Wolfgamer

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
MSI K9AG Neo-2 Digital Mainboard AM2 Video, PCIe, 2xDDR2, 4xSATA2, USB 2.0, Glan, FW s/n 006806
AMD Athlon Dual Core AM2 4200+

Western Digital 2500JS SATA2 250GB 7200RPM 8 Mb CACHE S/N 98831

Aopen H600 Black Mid-Tower P4 400w P/S s775 ready

I have been told that if I upgrade my PSU and get a BIOS update, get a new cooler and GPU, upgrade to 4GB and Install Windows 7 64 Bit I should be able to get far better graphics.

My problem is that I have no idea what exactly I need or what would be compatible or where I can really find it. I also have no idea what a BIOS is but have been told that it needs to be done by someone who knows computers. Which I do not.

If anyone can help my out with this information and what parts I need and where I might find the best deals I would be greatly appreciative. I don't really have the funds right now to purchase a new computer but would like to upgrade for now and get another soon , giving this one upgraded to my son so that we could both play together.

Thank for any help. Much appreciated.

I would start with a separate graphics card and a 2x1 gb kit of whatever you have now. For the cpu, here's the cpu support stats: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/K9AG-Neo2.html#?div=CPUSupport. For the ram, if you still have two open slots, pull a stick out and check for the speed and brand and try to match it. Here's a low cost video card that will work with your 400w power supply: http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Multimedia-Radeon-GDDR3-6450PE31G/dp/B00519BEG4/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1323621804&sr=1-2. I do not recommend you flash the bios until you have the funds for a newer cpu. By then, you may decide to change boards. With any bios flash, there's always a small chance of a bad flash which will make your board unusable.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Your system is quite dated, and any new GPU will be bottle-necked by the motherboard as the PCIe x16 slot is not 2.0. An older GPU wouldn't set you back a whole lot and should help with gaming.

That being said, you've not said what games you play or at what resolution. If it's something like WoW, then you should be OK with the above upgrade, although maybe not at full details. If it's a newer game, you may have issues. An idea of budget would help as well...help us help you, and give us some more details to go on. :)

Wolfgamer

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I was hoping to get it upgraded for as good a graphics as I can to play SWTOR. I want to buy a new computer but this will have to do for now. I want to pass it on to my son so when qet the new one eventually we will both be able to play. But this one will need to do for now but I want to try and get the best budget setup I can for it.
I was told elsewhere that I can get a new CPU and do a BIOS update ( no idea what or how) and get 4GB of ram put in.
I would like to put the best CPU and GPU that the motherboard can handle in it. I am only with a 250GB hard drive but I think that should be good for now.
All I plan on doing with it is playing SWTOR, watching Youtube vids and emailing.
I also know that I will need to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit.
Is any of this or all of it possible for me to do or am I fighting a losing battle.
I appreciate any and all input.
I would also like to add that we got my son the Collectors Edition of SWTOR for Christmas. He is a HUGE Star Wars fan and we would like to have it on the computer for him ready for Christmas.
Thanks again for any help.

I couldn't get to asus site for this board but found this

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7mk5_OROWngAdG9XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByc2FtNTRpBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNgRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=12mpeds07/EXP=1323658425/**http%3a//www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/K9AG_Neo2-Digital_(MS-7368).html

kinda useless to think about putting a "good" cpu on this board because none are sup[ported. all you can do is put another "bad" cpu on this board ( with appropriate BIOS )

as far as gpu... ??? wouldn't go too grand on it. are you using on board video now ?