noclue771

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Hi I'm looking to run XP Pro on a new i5 PC and down grade Windows 7 so I dont have to pay thousands to renew software that is not compatible with Windows 7.

Is this possible?

Also, can I take the XP license Key from the old PCs and use this same Key to install this on the new i5 PCs?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Chris

It is very possible and WinXP works well on Sandy Bridge systems.
-> Just be sure the new hardware has WinXP drivers.

If the XP License Key is the OEM variety - it's not transferable.
If it's the retail version of WinXP - yes it can be transferred.

noclue771

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Thanks for your message this will save me a lot of money!!

I mean the product Key on the Microsoft sticker thats on the side/top of our Dell PCs. How do I know if this is OEM?

Its the license thats came installed when we purchased them back in 2005.

I guess by retail version you mean XP purchased on its own as opposed to pre-installed version?

Thanks again

If it arrived with your Dell it's OEM (OEM=Dell).
Windows OEM licensing is tied to the system it's installed on and is not transferable to another system. It's part of the ' lower price' you pay for getting it from an OEM like Dell.

ngoy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Windows 7 Pro has an XP mode, which allows most software to run in an emulated XP environment. I have not used it but once or twice though. Without knowing what software you have that is incompatible, it is hard to tell if it would work or not. If you have already attempted to get it to work, then I guess you don't have much of a choice.

If your new pc's are from dell, you can downgrade to xp "legally" if the os you purchased was pro or ultimate. The XP OEM disks that came with your old Dell system will most likely work in your new Dell system (if that is what you have) but may be missing drivers, complicating the install process a little. If your new pc's are not dells, then you cannot "legally" install the xp from the old dell systems onto them.

Previous Dell OEM XP cd's did not require you to put in the product key, it is only used for unique tracking between Dell and Microsoft. I guess you will find out when you put the CD in. OEM install disks are typically tied to the manufacturer's BIOS information, so if it can't find DELL in the bios somewhere, it will not install.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx

As WR2 pointed out, Dell = OEM version and is Non-transferable with ONE possible exception. The Dell Died, that is the MB is beyound economical repair, You have a good chance of reusing the Key. may have to (1) Do NOT inset key during installation, Insert Key after installation and (2) may have to Call MS and explain that the origninal MB is DEAD.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
get win7 pro or pay £40 for a new copy of windows xp (link at bottom on post)

then you can use the xp mode.

it does work ive used it before.

and then there is the compatability mode built into windows 7 that will make most xp programs work on windows 7

there are few programs which dont work but they are very few.

or if you can run windows xp mode if that doesnt work but its slower

you can buy a new copy of windows xp sp3 pro for £40 on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WINDOWS-XP-Pro-software-intended/dp/B0018RCAD4/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1331912695&sr=1-1

XP mode isn't a perfect solution for getting older software to run.

Personally, I use a dual boot setup that lets me choose between Windows 7 or Windows XP. (and maybe another OS or two).
That gives me a 'real' WinXP/32bit setup that can run all those scraggly old programs.