a lower state and used for other models. IE, Factory makes a 570 card, but the potential is not strong enough, so they bin it with the 565 cards.

I doubt that .05 voltage should worry you; try testing it or benching it with a heat detector such as furmark or w.e u use to see if their is a temperature difference. If it does, then call newegg

Indeed I was, my secondary card/slot runs @1.02v and the primary runs @1.00v @full load regardless of which card is in which slot.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Oh I wasn't aware of that Mousemonkey.. However, I found the difference in voltages between the two cards when I was testing the seperately, only one card in the system at a time.

My CPU is a 2500k clocked @ 4.6ghz.
I am running on the SLI right now.. waiting for Nvidia drivers to download, though its taking a very long time.

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

I'm assuming that the only .05v difference isn't going to hurt your stock speeds...
Like mouse monkey said, his cards run at different volts too. (regardless of configuration)

Mabyy Nvidia pushed the voltage to make there cards stable.
It was my understanding that the 560 ti is a 560 with a defective chip, with the defective parts locked out and sold for less money.

It must be hit or miss to get a 560 that was good and was sold as a 560 ti. (probably more of a miss then a hit)

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

You might want to start a new thread about that... :)

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Asrock p67 Gen 3 board.. I figured out the problem though, everything is working nicely so far. Still sucks that one card has to run at 1.037 and the other at 1.00 for the same 900 mhz speed on each.

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

Thats great :) On the bright side the one card isn't running 1.05v :sarcastic: