Upgrade with 460

Ridigulous

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
Right now I have a 460 clocked at 890/1000 and games are starting to catch up. I was looking at another 460 but then games are also catching up to the 1gb vram mark. So I set my eyes on the MSI twin frozr III 570 but then I hear about the new gen gpus coming out and was just F'N confused. I don't mind not able to max out games, but I just feel I am not doing my system justice running with a single 460 lol.

2500k 4.5ghz
P8P67 Pro
8gb g.skills
HX 850
NH-D14
NZXT PHANTOM

cuecuemore

Distinguished
What resolution are you playing at? I wouldn't go for a 570 (don't get me wrong, it's a great card) at this point, I'd either grab another 460 or wait 2 months for Southern Islands or 3-4 months for Kepler and second wave Southern Islands.

cuecuemore

Distinguished

That's the general consensus. I run 460s in SLI, and I would definitely hold off as even the 7800s (tentatively scheduled for December release) are going to beat the 570, the 7850 by a little and the 7870 by a lot. I'd also be goin AMD if I were in the market right now, but I am eager to see what Kepler looks like.

460 in SLI will hold you for sometime. the same goes with peoples with single GTX580 unless you want to max out any game out there no matter what. i know there are people like to max out the everything even if it does not make much difference visually if they tone down the setting just for the sake to max it out. honestly i'm very interested what nvidia will do with Kepler to counter AMD 7k series but to me it seems nvidia don't want rush their product. if they really aim to release the card in jan '12 or early 2012 we should hear more about it by now

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
Just curious. What games? Or are you riding the 'my card is bigger than your card' pony?
If you are actually pushing that 460 card to 890, youre doing better than you deserve.
Nvidia 460's, IMHO, are the best cards in the past 5 years.

brandondiep

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Well I mostly play Fps games such as bf3, mw3, some RPG games and what not. Bf3 beta really pushed my system and it was only on med settings, bf on Max is running 1.3 gbs of vram which the 460s dont have. This is my real acct i madw that because i forgot my password lol

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
Nvidia already has 1.5Gb and 2Gb cards. I you're running a 3 monitor rig at High, it could be useful.
I would suspect many people use the best they can afford. If ya' got $$$ to blow, why ask us? Just buy the Biggest and Baddest and be done with it..

2GB is not nvidia standard. to date nvidia only put 1.5GB VRAM max as their standard (for high end). too add another 1.5GB of RAM to the card is the board partner choice. that's why you don't see every nvidia vendor out there releasing GTX580 with 3GB of VRAM. the same goes for any nvidia card with 2GB VRAM you see in the market. AFAIK only cards that made for OEM have excessive VRAM installed since for OEM moar is better regardless of technical spec such as this:

http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/GPUs/geforce-gtx-560-oem/specifications

brandondiep

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
If the 570 had 2gb of ram which would not cost a lot more to add. I would be on that right away, then sli them when they drop in price. I was gonna get a 6970 but a lot of people are bashing their drivers.