Sign in with
Your question

Building my own PC!

Last response: in Systems
December 11, 2011 1:06:33 PM

Hello, I'm very enthusiastic about building my own PC (I'm not sure if I'm on the correct forum category and sub-category), I think it's going to be a somewhat an interesting adventure. My knowledge of such things is very limited but I did my research, tried to understand everything I can and finally I came up with this configuration, I thought I should ask the professionals before I buy anything :D 

(Everything is Hyperlinked to Newegg)

- Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

- Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W

- Motherboard: ASUS M5A88-V EVO

- Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition Deneb 3.6GHz

- CPU Cooling: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

- RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)

- Video Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (Note: Choosing a graphics card was a very confusing process they're so many and they're all alike more or less, I think...)

- Optical Drive: LG Black

- SSD: (I'll be using it to install my OS and applications only since I heard it's A LOT faster than HDDs) SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC064D

- HDD: (Will be used to store, games, music, movies, TV shows, etc...) HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 3TB

So I was wondering if I'm going to face compatibility issues with those hardware and if there are better alternatives at the same or cheaper price level would be just perfect!

Additional Notes, I'll be using this computer as my own personal entertainment system attached to a nice HD TV, and the amazing Lay-Z Boy chair, I want to watch HD Movies and play games at their highest settings (Skyrim, AC: Revelations, Deus Ex, etc...) plus I want it to live with me for the next 3 years or so with minimum upgrades.

I'll also be using Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit and Plex Media Server as my Media Player

Thank You for your Time!!

More about : building

December 11, 2011 1:24:42 PM

Hi! For future ref, the correct area is Forums -> Homebuilt Systems. :)  I'm sure a friendly mod will move this if necessary.

You've got a nice build there. You've not given any details on your budget, so it makes it difficult to recommend alternatives. Three points:

1) The CPU you've chosen is quite old. The Intel Sandybridge CPUs are newer, and the i5-2500K tends to be the de-facto choice for a gaming system. It will up the price, but it offers better performance. You'll need to find a compatible motherboard...someone mentioned SLI, so if you want to do this at some point then make sure the mobo supports it.

2) The GTX 560Ti is a great card, but there's a limited edition out right now with 448 cores. Might be worth a look. Only issue is that if you want to SLI them, you'll likely need to get both now.

3) If you want to use this for watching movies, you may want to do some research into noise (if that bothers you). My gaming rig is audible over movies, which would get annoying after a while. My HTPC, on the other hand, is built specifically and is virtually silent.

Have fun with the build! :) 
m
l
Related resources
December 11, 2011 2:13:10 PM

You might consider paying attention to silent parts, especially since you want to use it for your "own personal entertainment system attached to a nice HD TV".

So...
I would get an Enermax power supply 82+ Pro or Modu. They are the same, except for Modu having cable management. They are stable and really quiet.

A good case would be the Fractal Design R3, it offers really nice cable management, capable of building a silent system and provides good airflow. It also comes with a fan control (for 3 fans)

Also if you don't want to upgrade and if you want to live with it through the next 3 years, I'd say go with an Intel i5 instead of an AMD CPU.

I'd go with a low noise 5400 RPM HDD with a large capacity for your videos/music and stuff and a another ~1TB HDD for games. That way the "entertainment" HDD can be accessed during gaming without affecting the gaming. :) 

Throw in some quiet case fans with good airflow (e.g. COOLER MASTER R4 both 120mm and 140mm) together with a fan control.
m
l
December 11, 2011 2:36:24 PM

- Rolli59: I think I'll be using the suggested Intel i5 so I'll be looking for a more compatible motherboard.

- diellur: Great suggestions only costs a manageable $100 more!

- WhatsThatNoise: I really have to thank you for suggesting that case, it's EXACTLY the one I wanted, well worth the extra money I guess, separating games and media into two Hard Drives looks like a great option I hope I have enough money to spare or not didn't check the prices yet :kaola:  . I just couldn't find that Modu Power Supply, I was literally lost searching for the one you mentioned on Newegg.com so a link would be quite helpful

About the Budget I think it's something between $1,200-$1,500 that is including a monitor/TV
m
l
December 11, 2011 3:09:58 PM

I forgot to mention something else regarding SLI. Make sure to do some research on it, there's an issue known as micro-stuttering that you may or may not be familiar with. Also, general advice tends to be get the best single GPU you can afford and add the second one at a later date. In the long-run, your system will be better for it. The exception to that right now is the 448 core GTX 560Ti due to it's expected short period of availability. However 2x 448 core GTX 560 Tis are likely going to cost more than 1 GTX 580, for instance...food for thought.
m
l
December 11, 2011 3:52:37 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
December 11, 2011 5:06:23 PM

Well Thanks Rolli59 for that motherboard, fit's my needs and diellur I'm going to look into that SLI micro-stuttering thing seems quite complicated but we'll see. Thanks Everyone! Any additional help or suggestions would be very much appreciated! :D 
m
l
December 11, 2011 6:29:24 PM

The Corsaie TX750 V2 and the XFX 850 Core Edition get the exact same jonnyguru performance rating of 9.5 and are the exact same price..... the XFX 850 however is quieter and gives ya an extra 100 watts.

I'd jump to the Muskin Chronos 120 GB .... it has the same performance as the Samsung 128 but is significantly cheaper....64 GB is a bit too small
SSD - $ 184 - Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120 GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-price-ssd,3070...

Given the price of the other components, it would seem that an upgrade to a Sandy Bridge MoBo / CPU is worthwhile....especially since ya MoBo can't do SLI / CF thereby greatly limiting upgrade options.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
+$60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Antec Illusion at $40 is a great price....but with 750-850 watts and twin GFX cards it would be a little light....the 902 V3 is the $90 option ....it also has front USB port

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
December 12, 2011 12:02:41 PM

Corsair and XFX PSUs are essentially the same...you could either do as above, or go for the XFX 750W version and save a few notes.
m
l
!