Nvidia geforce FX 5200 doesn't work

BUBBA_80

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I reformatted my computer about a month ago and while I have the above graphics card installed, it wouldn't work. I downloaded the appropriate driver from Nvidia's home page and while that helped, it doesn't allow me to designate whether my TV is to be a clone etc. In other words I don't have a control panel. The only thing that shows on my TV is the windows theme (no desktop icons even).

BUBBA_80

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
It isn't in the drop box. I had to go to Nvidia's home page and download a driver to get my monitor settings to show and they only show which monitor is which and to extend my desktop to the TV. Also, when I do that it doesn't show the same icons. At first it didn't show any and this morning it showed about 75% but weren't in proper order.

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Desktop with no icons?
Sounds like you have the extended desktop enabled in windows display properties.
Is supose to work that way.You can drop icons on the extended desktop.

If you do not want that disable it.Then you can clone the display. Cloning and extended option are mutualy exclusive

I can´t tell you exactly how because you did not mention your OS version and Nvidia drivers version.

BUBBA_80

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

You were right, I had extended my desktop to the TV and that's where the missing icons went to. They all returned when I unchecked the extend box. My OS is XP Home and the driver I'm using is 175.19. I have also downloaded and used a 71.89 driver, I can't tell the difference between the two, I still don't have a control panel for either.

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Maybe because is a WHQL version Not all instal a quick bar icon.

If they didn´t the Nvidia control panel are located at :

Start -> Control Panel (click to open ) -> Nvidia Control panels (click to open)-> Display

Also is the Nview Destop Manager

BUBBA_80

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
OK, here is the answer to all of my problems. I went to one of my old computer help sites and the Co-founder recommended downloading and running SlimDrivers. SlimDrivers finds all of your outdated or missing drivers and lets you install them. I did and all is well now. I have the Nvidia control panel and am finishing tweaking the settings in.