christianelliott

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
hi guys! i am going to build a computer, and i am deciding on cpus. i am looking at barebone kits on tigerdirect, or just building with my own parts. one of the kits has an i5-2500k processor. i was wondering how this compared with the fx amd 8 core processesor (in a different kit) and the amd x6 1045t processor in yet another kit. there is about a one hundred dollar proce difference between the intel processor, and what i think are its equals in amd. some say that amd is worse quality, but it is much cheaper. i dont know what to do. regardless of whether i build or build a barebones kit, which processor should i get? (between the three listed)

Solution
The issue I recently ran into is that FX chips are not "true" 4,6,8 core CPU's. They are arranged into "modules" containing 2 integer processing units and a shared floating point processor per module. So an 8 core FX has 4 modules/ 8 integer processing unit's and 4 floating point processors. This is a very innovative design but imo ahead of it's time as due to the internal architecture of the FX chips not being very efficient and also windows 7 is not very well optimized for bulldozer to make that situation any better. This technology was inspired from "hyperthreading" and meant to take it to the next level with dedicated on chip resources per thread, it didn't really work out how AMD had hoped. I just traded my FX-4100 in for a 960T...
As far as gaming performance goes, 2500k is the king. As far as having reasonable frame rates goes, any of those 3 options are fine. AMD tends to have really awesome motherboard chipsets, which helps with future upgrades. Intel likes to replace their chipsets every couple years...

If you are trying to save money, the FX 8150 is probably the better option ($100 less you said?). No, it can't quite push the frame rates like the 2500k, but it still achieves very respectable playability and overclocks nicely.

Like WR2 said, links to the actual kits can help as you may be getting a bad motherboard or something.

mercer95

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
if you can wait 3-4 weeks until ivy bridge is out you could get that which is supposed to be 15% better than the sandy bridge(2500k) , also the sand bridge will more than likely drop in price, if you do go for the ivy bridge bear in mind that you will need a ivy bridge compatible mobo so that might cost a bit more.

I really like the idea of waiting for Ivy Bridge for a couple of reasons.
One of them is just having an extra choice. Plus options for both Sandy Bridge and FX-8150 to drop in price some.
Could save you from Buyers Remorse - or at least confirm in your mind you're getting a really good deal.

On those TD kits. They give you some nice parts - but then ruin things by stucking in an Ultra or DiabloTec budgety PSU. So be careful about all the parts in a kit.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

there are a load of motherboards that are going to have a bios update to support ivy bridge

if you get one that is going to support ivy bridge now. make sure it has pci-e 3

the pic-e 3 boards will drop in price and more will become availible when ivy bridge is released quite soon

cmi86

Distinguished
The issue I recently ran into is that FX chips are not "true" 4,6,8 core CPU's. They are arranged into "modules" containing 2 integer processing units and a shared floating point processor per module. So an 8 core FX has 4 modules/ 8 integer processing unit's and 4 floating point processors. This is a very innovative design but imo ahead of it's time as due to the internal architecture of the FX chips not being very efficient and also windows 7 is not very well optimized for bulldozer to make that situation any better. This technology was inspired from "hyperthreading" and meant to take it to the next level with dedicated on chip resources per thread, it didn't really work out how AMD had hoped. I just traded my FX-4100 in for a 960T that unlocked to a 6 core 1600T OC'd to 3.7Ghz w/ 1.4 volts. It's not a guarantee your chip will unlock but if it does at these clock's it is comparable to a 2500K in most everything while saving you some cash to put towards a better GPU.

Solution

cmi86

Distinguished
I completely forgot to add the while point of my comment lol, floating point processing is extremely important to gaming situations and the shared floating point architecture of the FX chips are not ideal for gaming.

christianelliott

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

ive heard that too, that they arent really what they seem, but i thought it was a rumor. too bad its true :( anyway, thanks for the help. i think ill go with the 2500k