Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will this system work?

Last response: in Systems
December 11, 2011 4:23:25 PM

Hey sorry for waiting forever to choose a best answer! Putting together this computer was fantastically fun... all went really smooth! The case is big enough to fit everything and have room for expansion which is great. I wish I had more time to put into using it but now that the school semester has started I haven't had much of a chance to really test this machine to the fullest. I have had no problems with it so far, and it has performed very well. Well worth the investment... Thanks again Kajabla for all of your input, you obviously win BA for this thread.

*With a lot of help from Kajabla I finally decided on a build. Everything below is what I ordered. And now we play the waiting game...

SUBTOTAL FOR ALL PARTS: $787.92

Hello everyone,

I've never built my own computer before, so I wanted to make sure that the system would work before I bought any parts.

First of all, I would be using this computer for a variety of things, but the main use for this computer would be gaming. Since gaming computers require decent processor/video card, it basically encapsulates anything else I'd really need to do. I may also be running multiple virtual machines. Some people say that having six cores is overkill, but even though more and more games are utilizing multiple cores, would it still be a good idea to reduce to a quad-core? I'm trying to make a lasting build.

I'm not really trying to skimp on any parts, but anything that seems like it would be underutilized please let me know. I'm trying to keep the costs as low as possible but still allow me to play games that I enjoy on high settings, preferably ultra but really not necessary. (I.E Skyrim would be awesome)

Here is my build below, I'm pretty sure all parts are compatible but I could be wrong it is my first build!

$220 Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

200$ Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDE00ZFBGRBOX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$125 Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

$135 Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

$35 CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R1 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

$30 CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve
(Plan to OC) 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

$230 Graphics Card: MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

$280 ($250 w/ rebate) Graphics Card: XFX HD-695X-CDFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

$30 Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Hard Drive: Waiting til prices drop, going to use a temp.

$19 Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW
16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

$70 Power Supply: SILVERSTONE Strider Essential series ST60F-ES 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

$90 Power Supply: OCZ ZS Series 650W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel
Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

$50 Computer Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

TOTAL: ~$800 I want to keep this under $900 so any weak points anyone spots I still have room to move.

They are all on Newegg so if links don't work google the description and it should pop up. I'm not sure if the power supply would be overkill, or if I can get by with a slightly lesser processor.

My biggest concerns are bottlenecks so if you think I have one let me know!

Also, does anyone know if the components will fit in this case? It seems big enough but I have no way to be sure. Any suggestions with that will be greatly appreciated.

For this build would I need a sound card? The motherboard says it has an on board audio chip set, but I'm not sure if that means I can skip the sound card. I've been told on board sound is plenty.

Any and ALL help is appreciated, and remember, it's my first time, so be gentle!

More about : system work

December 11, 2011 5:04:30 PM

I'm not sure if running multiple virtual machines benefits from the six core, but generally the Intel i5-2500K is considered the best gaming CPU today. It can be had for approximately the same price as that AMD X6.

OCZ PSU are not known for their quality. You'll want to look at Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, Antec.

It looks pretty good mostly, especially for a first timer, well done :) 
Score
December 11, 2011 5:36:06 PM

Hey thanks Finneous! Yeah I spent a lot of time trying to decide what to put into it. I'll take a look at the Intel i5. I'll also see what other options are available to use for a power supply. The OCZ had good reviews, but its always worth another look. Better to be safe than sorry!
Score
Related resources
December 11, 2011 5:53:57 PM

Any other suggestions are welcome. I want to be absolutely sure that I have a setup that will last around 3 years, with possible upgrades in between!
Score

Best solution

December 11, 2011 5:59:28 PM

Yep, 2500K for sure. It's better in almost all situations, and by miles in gaming.

The 912 will be plenty big enough.

You definitely don't need a sound card. Mobo sound has improved greatly, and processors are now good enough that sound processing, which has not become significantly more complex, is a practically negligible CPU load.

That's expensive for a 6950. You could get a $230 OCed MSI 560 Ti which would be just about the same performance-wise ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ), and you'd get Nvidia's drivers too. They've been better recently.

I think OCZ is fine as a brand, but the PSU you've picked is overkill. A 550W would be plenty, or a 600 to be extra safe (PSUs lose some of their capacity as they age).
Silverstone (high quality) 600W, $60 after rebate and $75 before: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The 212+ has gone up in price a bit, and now the 212 EVO is just $4 more. Go with that; it's significantly better.
December 11, 2011 6:28:34 PM

Hey thanks a lot kaj!

I'm still not familiar with good prices for current hardware so it's nice to know there are people who can give me some insight!

I'm not worried about overclocking the processor because I know how easy it is, but when it comes to the video card I'm a little hesitant, I don't think I'd be willing to overclock the video card.

Would there be an alternative video card that would be a good buy? My total price seems to be getting lower which is good, it actually gives me the option to get improved parts instead of sacrificing on vital areas!
Score
December 11, 2011 6:32:06 PM

That MSI is the best alternative. It's factory-OCed; you don't have to do anything yourself. It should be better than that stock 6950.
Score
December 11, 2011 6:45:58 PM

Will the amount of memory affect the performance much? The 6950 has 2GB whereas the MSI has only 1GB.
Score
December 11, 2011 6:46:48 PM

Not at all. If you have a multi-monitor gaming setup, yes. Otherwise, no.
Score
December 11, 2011 7:01:23 PM

Yeah I started looking up bench tests with 2GB vs 1GB and it looked like there was almost no difference. Thanks again for your input. I'm really glad that I can get input from a veteran! It's helping me understand a lot more than I could ever understand alone. Also gives me peace of mind that the system I'm building will actually be worth the time and money!
Score
December 11, 2011 7:03:07 PM

Tom's dude :D 
Score
December 11, 2011 7:47:45 PM

Alright guys, I'm getting very close to dedicating to this build. I'm hoping to make the purchase by the end of the day, so if there is anything that anything that anyone wants to bring up do it!!! Don't stay silent help me out!
Score
December 12, 2011 1:20:41 AM

Are you getting the Ti? Everything else is good and up-to-date in the above build list except that.
Score
December 12, 2011 1:36:36 AM

I'm actually trying to decide right now. I'm not getting the one currently posted, but I'm looking into either getting one closer to 300$ without the "free game" or getting the Ti. I'm trying to compare a few before I make my final decision. If I can't find one for $300 that is a significant jump then I am going to go with the Ti. Thanks again for the constant help, seems like you are the only one helping out!
Score
December 12, 2011 1:56:34 AM

Go for 560ti like evga or asus
Score
December 12, 2011 2:08:49 AM

OK! I made the purchase. I decided to go with your suggestion and get the overclocked Ti. It just seemed like for the price it outmatched everything else in the same bracket. Thanks a lot kajabla for all of your help!

I will be back hopefully this weekend to post how it went putting it together!
Score
January 20, 2012 1:03:00 AM

(Pick a BA to close the topic)
Score
January 29, 2012 11:15:16 PM

Best answer selected by casualkid66.
Score
January 29, 2012 11:31:54 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!