Need advice for a new build

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I want to build a gaming system based on an i5 3570k and a z77 motherboard. I am swithing over from amd. I've looked at boards on newegg, and to be honest, none of them have great reviews. I'm really confused because i don't know much about intel systems. This i do know. The board must be 12" x 9.6". The setup must be able to run DDR3 1600 natively. My last system used a gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 which had dolby home theater sound. I want good sound. I want to run sli. I have a power supply and graphics card that i can use. I just don't have any idea of the intel numbering and so on. Any help is appreciated and thanks.

Solution
I don't think that extreme 6 1600MHz is OC. Are you buying a new system are be using the components like ram, PSU, hdd, graphics card from your older setup?
If your cards support 1600MHz use it. If it doesnot you have to overclock it.
If you are buying new ram cards go for corsair dominator or vengeance.

Xttony

Distinguished
Get a ASRock Z77 extreme 6 at $160
If you can go for a little more
GIgabyte G1.Sniper 3 $260
Either way you can get a sound card for your audion needs. Cards like ASUS xonar and creative xi-fi are pretty good.
I hope you are going for 2 cards SLI and not with 3 cards, if that is so both the boards can suit you needs.

G

I looked at that board on newegg. It's $151.99 plus a 10% promo code. Now thats a bargain. I formerly had an asrock 890fx deluxe 4 and it was nothing but trouble. They had the default ram voltage set at 1.65 so it would freeze in the bios. you had to get in there quick to change it, then save and exit.
I'd be willing to give them a second chance. I will be using windows 7 home premium so the limit is 16gb of ram. What do you suggest? I used Kingston HyperX on my last rig. 1600 was an o/c setting in the bios and i want it to run natively at 1600.

Xttony

Distinguished
I don't think that extreme 6 1600MHz is OC. Are you buying a new system are be using the components like ram, PSU, hdd, graphics card from your older setup?
If your cards support 1600MHz use it. If it doesnot you have to overclock it.
If you are buying new ram cards go for corsair dominator or vengeance.

Solution
G

I have a seasonic X660 psu and evga gtx 560 ti 448 classified ultra. I'll need to buy everything else.

G

This is an old post that needs to be closed. I believe ivy bridge or haswell are the only ones which will run at 1600 natively. The amd fx will run at 1866, but with only 2 sticks. Actually i ended up with another phenom, so anything past 1333 is an overclock setting. I bought kingston hyperx ddr3 1600 with the xmp profile. my amd 990fx board recognises it and when i select profile 1, it puts everything right where is should be. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.